GDT: Nashville Predators @ NJ Devils 7pm

eaglejelly

This team is hot garbage. I won't pay more than the price of a movie for this. $20 just to have something to do for a few hours in the rink, I'm probably more excited to go to Hobby's pregame. The Mets have nothing to do with this. The team sucks, the pricing is out of whack and that's it. 

Honestly, I'm barely watching the team on TV because I know it'll just aggravate me. In the past, I used to drop everything and watch the team. The last few years I get so annoyed, if anyone invites me to an event/movie/show/whatever - I'm going to do that. I'll watch the highlights, read Gulitti and get the cliffnotes. 

This team is hot garbage. I won't pay more than the price of a movie for this. $20 just to have something to do for a few hours in the rink, I'm probably more excited to go to Hobby's pregame. The Mets have nothing to do with this. The team sucks, the pricing is out of whack and that's it. 

Honestly, I'm barely watching the team on TV because I know it'll just aggravate me. In the past, I used to drop everything and watch the team. The last few years I get so annoyed, if anyone invites me to an event/movie/show/whatever - I'm going to do that. I'll watch the highlights, read Gulitti and get the cliffnotes. 

Yeah thats exactly what ive been saying.

But it's showing how hardcore some fans are though. Look at Toronto lol its filled all the time eventhough everyone in that building has never see the team win anything. 

The Mets have a sh!tload to do with it actually... The attendance would've sucked last night regardless, the Mets having a clinching game puts an even bigger dent in that. I remember going to a Devils-Winnipeg game back in October 1995, it was maybe the second home game of that season, coming off our first Cup... The announced attendance that night was under 10,000. And that was off a CUP. So believe whatever the hell you want, this team doesn't draw well early in the season, they never have, and it has very little to do with the team sucking, because they draw flies to games like this when they're good. Edited by MadDog2020

This x100...which is why it will always piss me off when fans (some Devils fans) would piss on the horrible crowds in Long Island, Atlanta, Carolina or talk about bandwagon fans. "Where were all of you 5 years ago". That's something you'll hear being said about the Blackhawks or Penguins, Boston, LA fans by most people. I hate all that.

Sports are supposed to be entertaining. It's something you want to look forward to and enjoy. It is so hard getting behind something and putting important $$ towards when the product is going to suck, and there is a good chance your team is going to lose.

This is only year 1 of the Devils really taking a step back. Even though they have missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons, there was excitement and expectations ranging from moderate to large. This is the first time being a Devils fan where I could have said before the season with confidence that they won't make the playoffs. It's really tough watching games let alone paying for games when that is the case. 

In the back of my head, I've always known that. If and when the team improves, has young stars, plays an exciting brand of hockey...and maybe the place is full many of the nights, I won't be calling those fans returning bandwagon fans.

You're right.  There's nothing that really "motivates" me to watch this group of players other than my love for hockey.  My love for hockey doesn't give me any right to spend over $25 bucks to watch this group of glorified minor league forwards.

I know the expectations are low - which is fine. This down year is needed and I'm OK with that. I still support the team, watch when i can, go when it makes sense, but it's not must see right now. Especially for $100 a good seat. 

Pretty much where I am.  Hoping to get to 2-3 games with my 7-year-old daughter in tow (she hasn't seen much in the way of wins (or even Devil goals) when I've taken her previously).  Once the Mets' season ends I'll be paying a lot more attention to the Devils than I am at the moment.  It's always tough when you're in this "in between" phase...you've gotten rid of some deadwood and have taken a necessary step back to hopefully take one forward, but you don't have those one or two truly exciting "these guys are going to help their team get back to contention in 2-3 years" players, who show those tantalizing flashes of what they'll become.    

Pretty much where I am.  Hoping to get to 2-3 games with my 7-year-old daughter in tow (she hasn't seen much in the way of wins (or even Devil goals) when I've taken her previously). 

It's funny - I have taken my girls to about 10 games over the last 4 years and they've seen them win once. They've also only seen more than 2 goals in a game twice.

A lot of the teams will have issues drawing well the first few weeks to the month or so of the season. We talk about this every year. There's reasons in terms of other entertainment options, seasonal considerations, and of course the economics.

Even in the big markets there's often times a decent amount of empty seats for weekday games against marginal opponents or non rivals.

It's funny - I have taken my girls to about 10 games over the last 4 years and they've seen them win once. They've also only seen more than 2 goals in a game twice.

My daughter has yet to see more than two goals...she was still very young (two I think) when she saw the Devils beat the Stars 2-1, and went to the throwback game against the Pens (5-2 loss).  One year I took her to three games and she saw exactly one goal scored.  She gets into it with some "Let's go Devils!" chants, but sadly she has had so little to cheer about.  She doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.  She's also been sure as of late to let me know "The players on the TV can't hear you when you yell at them Daddy!"  Yes they can dammit!

My daughter has yet to see more than two goals...she was still very young (two I think) when she saw the Devils beat the Stars 2-1, and went to the throwback game against the Pens (5-2 loss).  One year I took her to three games and she saw exactly one goal scored.  She gets into it with some "Let's go Devils!" chants, but sadly she has had so little to cheer about.  She doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.  She's also been sure as of late to let me know "The players on the TV can't hear you when you yell at them Daddy!"  Yes they can dammit!

ha! daughters are the best.

....i still can't wait to get them off my payroll though.

A lot of the teams will have issues drawing well the first few weeks to the month or so of the season. We talk about this every year. There's reasons in terms of other entertainment options, seasonal considerations, and of course the economics.

Even in the big markets there's often times a decent amount of empty seats for weekday games against marginal opponents or non rivals.

Some teams way more than others, that would be us most years.  This year could be extra challenging. Casual fans are gonna go watch a bad team.