GDT 11/3 Devs msg+2 @ Isles msg+ 7pm

lazer

I'll take it.  This would be a hell of a season to somehow fluke out a bunch of lucky wins.  NJ played well and lost, it's what I figure they will do a lot this season.

Kalinin is a monster along the boards - I'd like to see what he could do when he's not there, but he controls the puck very well in that area.  I don't know how he was successful in the KHL, because that's a much smaller part of that style of play - once he figures out some more subtle parts of board play he'll be even more effective.  Right now he looks like a spitting image of Dainius Zubrus.

In all, NJ's board play and play in general was so much better than the first week of the season - this team is controlling the puck well in the offensive zone and generating some offense off of that.  It's not a ton - I think that's where they will struggle is people with the dynamism to get the puck off the boards and into scoring areas, and that's where they miss Jagr, but they did a real nice job tonight there.

Just got back from the game. Largely unimpressed with that arena.

Anywho, the Devils didn't play too well in this one but it is remarkable how poor their shooting luck has been 5v5. I think it's got to be somewhere around 4% which is half of what league average is. Thought Palmieri, Kalinin and Schlemko played well tonight

The initial novelty of Barclays Center has already worn off on me (and I've only been to the two preseason games last year and this year before last night's game) and it is an absolute sh!tty arena to watch hockey in. The bad attendance makes sense now.

Edited by DJ Eco

The initial novelty of Barclays Center has already worn off on me (and I've only been to the two preseason games last year and this year before last night's game) and it is an absolute sh!tty arena to watch hockey in. The bad attendance makes sense now.

Where you sit in there makes a gigantic difference.  Best bet is middle or lower tier in the sections that are not limited view or facing in that off angle away from the rink (like sections 4 & 28).  The upper deck all around sucks due to the angle and lack of lighting in the very uppermost areas.  Overall while not great, it's obviously not built for hockey and they still have better food overall than the Rock.

I know why they put the car in the corner, but it is distracting.  I can't take my eyes off of it and will take more time to get used to it.  Also while the pre-season game the camera angle was too high, the one they have been using this season is too low IMO.  I was switching between the Devils/Islanders game and the Rangers/Caps game last night and it made the Rangers/Caps game look like they were shooting from the ceiling when I know it's not the case.

The upper deck all around sucks due to the angle and lack of lighting in the very uppermost areas.

The upper deck was awful. I think there is only maybe 1 upper section (center ice) on each side of the rink that are minimally suitable for viewing hockey. I was in 222, and it was at a part of the rink where, in most arenas, it would begin to curve. But up there, you're perpendicular to about the line of the goaltender and everything to the left of that faceoff line, you really need to turn your body to see.

Only thing Barclays has on Prudential Center are the amount of liquor bars, and being able to bring mixed drinks/wine to your seats. When you think about it, I'm not sure why you're not allowed to anywhere else. Beer's alcohol, a gin and tonic's alcohol, makes no difference.

Edited by DJ Eco

People here were anointing him a generational defenseman last season, this year he looks more like John Merrill. That doesn't concern you? 

To be fair, it was mostly one poster.

The upper deck was awful. I think there is only maybe 1 upper section (center ice) on each side of the rink that are minimally suitable for viewing hockey. I was in 222, and it was at a part of the rink where, in most arenas, it would begin to curve. But up there, you're perpendicular to about the line of the goaltender and everything to the left of that faceoff line, you really need to turn your body to see.

Only thing Barclays has on Prudential Center are the amount of liquor bars, and being able to bring mixed drinks/wine to your seats. When you think about it, I'm not sure why you're not allowed to anywhere else. Beer's alcohol, a gin and tonic's alcohol, makes no difference.

And to add to that, they are real bars too.  It's not that roll out and sqeeze together 2-3 of those beer/liquor carts and call it a bar sort of thing that the Rock does.

People here were anointing him a generational defenseman last season, this year he looks more like John Merrill. That doesn't concern you? 

