GDT: Nashville Predators @ NJ Devils 7pm

eaglejelly

Some random dude added me to one group "Devils all day all night i think"... at first i was like.. fine let's see what's up. But i had to leave that fvcking thing after like 2 weeks i just couldn't stand it anymore. It was more of a Rangers hate club than anything. People posting pictures of them flipping the finger to someone's back wearing a rangers jersey... i mean... how low is that. You wanna act cool at least take the picture with that person looking at you lol not with their back turned. And that's just one example.

I'm not saying the whole fanbase is like that but from what i've seen.... there IS an inferiority complex going on with this fanbase at the moment let's no kid ourselves... i've seen comebacks to that observation bringing up our cups and bla bla.... that was over 10 years ago... maybe we should stop bringing up the Rangers living in the past if our only defence is what we did in the past.

Now there's even fans trying to make fun of other team's attendance... lol i mean really? Our team is in a terrible terrible spot right now and it's really bringing the worst out of us really. Trying to use any methods to make us feel better but it's quite hard to find these days.

Most people knows that my personal rivalry is more against Habs fans than Rangers fans because of where i live... I use to be able to shut any of them easily cause my team's success could back me up lol that's gone now. So now when they make fun of the Devils situation and bragging about their team's succes, so all i can say is that my team may suck and their team is doing good. Cool.

But the only thing we can control as fans is how we act as a fanbase. And well that's always my comeback to any trash talk attempts now. "My team may suck... but it's not as if i have anything to do with it. I'm not playing the game, i'm just watching. But you... you're part of the worst fanbase in the history of the league... No other teams have as much collective idiotic episodes than your fanbase (the rocket riot, the pacioretty chara thing, the riot in 93, all the manifestations, etc etc etc) and there's not even a close 2nd honestly. So if you're proud of that and wanna brag about it. Good on you."

the same could be said about the Rangers fanbase, no other team has done as much ridiculous over the top ceremonies, keep living in the past and hanging 80 banners per seasons and all that crap.

so yeah, i'm really hoping our fanbase is not becoming worst and worst .

There's more to it than an "inferiority complex". I wouldn't really expect you to understand it, because A., you're not from here, and B., I'm not sure I can even relate to what you consider a rivalry. You don't follow a rival team, and (I think you're from the province of New Brunswick) you don't live in a rival geography or anything. Unless you were a Nordiques fan, it seems like you don't like the Canadiens because they're the prominent team there and get all the coverage.

I get that you don't understand what it means to have a New Jersey identity, and I get that you don't have to deal with living near Rangers fans, but this is one of the most authentic and intense rivalries in North American sports, and saying that it's fueled by an inferiority complex is insulting. We're not sitting around trying to one up Rangers fans in arguments, we (a lot of us, I suppose there are exceptions, don't jump down my throat) just don't like the Rangers or Rangers fans.

As for Facebook though, yea. The dumbest groups of Devils fans congregate on Facebook.

hahahahahaha and there are still fans on FB that think this is a playoff team.

Can't say I didn't see this coming but it is what it is.  Just got to ride it out for another year or two.

Hey, ya never know which other teams might have a season-ending injury of their star....such is the only hope we have at being competitive in March... 

Anyway, as always LGD !!

There's more to it than an "inferiority complex". I wouldn't really expect you to understand it, because A., you're not from here, and B., I'm not sure I can even relate to what you consider a rivalry. You don't follow a rival team, and (I think you're from the province of New Brunswick) you don't live in a rival geography or anything. Unless you were a Nordiques fan, it seems like you don't like the Canadiens because they're the prominent team there and get all the coverage.

I get that you don't understand what it means to have a New Jersey identity, and I get that you don't have to deal with living near Rangers fans, but this is one of the most authentic and intense rivalries in North American sports, and saying that it's fueled by an inferiority complex is insulting. We're not sitting around trying to one up Rangers fans in arguments, we (a lot of us, I suppose there are exceptions, don't jump down my throat) just don't like the Rangers or Rangers fans.

As for Facebook though, yea. The dumbest groups of Devils fans congregate on Facebook.

oh dude trust me I get that and i didn't mean to be insulting.

I do know how rivalry works. I grew up in region where we had french and english schools and played really competitive sports growing up and there was a HUGE rivalry between french and english people. Lot's of friction and it was getting really nasty. It was also not staying on the field. We'd have to watch our back at parties and at the club/bar.

