Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Isles are apparently in discussions with the Mets about moving to Queens.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-21/nhl-s-islanders-said-considering-a-move-to-queens-with-mets-help

Idea appears to be to build an arena next door to Citi Field.

Just hope minimal or no taxpayer dollars would be involved.  Otherwise, this would be a good thing for Isles fans and the league in general. 

Man, just about everything the Wilpons touch turns to sh!t...I'd be terrified if I was Islander fan because of that fact alone, heh heh.  Hopefully a potential new arena won't be a shrine to the Brooklyn Dodgers...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Do you guys honestly think they'd entertain building ANOTHER new arena and moving the Islanders again before just relocating the team?

I really can't see yet another arena in this area. There are only so many events that can fill these arenas as it is. If it's all privately funded I wouldn't care but we all know that wouldn't happen anyway. 

I too do not see this as a great idea.  Like others said 3 arenas already in the area.  

Secondly, Citi is not going to be easy for fans to attend.  Not during the week.  They will have the same issues they had at Nassau Coliseum.  The person who works in the city generally can't get home and then in the car to Queens for a game.  It is a much different animal than the Mets.  The Mets draw from all over the city, LI, I even know a few people in NJ who do attend games.  Islanders?  The greater majority of their fans are in Nassau and Suffolk. Queens despite popular belief is not an Islanders stronghold.  Secondly, the Mets play 81 home games and can get away with lighter crowds during the week.  Islanders?  Not a good idea.  The LIRR for the city worker is not an option.  Citi Field is on the Port Washington line, so their trains do not go through Jamaica.  Penn Station to Woodside, then to the Pt Washington line, which is in Northwest Nassau.  So, anyone not living on the Port Washington line has to go back to Woodside, then get a train to Jamaica, and then likely change at Jamaica to get home.  Could easily be a 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  

HOWEVER, they have begun to tear down some of the buildings (chop shops) out behind right field.  Post 44,810 in this thread shows a pic from the train platform.  I do know when Citi first started going up, there was talking of the city taking the chop shops through eminent domain to develop the area.  Not sure if this is the start or if it doesn't have anything do with it at all.  http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?88673-Citi-Field/page1793

Edited by Matteau#32

5 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

I too do not see this as a great idea.  Like others said 3 arenas already in the area.  

Secondly, Citi is not going to be easy for fans to attend.  Not during the week.  They will have the same issues they had at Nassau Coliseum.  The person who works in the city generally can't get home and then in the car to Queens for a game.  It is a much different animal than the Mets.  The Mets draw from all over the city, LI, I even know a few people in NJ who do attend games.  Islanders?  The greater majority of their fans are in Nassau and Suffolk. Queens despite popular belief is not an Islanders stronghold.  Secondly, the Mets play 81 home games and can get away with lighter crowds during the week.  Islanders?  Not a good idea.  The LIRR for the city worker is not an option.  Citi Field is on the Port Washington line, so their trains do not go through Jamaica.  Penn Station to Woodside, then to the Pt Washington line, which is in Northwest Nassau.  So, anyone not living on the Port Washington line has to go back to Woodside, then get a train to Jamaica, and then likely change at Jamaica to get home.  Could easily be a 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  

Not good but not completely terrible considering when I used to take the train to the Prudential Center I would take it from the Somerville station.  That alone without delays is about 70ish minutes and cost $22.00 round trip and that's a straight shot!

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not good but not completely terrible considering when I used to take the train to the Prudential Center I would take it from the Somerville station.  That alone without delays is about 70ish minutes and cost $22.00 round trip and that's a straight shot!

I don't live out there anymore, so no idea what the cost is.  When I moved in 2003, I think it was $10 round trip from anywhere in Nassau to Penn.  Not sure on just to Jamaica.  I took the LIRR from Pt Washington to Shea once for the 99 Play-offs against the Braves.  I didn't live in Port Washington, but it was a Friday Night game and I figured the traffic would be terrible.  Drove to Pt Washington and took train. Easy ride, but not sure how many the Pt Washington station could accommodate.  I could be wrong, but I do not think the parking lot is very big.

