Mets 2015-16 Offseason Thread

'7'

Really seems like this offseason is Zobrist or bust...which makes me wonder if the Mets offer that 4th year to get him. 

I just wonder what Plan B is...if Murph is even a consideration, or if it's Flores/Herrera/Tejada/Johnson up the middle.  They can still find players who can help in-season, but it's going to feel weird if damned near nothing happens.   

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rumor I saw was that the Mets were willing to go four years but so are the Nats, Dodgers and Giants. If one of those teams gets him, particularly the Nats it'll feel like a double whammy.

And this is why just about every FA gets overpaid.

This is what will be kind of annoying.  I'm not saying I'd necessarily be thrilled with a Zobrist overpayment (his age scares me), but the Mets have clearly made him their target.  For once, get your man!  And you brought up an excellent point, re:  the young arms and their future prices...the time might very well be now.  If the Mets think Zobrist's game can help get them where they need to go, then don't go back into full meek mode. 

Zobrist has said he wants to be mainly a one position guy. He's not worth anything without his verisitility. Obviously, once you sign a guy you can put him anywhere but he likely won't be happy about it. I think I would pass especially if when it's all said and done you could have have had Cespedes for close to the same money. Cespedes is still shooting for the stars so he's not likely to come down to earth any time soon. I think the Mets best move might be dealing Niese for their infield need and signing Parra. I like Zobrist I thought he was the WS MVP. But, we have to be careful with this large I mean small market team.

One of those articles where the headline doesn't quite match the story...headline makes it sound like the Mets have the inside track on Zobrist, but the article sounds more like the Mets are still very much in it, but not necessarily the frontrunner:

http://nypost.com/2015/12/07/mets-likely-preparing-for-a-happy-end-to-zobrist-sweepstakes/

What makes this all a little dicey of course is that the Nats are involved...capo said it perfectly, in that the Mets think and act like a small market team.  I still don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (it's not like big-market big-spenders have the market cornered on championships), but it does mean that you have to be careful with the decisions you make.  Over $15 million per season for four years seems like a lot for Zobrist...but at the same time, I have to be fair and say that that's how it goes in free agency...gotta overpay, sometimes significantly.  At the same time, you wonder how much flexibility the Mets will have during the season to make moves...the fact that the Mets have made a few "invite to spring training" signings signals to me that, if they get Zobrist, they're going to go the bargain route in trying to fill other holes.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Reed become the 8th inning guy, and for the rest of the 'pen to be filled out from within.  I don't think any expensive bullpen signings are coming.

I really like Zobrist but I think the Mets are making a mistake. He may be a good guy ala Cuddyer before him. He's just not the bat this lineup needs to keep the team in contention. A career.265 hitter aver 12 dingers a year and plays ok defense. I also think the Nats are just working the Mets by getting in the discussion. If the Mets have other plans to bring in more offense than I'm ok with but if we're going with BZ and calling it good. That's not going to cut it for me.

I also think it's time to trade Niese. His arm has been scary and he has trouble getting through the 4th. He worked great out of the pen. I'd move him for the best deal I can get right now. It's too big of a risk to wait.

Edited by capo

Zobrist's value isn't in BA...it's in OB% (.355 career, and he's extremely consistent in that category), and OB+SLG (.801 or better in 3 out of the last 5 seasons), and his defensive and general versatility.  He's a useful player.  The Mets have had a lot of out-makers in recent years...they need some guys who can get on base.  If Grandy can do what he did last season (admittedly that's a big if), the Mets could wind up with two players who get on base about 36% of the time in the 1-2 spots...that's a nice luxury to have...unfortunately, if Doofus and Loser Wright are still hitting in the heart of the order, I can see Grandy and Zobrist getting stranded a lot or getting wiped out on double plays.  It'd be nice if Wright was hitting seventh next season (would love to see Conforto work his way into being a #3 hitter), but that's a topic for another day. 

I would open up Niese's spot to some other arms, but just keep in mind that the options are all iffy:  Verrett, Bowman, Pill, Colon, Wheeler (June at the earliest).  But I'm fine with Niese being dealt...he is what he is, and I do think eventually he's going to suffer a serious injury.  And I'm all in favor of getting his money off the books. 

