Devils Claim Bobby Farnham off Waviers

Chimaira_Devil_#9

on the one hand, i don't think this is something needed by any team, let alone he devils. on the other hand, you've heard them say how much the palmieri and tootoo fights spurred them on to better play. now that might just be lip service and a thing that teammates say. so while a face puncher like PL3 or the like have no place anymore, perhaps an agitator that can at least skate serves a purpose. but at least tootoo and palmieri can do other things competently.

Assume this is a stopgap while Ruutu/Elias recovers? I suppose they want Boucher, Blandisi et al to get plenty of ice time in Albany rather than get 8 mins on the 4th line.

Hope that's the case, but you bring in these "lunch pail" players that former AHL coaches have affection for, and they end up hanging around more than you'd like. Time will tell.

Hope that's the case, but you bring in these "lunch pail" players that former AHL coaches have affection for, and they end up hanging around more than you'd like. Time will tell.

Agreed. I've like what I've seen from Hynes so far but some of his personnel have been a bit concerning. Between Tootoo on the PP, scratching Severson, not playing Gelinas on the PP (seriously, there's no point of him being in if he's not on the PP). Now bringing in a former goon. Idk not a fan of this

For what it's worth, a few Pens fan friends of mine (who actually know what they're talking about on hockey matters) were pretty bummed for most of yesterday about losing him on waivers. Obviously, you watch the highlight videos and get the sense he's a one-dimensional goon and that's it, but they said he's extremely fast, causes havoc on the forecheck, and maybe more importantly will draw a lot of penalties. 

Our power play has surprisingly been a key factor in a lot of these wins, we're in the top 10 PP % in the league. Maybe this is a decent move to plug a 4th line hole while putting someone in who'll get your PP unit on the ice an extra 1-2 times in his 10 or so minutes a game.  I think you'll remember last season where we would go 2-3 games without drawing a penalty sometimes. Our team was slow, not physical, and lacked the skill and speed to draw the penalties that come about from defensemen trying to make the desperate play.

We were 30th in the league in drawing penalties last year. So this is probably one of those tiny moves that tilts the analytics a slight bit further in our favor for low risk. He seems like one of those players we'll love to have on our team and our opponents will hate. We'll see how he does soon enough.

i asked my Pens fan buddy about him this is how it went... quite interesting really lol

me: so tell me something about Bobby Farnham

Buddy: yeah man

me:  i know he's a goon, but thats it lol
Buddy: hes an absolute firecracker on the ice
Buddy: he is a little short but a monster
Buddy: energy is thru the roof
Buddy: speed is thru the roof
Buddy: real fast skater, physical beyond
Buddy: open ice hits galore lol
Me: i see lol
Buddy:basically we should have him stapled to our 4th line
Buddy:hes a huge asset and i for one want to see him play more
Buddy: any pen will tell you he turns the game around
Buddy:he creates those pivotal moments when games can swing momentum
Buddy:love him anyway... been watching him for a few years
Me: oh well, we'll see i guess
Me: you know he's gone right?
Buddy: was he traded?!??
Buddy: nooooo
Me: NJ picked him up on waivers
Buddy: man
Buddy: being honest that i havent see any bad play from him
Buddy: have only seen the guy give every ounce of energy when on the ice.
Buddy: shero knows what hes about
Buddy: he signed him!

Buddy: he contributes to a really great cycle in the offensive zone

etc etc

i asked my Pens fan buddy about him this is how it went... quite interesting really lol

me: so tell me something about Bobby Farnham

Buddy: yeah man

me:  i know he's a goon, but thats it lol
Buddy: hes an absolute firecracker on the ice
Buddy: he is a little short but a monster
Buddy: energy is thru the roof
Buddy: speed is thru the roof
Buddy: real fast skater, physical beyond
Buddy: open ice hits galore lol
Me: i see lol
Buddy:basically we should have him stapled to our 4th line
Buddy:hes a huge asset and i for one want to see him play more
Buddy: any pen will tell you he turns the game around
Buddy:he creates those pivotal moments when games can swing momentum
Buddy:love him anyway... been watching him for a few years
Me: oh well, we'll see i guess
Me: you know he's gone right?
Buddy: was he traded?!??
Buddy: nooooo
Me: NJ picked him up on waivers
Buddy: man
Buddy: being honest that i havent see any bad play from him
Buddy: have only seen the guy give every ounce of energy when on the ice.
Buddy: shero knows what hes about
Buddy: he signed him!

Buddy: he contributes to a really great cycle in the offensive zone

etc etc

This is POUND FOR POUND exactly what my Penguins friends have said. 3 of them have said the same exact things. For every 1 negative comment you see coming from a Penguins fan, there's 5 gushing about him and what he brings.

Edited by DJ Eco

Farnham is a fan favorite kind of player, so I'm not surprised.  You'd get a lot of positive feedback on Cam Janssen if you asked Devils fans about him in 2007.

His 3 biggest penalty minute games in the A last year were all for fighting related fouls - as long as he stays away from getting 5 minute majors for stuff he does he probably won't be too big a drag on the team

Farnham is a fan favorite kind of player, so I'm not surprised.  You'd get a lot of positive feedback on Cam Janssen if you asked Devils fans about him in 2007.

His 3 biggest penalty minute games in the A last year were all for fighting related fouls - as long as he stays away from getting 5 minute majors for stuff he does he probably won't be too big a drag on the team

This 100%.

This is a guy you bring up for a few games a year that will probably get a little physical.  Other than that he really shouldn't be hanging around the 4th line or the team in general for the most part.

Haha, I did that when I was a Midget playing for Cranford back in 1991. Everyone thought I broke my neck because I collapsed at first.

Happened to me too when I was a kid playing roller hockey. The kid I missed laughed at me while I was on the ground, so I shoved his feet out from under him and then he did it too.

I got a 10 minute misconduct. Worth every second.

Edited by mfitz804

Well looks like I might have been wrong.