They are better off in Brooklyn.  In time, their bread and butter will be the person who works in the City and live on LI.  From Brooklyn, you can get home via LIRR to any station EXCEPT those on the Port Washington line.  The person coming from LI to the game can also take the train.  Plenty of Rangers fans take the train in from LI to games at MSG, Isles fans can do it too.

Edited by Matteau#32

1 minute ago, Matteau#32 said:

Does NYCFC really have enough of a following to get it's own stadium/arena?  Was there talk of building them something at Randall's Island?  Thought I remember that story, but I could be wrong.

I'm a red bulls fan but  their crowds have been 30k+ for most of their games. They would do fine with a 25 to 30k soccer stadiun but it's the same problem as to where is it going to be and who is going to pay for it. There's been a bunch of different rumors including next to citi field as well. I think they will be at Yankee Stadium for a long time. 

28 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm a red bulls fan but  their crowds have been 30k+ for most of their games. They would do fine with a 25 to 30k soccer stadiun but it's the same problem as to where is it going to be and who is going to pay for it. There's been a bunch of different rumors including next to citi field as well. I think they will be at Yankee Stadium for a long time. 

30K?  Wow.  Really thought it was more of a 5-10 type crowd.  I don't follow MLS at all, so really had no idea.

Gonna miss the Farnham a$$holery - not.

Good for him finding another deal.  Are the MC that hard up, really? I would think he spends the huge majority in the minors or working the nachos.  

Damn the rags overspent on Kreider imo.

So Evander Kane turned himself in on misdemeanor charges for what looks like some kind of altercation at a bar.   Whatever it is, sounds like something that wouldn't have gone anywhere had he not been a local celebrity, so I don't think it's that serious. 

There have already been rumors about the Sabres shopping him, now I imagine the price goes down even more.  Would love to buy low on him and then do something like look into trading Cammelleri as part of a deal for Fowler or Shattenkirk. 

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So Evander Kane turned himself in on misdemeanor charges for what looks like some kind of altercation at a bar.   Whatever it is, sounds like something that wouldn't have gone anywhere had he not been a local celebrity, so I don't think it's that serious. 

There have already been rumors about the Sabres shopping him, now I imagine the price goes down even more.  Would love to buy low on him and then do something like look into trading Cammelleri as part of a deal for Fowler or Shattenkirk. 

I would stay as far away from Kane as possible, guy seems like a major head case and a locker room cancer. I also think Kane is massively overrated, he's never has any spectacular seasons but people treat him like he's an all star.

EDIT: Also, if he's getting in this much trouble for partying and altercations in Buffalo NY of all places, I can only imagine what we'd have on our hands if he was across the river from NYC.

Edited by CommonDreads

On 7/17/2016 at 0:46 PM, vadvlfan said:

I'll bet there was NYR discussion in reference to Shattenkirk. Like St. Louis asking for a generous return. CK being part of it.  I'm sure Shattenkirk would sign in NY long term. 

But he'll want a bundle.  Is NY ready/willing to do that?  I just think Shero's put Devils in a good place where they can absorb a bigger salary.  I love being closer to salary floor where you're in a position to do something quickly, if need be not have to move out high salaries to do so.  

Not at all. They sign Kreider for an affordable $4.625 million AAV over the next 4 years. A similar deal to Palmeiri except 1 less year. Gorton is having a good summer. Traded Brassard to clear space and picked up Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick. 

My story: Rangers, Kreider agree on new contract

Absolutely not.

2 hours ago, Onddeck said:

wayyyyyy OT:

but is anyone here from Edgewater?  I was there this past weekend and that place is soooo nice

I live 5 minutes from Edgewater, on the upper side of the cliffs (North Bergen/Cliffside Park area). Great area, wouldn't think about moving from here if I even got paid to!