People were also concerned about Victor Hedman for the first 2-3 years of his career, and now look -- people consider him to be a top 3 defenseman in the entire league.  It took him a handful of seasons to turn into the elite player everyone thought he would become.  This could very well happen to Severson too.

Severson's expectations went from being just play well enough to not be sent down, to now being an important part of the team. I'm going to give it some more time before I panic because it's still early. I'm much more worried about Elias's return than Severson's slow start. Gelinas looks shaky though. 

People were also concerned about Victor Hedman for the first 2-3 years of his career, and now look -- people consider him to be a top 3 defenseman in the entire league.  It took him a handful of seasons to turn into the elite player everyone thought he would become.  This could very well happen to Severson too.

I always laugh when people complain about our young Defensemen. They take time!  What is this, his sophomore season?  Cmon...See Adam Larsson....

My buddy was at the game last night and even center ice it's awful because of how absurdly steep it is. Even people who aren't fearful of heights are like...woah

I was in section 25 right on center ice, 10 rows from glass. If someone sits in front of your your view is greatly obstructed. Looking up to the 200 was like looking up a mountain. Horrible areana for hockey and esp for long island islander fans who now have to deal with 2 trains to get there (depending where you are on li)

Again, I understand that defenseman take time, but Severson looked like a phenomenal player IN THE NHL LAST YEAR and right now looks deserving of a healthy scratch. That's not impatience, that's regression. Not saying t isn't temporary, not saying he won't be a solid defenseman for us, but after last season he was being mentioned by many as a generational, unbelievable talent

I'm not pressing the panic button, hell the safety cover isn't even off it. If I remember correctly, and work having me burned out already this week isn't helping, Larsson was good year 1, year 2 regressed, and has since recovered.

Sure, it makes you get that uneasy feeling in the back of your mind, but give it time, at least another year, before we say, well fvck it....

Larsson wasn't nearly close to Severson's caliber his first year.

People were half-joking that we should trade Larsson for a bag of pucks, as recently as 13 months ago. Same with Merrill right now, and I'd put money on Merrill turning a corner and being an important defenseman for us by 2017.

It's easy to rewrite history now that it suits a Severson debate, but a slight majority of the fanbase felt Larsson was a huge bust this time last year. I refuse to subscribe to that line of thinking re: Severson.

Edited by DJ Eco

People were half-joking that we should trade Larsson for a bag of pucks, as recently as 13 months ago. Same with Merrill right now, and I'd put money on Merrill turning a corner and being an important defenseman for us by 2017.

It's easy to rewrite history now that it suits a Severson debate, but a slight majority of the fanbase felt Larsson was a huge bust this time last year. I refuse to subscribe to that line of thinking re: Severson.

This. People were considering Larsson a huge blunder of a pick. Like all young defdnsemen, he just needed time to develop. Same with Severson. I also agree that Merrill hasn't reached his peak yet either

This. People were considering Larsson a huge blunder of a pick. Like all young defdnsemen, he just needed time to develop. Same with Severson. I also agree that Merrill hasn't reached his peak yet either

Merrill, like Severson, looked fantastic his first season. He "regressed" last season in a major way and still doesn't look anywhere near the way he played his first year. But that still doesn't worry me. Larsson should be the poster boy for us fans to understand the ebbs and flows that young defensemen will go through while they're learning on the job. 

Am I in crazy town? Or are you just lacking reading comprehension skills?

I am not calling Severson a bust. I am not saying we should trade him for a bag of pucks. I am saying that his regression so far this season is alarming,

Zoikes, scoob.

You asked what the panic meter is on Severson. My answer is not to panic. I'm not even that "concerned", if we're getting into semantics. I then pointed out a very recent player/situation where many Devils fans had "panicked" over, and were ultimately extremely wrong about, that's all. Not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm just answering your question; no, we shouldn't panic about Severson.

I am not calling Severson a bust. I am not saying we should trade him for a bag of pucks. I am saying that his regression so far this season is alarming,

But its not, thats the point. His regression is the norm....Unless you are saying that he has been beyond awful such that his regression rate is through the roof (which would imply he is a bust or in need of some sort of intervention).