I really like Zobrist but I think the Mets are making a mistake. He may be a good guy ala Cuddyer before him. He's just not the bat this lineup needs to keep the team in contention. A career.265 hitter aver 12 dingers a year and plays ok defense. I also think the Nats are just working the Mets by getting in the discussion. If the Mets have other plans to bring in more offense than I'm ok with but if we're going with BZ and calling it good. That's not going to cut it for me.

I also think it's time to trade Niese. His arm has been scary and he has trouble getting through the 4th. He worked great out of the pen. I'd move him for the best deal I can get right now. It's too big of a risk to wait.

You can't expect them to get a REAL big bat for second base.  Thing is Zobrist would be the Murphy replacement, in the Mets' mind he's better than Murphy (which he is) and they get the first-rounder back for Murphy they lost for Cuddyer if they don't re-sign him.  They need to replace Cespedes another way, they're not going to do it at second base whoever's playing there next season.

And fwiw Flores fractured an ankle in winter ball, supposedly he'll be okay for Spring Training though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Confirmed: Ben Zobrist to Cubs on a 4-year deal. First report @Ken_Rosenthal

Well that didn't take long :rolleyes:

I know some people will be happy but I'm not exactly confident in the Mets doing anything else big, or doing the right big move. And ONCE AGAIN they pull the rug out from under the fans with all their crap about 'being optomistic' for days.

Same old meek Mets. This is why fans still hesitate to trust this franchise.

Don't know what happens now. Maybe Murph?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Jesse Rogers@ESPNChiCubs 1m1 minute ago

Confirmed: Ben Zobrist to Cubs on a 4-year deal. First report @Ken_Rosenthal

Well that didn't take long :rolleyes:

I know some people will be happy but I'm not exactly confident in the Mets doing anything else big, or doing the right big move. And ONCE AGAIN they pull the rug out from under the fans with all their crap about 'being optomistic' for days.

It's funny...I'm not annoyed so much that they didn't get Zobrist in particular...it's that they always find a way not to walk the walk. They came off as fvcking amateurs yet again, and I think almost every Met fan thought it would go this way.

Same old meek Mets. This is why fans still hesitate to trust this franchise.

Don't know what happens now. Maybe Murph?

I think they'd honestly rather just play Dilson and take the first-round pick.  Or maybe trade for Neil Walker as a patch until Dilson's ready.

Then again according to Rubin they don't know WTF to do now :P

I think they'd honestly rather just play Dilson and take the first-round pick. Or maybe trade for Neil Walker as a patch until Dilson's ready.

Then again according to Rubin they don't know WTF to do now :P

And this is how I think it goes. It's still way early, but I don't think anything of even minor significance is happening. The plan was to go a little more than half-assed after Zobrist and hope he'd sign. Same old Mets. Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And in the meantime the Cubs of course trade Castro to the Yankees for Adam Warren and Brendan Ryan with them rumored to be in on Heyward as well, and the D'Backs trade for Shelby Miller after signing Greinke.

The ripping the Mets are going to get assuming they do nothing this offseason, it's just mind-boggling how they can continually put themselves in these situations.

The inevitable spin-doctoring will be hard to take. What sucks is that fans were warming up to the franchise from top to bottom. That goodwill looks like it's going to take a serious hit.

Fine by me, Zobrist is a fine player and a winning player but a complimentary piece and got way overhyped, and way to far bid up this offseason for my liking. Are we really going to give 14 mil per (more in order to outbid the Cubs) to a guy who's turning 35 early next season? I just don't forsee him as a .350 obp guy for much longer. And the power is not really all that impressive.

Though the Mets need to get a move on and fast. Their competition are busy actually improving the team while we're still taking bows for making the World Series.

Edited by '7'

Heyward and Parra would be my targets now. More-so Heyward though I haven't heard a peep about us being in on him. Like Denard Span as well. Would be great to have him in center to split time with Lagares (with Span playing 60+ percent of the time)