Mets 2015-16 Offseason Thread

'7'

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this trade will do Niese some good. He never struck me as a NY guy. Wilted and collapsed under pressure many a time...being back in the midwest and closer to his home in Ohio will be just what the doctor ordered.

Plus that pitching coach has been very good, turned Liriano into a consistent ace and got productive seasons from journeymen like Vance Worley, even Melancon was basically nothing before going there.  I could see Niese having a fine season

But still like the trade, especially with a hidden benefit - Walker 'could' play third, albeit he hasn't done it in a while (since he was in the minors, but he had extensive time in the minors at thrid).

This was not a good trade. I'm sure CR is going to say I'm being negative buy this doesn't address a need. The Mets have players that play second base. They should have cleared Niese's salary to make room for a need. Now, their going after Colon? For how much?

This was not a good trade. I'm sure CR is going to say I'm being negative buy this doesn't address a need. The Mets have players that play second base. They should have cleared Niese's salary to make room for a need. Now, their going after Colon? For how much?

The Mets are a now team. Is Dilson ready to be a playoff/WS 2nd basemen? Is Flores? No and no. 

Bartolo for another year is fine by me. I guarantee another 200 innings and 14 wins from him. Nobody knows how he keeps doing it...but he does.

Edited by '7'

Yeah for this year Walker > Dilson and you're not blocking Dilson long-term the way you would have with Zobrist or even Murphy.  Unfortunately since there aren't really too many SS upgrades available we might have to deal with another year of Flores/Tejada at short so Flores isn't really a 2B option atm either.

Plus moneywise they were about to give $15 million per to Zobrist, now they just switched off $9 million contracts (Niese/Walker) so theoretically they still have that $15 million if they want to use it.  Some of it's going to Colon obviously but you'd like to think they'll still have something left for upgrades elsewhere.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I wanted to get rid of Niese for a bag of balls. Niese gone, I'm fine with. Bringing back a 10 million dollar contract, no. I'd way rather save that money put it together with what I was going to give Zobrist and get me a bigger fish.

Edited by capo

What 'big fish' are the Mets getting?  Cespedes/Heyward?  Heyward's a corner outfielder and Cespedes well we know the deal with him, while he 'can' play CF he's not all that great at it.

If they're not going to re-sign Cespedes (which they probably won't) they should at least get a pen upgrade from having Reed/Robles be the 7th-8th inning and fortify the bench.

Edited by NJDevs4978

What 'big fish' are the Mets getting? Cespedes/Heyward? Heyward's a corner outfielder and Cespedes well we know the deal with him, while he 'can' play CF he's not all that great at it.

If they're not going to re-sign Cespedes (which they probably won't) they should at least get a pen upgrade from having Reed/Robles be the 7th-8th inning and fortify the bench.

So, where are the runs going to come from? Wright's a bigger question mark than Flores and Duda is freaking garbage. I suppose if they get a leadoff guy they drop Granderson down but a repeat performance from him is not a guarantee.

So, where are the runs going to come from? Wright's a bigger question mark than Flores and Duda is freaking garbage. I suppose if they get a leadoff guy they drop Granderson down but a repeat performance from him is not a guarantee.

Well to be fair the Royals just proved you don't need big boppers to win...they had one (Morales) who wasn't even a factor in the World Series.  The Giants didn't really have 30+ HR guys either.

Well to be fair the Royals just proved you don't need big boppers to win...they had one (Morales) who wasn't even a factor in the World Series. The Giants didn't really have 30+ HR guys either.

They also didn't sit back and try and walk their way and play station to station. The swung the sticks and had timely hits. Plus, I would consider Gordon a power threat which proved to be fruitful for them in the series.

This trade tells you a couple of things:

1) The Mets think Herrera could still be their second baseman of the future, but probably not in 2016.

2) They really didn't want to sign Murph long-term to a semi-costly contract.

3) This was a chance for the Mets to get Niese's remaining dollars off their books. I don't blame them for taking the opportunity.