I do stand by my inferiority complex statement though and I did say that not everyone in the fanbase is like that of course, so don't take offence if you're not part of that. Sure through rivalries you don't like your rivals. But there's a limit and a way to go at it. If you go out of your way all the time to just bash the other side more than you take time to appreciate your side, that's a problem.

join a vegan group on fb and the people on there are not "promoting" the good sides of it but mostly just bash people eating meat and posting memes mocking meat eaters and that's all you see... there's clearly a Napoleon complex of some sort going on. lol 

I think there's definitely an inferiority complex on both sides of the Devils/Rangers rivalry. Of course we're the "little brother" who got little media coverage, even when winning championships every other year (and even less now). Have to deal with anywhere from 15-40% obnoxious Rags fans in our building during a matchup.

And you know it killed them how they went years without beating us and watched us win all those cups. Also, it's pretty crazy that NJ, in ~35 years of existence, arguably have better legends than the Rangers. Do they really have anyone better than Marty, Stevens, Elias, Niedermayer? I guess Leetch, Richter, Gilbert, Messier (if you can really consider him a Ranger).

I think there's definitely an inferiority complex on both sides of the Devils/Rangers rivalry. Of course we're the "little brother" who got little media coverage, even when winning championships every other year (and even less now). Have to deal with anywhere from 15-40% obnoxious Rags fans in our building during a matchup.

And you know it killed them how they went years without beating us and watched us win all those cups. Also, it's pretty crazy that NJ, in ~35 years of existence, arguably have better legends than the Rangers. Do they really have anyone better than Marty, Stevens, Elias, Niedermayer? I guess Leetch, Richter, Gilbert, Messier (if you can really consider him a Ranger).

A lot of Rag fans will probably try to tell you Leetch was better than Nieds (they'd be wrong), and that Messier invented the sport (he didn't). Also, Rag fans will try and tell you that Messier is primarily a Ranger, not an Oiler (wrong again). This is exacerbated further when you consider Messier led the Oilers to the Cup in '94, but the Oilers relocated to NY that season and played games as the Rangers. Gilbert was a good player, but a loser and a drunk. Richter was very good, but not HOF worthy. So, to answer your question- no. Edited by MadDog2020

I have to agree with SD, there is a lot of an inferiority complex coming from a good portion of our fans plain and simple.  This is not something that can be hidden under the old "well it's a rivalry!" blanket.

An example is the Yankees and Red Sox rivalry.  When the Yankees are not playing the Red Sox, you will hear some random bashing of them, but the fans do not do a united chant throughout the stadium to mock the Red Sox while the Yankees are playing Tampa Bay in said game.  Devils fans will use any excuse in the book to sing songs about the Rangers, take pics of giving the finger to Rangers fans behind their backs, and obsess about their team in general while trying to claim its just rivalry.  It's inferiority plain and simple.

Next time people go to the rock, count how many times there is a strong Let's go Devils chant in the arena during the game versus chants bashing the other teams and Rangers during the game.  It's sad.

I have to agree with SD, there is a lot of an inferiority complex coming from a good portion of our fans plain and simple. This is not something that can be hidden under the old "well it's a rivalry!" blanket.

An example is the Yankees and Red Sox rivalry. When the Yankees are not playing the Red Sox, you will hear some random bashing of them, but the fans do not do a united chant throughout the stadium to mock the Red Sox while the Yankees are playing Tampa Bay in said game. Devils fans will use any excuse in the book to sing songs about the Rangers, take pics of giving the finger to Rangers fans behind their backs, and obsess about their team in general while trying to claim its just rivalry. It's inferiority plain and simple.

Next time people go to the rock, count how many times there is a strong Let's go Devils chant in the arena during the game versus chants bashing the other teams and Rangers during the game. It's sad.

In the first 10 minutes of the game on Friday, there were no less than four 'Rangers suck, Flyers swallow' chants. At one point a guy sitting behind me just yelled out 'ENOUGH'!! (this was before the loudest chant of the night was of course YOU SUCK after our only goal, courtesy of that fvcking mouth-breather with the vuvuzela). It's fvcking ridiculous, but I doubt it'll change because the a$$holes driving the bus on this type of stuff are incredibly obnoxious, incredibly stupid, incredibly immature, and lack an astonishing amount of self-awareness... And, sadly, they appear to be in the majority at most games. Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

The attendance tonight is pathetic. I've seen more people in the crowd for mid week beer league games. Churches and libraries are louder. It's going to be a loooonnnggg season.

Tonight has some other reasons cause there are other events going on here as well, mets being able to advance at home and the USA men's soccer team is playing over at Red bull arena. Plenty of other sporting options tonight especially with this bad Devils team. I chose the Devils game cause while yes they are bad at least they didn't lose to Mexico on home soil.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Btw kudos to the Devils on the new programs. They are free and hand them out when you walk in. It just has the rosters and some news & notes but it's a nice addition compared to paying for the programs.

Wow that's awesome, I always thought it was total bullsh!t that teams of all sports charged for programs. Very cool they have the basics given out for free! Thanks for the info.