GDT: Devs vs. the Champs

MadDog2020

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun game tonight. Not sure if the devils were that good the first two periods or the Hawks were just bad. Most likely a little of both.

Third period was a little rough for the Devils as the Hawks starting getting their act together a bit, but they held out tough during the 6 on 5 even with the goal.

God damn does Gionta suck ass and that missed empty netter was the icing on the cake. He is really the only glaring weak link in the game tonight.

Can we get these numbers for the first 2 periods only? That 6v5 had to have some adverse effects to those numbers.

I don't know why he keeps posting those numbers, they don't mean much. Just look at 5v5 situations only. The best thing to do is go to the site and sort based on what you are interested in. A good overall indicator is the 5v5 though. 

5v5

Shots: 21:22 NJ

Corsi: 37:32 Chi

http://war-on-ice.com/game5.html?seasongcode=2015201620195

Edited by mrthemike

hockeystats.ca has NJ ahead 32-25 in corsi through 2 though i forget if that's in all situations.

Chicago did not show up tonight until they were down 3-0 but I like that NJ can punish teams that do that.  Last year after the changeover to the awful strategy almost all of NJ's wins came against teams out of the playoffs.  

I'm also hoping for a lack of goals scored off rebounds by opposing teams.  I'm afraid if more get scored that the Devils will look to get a crease clearing defenseman.  They don't need one.  Yeah, they will be beaten occasionally in front of the net, but they make up for it with how few shots they give up.

Larsson played 27:29 tonight and Andy played 26:27. Man that is some crazy ice time for both of them.

That's true.  That just means that Hynes doesn't think very highly of our bottom pairings. Greene shouldn't be playing that much ice time for too much longer into his career.  Definitely on the longer end of the averages tonight for Greene.  Maybe we'll see Merril or Severson get moved.  

It's great to see Zajac flying out there.  I don't get the guy, but maybe he benefit and learned from Jagr more than we think.  

hockeystats.ca has NJ ahead 32-25 in corsi through 2 though i forget if that's in all situations.

Chicago did not show up tonight until they were down 3-0 but I like that NJ can punish teams that do that.  Last year after the changeover to the awful strategy almost all of NJ's wins came against teams out of the playoffs.  

I'm also hoping for a lack of goals scored off rebounds by opposing teams.  I'm afraid if more get scored that the Devils will look to get a crease clearing defenseman.  They don't need one.  Yeah, they will be beaten occasionally in front of the net, but they make up for it with how few shots they give up.

Devils were at 60% score adjusted after two (5v5). 51.5% after 3.

I think we all have to acknowledge that this Devils season, at least right at this very moment, is about as good of a scenario as we could have been hoped for.It's a fun team to watch again.

Agreed, they have looked great at moments and I didn't expect that. They need one more semi-marquee forward, then if the puck bounced the right way, who knows, maybe we sneak in to the playoffs soon.

I think we all have to acknowledge that this Devils season, at least right at this very moment, is about as good of a scenario as we could have been hoped for.It's a fun team to watch again.

Zajac seems to be rejuvenated.  I think Palms is the perfect line mate for him.