This was a short-term deal that made some sense. It's not sexy, but I'm on board with it.

Guess they are addressing SS after all

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo  5m5 minutes ago
Source: Mets are finalizing a deal with Asdrubal Cabrera.
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo  4m4 minutes ago
Cabrera deal with Mets expected to be for 2 years with a team option.

Kind of makes tendering Tejada a little bizarre, but I guess Flores becomes the primary utility guy off the bench now.

Decent pickup, known commodity at SS. Don't know what kind of fielder he is but it's pretty damn hard to be worse in the field than Flores. Cabrera used to be a good OBP guy but has since tailed off (but again...better than Flores) Ok with this signing. Unspectacular but solid.

The NYM continue to be KMART shoppers. If Heyward signs with the Cubs we're fvcked. The Cubs were a damn good team last year... our pitching can't do it alone and playing station to station baseball doesn't get it done when you're in a close game. They absolutely need Cespedes now. Or else everyone will be crying all year about how this team needs a big bat and now the only thing left to trade is one of your aces. This is an NY team for Christ's sakes. Get the fvcking guy you need, damn it. Stop with these bullsh!t mediocre used to be good better than we have types. Cause the truth is neither of these guys are better than Flores. On par maybe, better... no.

cf  Curtis Granderson

3b  David Wright

1b  Lucas Duda

2b  Neil Walker

c  Travis d'Arnaud

lf  Michael Conforto

ss  Asdrubel Cabrera

rf  Michael Cuddyer

pitcher

That is not a pedestrian lineup. Yes it is missing a big bopper that can come in and just carry a team for 3 weeks or so (Cespedes) but top to bottom that lineup is pretty sturdy. If they don't add another bat I'd still be fairly content heading into the season that our great pitching staff and slightly above average lineup will be enough to take this team to another division title.

cf  Curtis Granderson

3b  David Wright

1b  Lucas Duda

2b  Neil Walker

c  Travis d'Arnaud

lf  Michael Conforto

ss  Asdrubel Cabrera

rf  Michael Cuddyer

pitcher

That is not a pedestrian lineup. Yes it is missing a big bopper that can come in and just carry a team for 3 weeks or so (Cespedes) but top to bottom that lineup is pretty sturdy. If they don't add another bat I'd still be fairly content heading into the season that our great pitching staff and slightly above average lineup will be enough to take this team to another division title.

I think they still need a couple more bench guys (including a CF option) and at least one or two significant upgrades in the pen if those are going to be their big offensive upgrades, I agree the lineup is not bad and certainly better than what they had half of last season though.

It's an iffy lineup...could be pretty good or a bit shaky. There's guys who are injury-prone in there, and there's wild cards for sure. And does Grandy really become the CF? Lagares will get a shot to reclaim that job I would think. Not so sure Cuddyer (who couldn't have sucked much more last season) gets to be an everyday player unless someone else gets hurt or struggles.

Hard no to Cespedes. Just don't think him becoming a high-priced player here is going to work out.

I'm admittedly disappointed that both Duda and Wright will be back next season. I firmly believe one of them has to go. No one wants Wright at this point for the obvious reasons, so I know it would've been Duda to go, but I'll be terrified if the Mets go back to the playoffs and Duda's in the lineup. He's not nearly good enough to perform against playoff pitching staffs. He's not a contending team ballplayer. But it seems like he's the Met first baseman no matter what he does (or doesn't do).

Wonder what happens with Flores now. Does he become a 400 AB bench guy who plays SS, 2B, and 3B? And how does Tejada fit in?

I wouldn't give Cespedes a mega contract either. But, it looks like the market isn't there for him so maybe he takes a 1 year deal and tries to prove he's worth it again. I'm not going to hang my head on his playoff he was clearly hurting which I'm certain is what led to his defensive struggles.

Justin Upton is also still out there... I'm really concerned about what the Cubs are doing. They already were a great team. If they land Heyward or Upton or Cespedes they have to be WS favorites.