GDT: NJD @ OTT 7:30 PM

MB3

Not sure how they change that internally and is it worth giving something up to rectify that problem.

Elias coming back and slotting in with JJ might help a little bit. I wonder what Elias real deal is.

It's not - and as I said in another thread, I haven't seen most of the season. But I haven't been impressed with any of the new guys they've stuck down there so far.

I came away impressed by the Devils. I put it on right after I saw the end of the Rangers. They play so hard for Hynes. There's no quit. Stempniak fits in perfectly. Nice to see. I was more taken by your team's win. So I did a recap on your team.

Stempniak's late heroics give Devils third straight win

• Like 1

Wow stempniak is a fvcking steal and you guys were all complaining when we got him

Really, i dont remember anyone complaining. I think the attitude of most people had been one of "who cares, this team is going to be awful no matter what".

I haven't gone back to read the first few pages of this thread, so I apologize if this was already brought up. #44 might be the worst D man in the NHL. His no look, backhand play up the boards half way through the third is something I would bench a 16 year old for; totally inexcusable and of course, the puck ends up in NJ's net 5 seconds later. I know he has a hell of a shot, but I'm about done with him. Same mistakes over and over.

Congrats to the rest of the team for a great comeback, keep it rolling.

I'm so happy with the past few games but remember, fellas, we were 3-2-2 through our first 7 games last year. Rebuilding is a process and don't be shocked when we lose a few in a row. But, yeah, it's been fun these past few games.

I haven't gone back to read the first few pages of this thread, so I apologize if this was already brought up. #44 might be the worst D man in the NHL. His no look, backhand play up the boards half way through the third is something I would bench a 16 year old for; totally inexcusable and of course, the puck ends up in NJ's net 5 seconds later. I know he has a hell of a shot, but I'm about done with him. Same mistakes over and over.

Congrats to the rest of the team for a great comeback, keep it rolling.

I didn't catch this on the NJ broadcast, but if you watch the highlights of the game on the NHL.com you'll hear someone shout 'Boards!' right before Gelinas makes that pass.  So I think an Ottawa player tricked him.  Still, that's a rookie mistake from a guy who can't seem to stop making those kinds of errors.  I'm done with him too, but I suspect we have at least half a year left with him.

Im going to bring up something Tri said a year ago, that a penalty in the last 30 secs of OT should extend the OT for the full 2:00. that's twice we were hooked late

Should happen on any penalty in OT, period.  Either that or award penalty shots for penalties in the final minute.  

But I've come around on this one - I think all penalties in 3 on 3 OT should be penalty shots.  It seems like there are way more penalties in 3 on 3 OT than there were in 4 on 4, and a penalty shot is probably equally as likely to produce a goal as a 4 on 3 PP.

Should happen on any penalty in OT, period.  Either that or award penalty shots for penalties in the final minute.  

But I've come around on this one - I think all penalties in 3 on 3 OT should be penalty shots.  It seems like there are way more penalties in 3 on 3 OT than there were in 4 on 4, and a penalty shot is probably equally as likely to produce a goal as a 4 on 3 PP.

Penalty shot is a good idea. I'd buy it if the stats prove success rate probability is close to 4 v 3

gelanis is a special teams player, the quicker coach realizes that the better

Edited by EdgeControl

i just love to see breakouts with speed. In the past our breakout would be slow cause well... our players were slow, but also cause it really seem like the system was to slow down after the blue line. 

we'd almost never ever do cross passes and make plays once we'd get in the offensive zone. The puck carrier would go through the neutral zone, pass the blue line and slow down and stop by the hash marks waiting for everyone to come in and set the play in the zone. The only time we'd attempt scoring right off the rush would be on the PK. 

Penalty shot is a good idea. I'd buy it if the stats prove success rate probability is close to 4 v 3

gelanis is a special teams player, the quicker coach realizes that the better

I did the math on it for last year - teams had a goal differential of +11.76 per 60 minutes they had a 4 on 3 advantage.  So per full 2 minute power play, that's +.392 goals.  I'm not exactly sure how to convert that back into a percentage - it's not 39.2% - but let's say it's around 35%, that's around the shootout success rate.

I'm warming up to this team, but trying to keep perspective. They had a nice comeback and won a shootout. Maybe not a 2-goal comeback (there have been some), but there have been a good amount of games over the last three years where the team tied it late, and only lost in a shootout. Something as simple as that changes how well you feel about the team at the end of the night. 

As for the youth movement, I think we are seeing what many expected. Guys like Boucher, Gelinas, and Matteau vary from frustratingly awful, to probably not good, to meh right now. That may be simply, and a bit unfair...but it kind of shows that for this team to really turn the corner, they need to acquire top talent via the draft. So while winning is enjoyable, I know some losses with some shootout and OT losses moving forward will be more beneficial. 

But, good to see vets like Zajac, Henrique, and Stempniak playing well. Haven't caught many games yet this yr. How has Tlusty looked?

I'm so happy with the past few games but remember, fellas, we were 3-2-2 through our first 7 games last year. Rebuilding is a process and don't be shocked when we lose a few in a row. But, yeah, it's been fun these past few games.

I don't even think about last season's team vs today. I set my expectations low and am impressed we are 3-2-2 at this point. Like you I think rebuilding is a long process and in our case worth it. In the past 3 years I can't remember a game that matched last night's game. In the past 3 years at 4-2 they had one foot in the locker room.