Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hi, I'm VALUE!

New York Yankees 2015-16 Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

yea but it's been said that Ackleys arm is shot after he had TJS.. He might not be able to play 3B.

I was a fan of the Castro trade, but am slightly confused by the dealing of Wilson. I had said that trading away Warren was fine because we have guys like Wilson.. Now we gotta hope Lindgren, etc can step up

I saw one of those prospects posted like an 8+ ERA last year in the minors... Woof.. The trade just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My guess is that Cash is going to flip at least one of those guys. I still trust him to send out a solid bullpen in 2016

Cessa split time between AA and AAA last year and his time in AAA was split between the Mets and Tigers. In 24.1 AAA innings with the Mets he had a 8.51 ERA despite having excellent numbers: 8.88 K/9, 1.48 BB/9, 6.00 K/BB, and 3.85 FIP. Judging by the .425 BABIP, he must've been very, very unlucky in that small sample. Have to wonder if that team behind him was atrocious defensively. Overall, his numbers are pretty solid for his minor league career.

This kind of reminds me of the Shawn Kelley trade and the prospect they got for him, Johnny Barbato could be a relief option for the big club this season. I'm sure Cashman will find a vet or two to bring in to help fill the void in the bullpen now. I'm still fairly confident in some of the young guys that rode in the AAA/MLB shuttle this season to step up on a full time basis next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you have to bear in mind also is that the Mets play AAA ball in the PCL which is notoriously hitter-friendly. You're going to see inflated numbers when it comes to ERA and BABIP because of this. This is the same league where both DeGrom and Synndergard had ERAs well north of 4 in their last "full" years in AAA. If he pitches to a 9 ERA in Scranton then I'll be worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Met fan, I can tell you trying to evaluate PCL players off their traditional stats is very very difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Met fan, I can tell you trying to evaluate PCL players off their traditional stats is very very difficult.

 

Question for you CR (and any other Met fan on the board can chime in) - what was your general opinion on Cessa, and were you initially disappointed to see him go in the Cespedes trade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually a lot more upset about Michael Fulmer going in that deal, but you gotta give to get of course.

Cessa's had a pretty meh-ish minor league career so far (gives up a lot of hits), so he wasn't really one of the guys I was paying as much attention to. Mets' minor league pitching depth took a hit in 2015 with all of the moves...there's a reason Colon might be brought back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So apparently the Yankees finally got the mega bullpen they've been shopping for months for, giving up a few younger players (though not the family jewels) for Chapman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 4 prospects going over in the trade are Rookie Davis, third baseman Eric Jagielo, second baseman Tony Renda and right-hander Caleb Cotham.  That's a hell of a haul for a one year rental with a potential domestic violence suspension looming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The WFAN afternoon talk show hosts and Jon Heyman are making it sound like these guys are all mid-tier prospects and that the Reds basically sold for fifty cents on the dollar.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The WFAN afternoon talk show hosts and Jon Heyman are making it sound like these guys are all mid-tier prospects and that the Reds basically sold for fifty cents on the dollar.

Maybe.  

Riveraveblues isn't responding to requests - Jaigelo is a good hitter but apparently has painful defensive stats (88% fielding percentage, 9 errors at 3B) which explains why he's not in the system anymore.  Davis got shelled at Double A, but he's also about 3 years younger than average.  Those guys are the two higher-end prospects methinks.  

With Castro in the system, Renda isn't a huge loss, and Cotham is a depth arm.  

I was just surprised Jaigelo was included in the deal - there was talk as late as midseason last year that Jaigelo might be the replacement for Headley.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2015 at 4:57 PM, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

Maybe.  

Riveraveblues isn't responding to requests - Jaigelo is a good hitter but apparently has painful defensive stats (88% fielding percentage, 9 errors at 3B) which explains why he's not in the system anymore.  Davis got shelled at Double A, but he's also about 3 years younger than average.  Those guys are the two higher-end prospects methinks.  

With Castro in the system, Renda isn't a huge loss, and Cotham is a depth arm.  

I was just surprised Jaigelo was included in the deal - there was talk as late as midseason last year that Jaigelo might be the replacement for Headley.  

the trade is a steal from a baseball standpoint, without a doubt.

obviously it's Chapman's off the field issues that led to him being had for so little.  once we find out what really happened in that case, we can get a better idea of how much use we'll get out of the new closer.  I would hope (and guess) that the yanks did their hw on him before making the trade.

 Keep in mind that at last years trade deadline, the Reds were asking for two of either Judge, Severino, and Bird for Chapman. So yea, this was a major drop in asking price.

Jaigelo could be a decent hitter but his defense is rumored to be pretty awful.. we basically gave up close to nothing... although I will say that Rookie Davis is an A+ baseball name

Edited by Onddeck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2015 at 0:34 PM, Onddeck said:

the trade is a steal from a baseball standpoint, without a doubt.

obviously it's Chapman's off the field issues that led to him being had for so little.  once we find out what really happened in that case, we can get a better idea of how much use we'll get out of the new closer.  I would hope (and guess) that the yanks did their hw on him before making the trade.

 Keep in mind that at last years trade deadline, the Reds were asking for two of either Judge, Severino, and Bird for Chapman. So yea, this was a major drop in asking price.

Jaigelo could be a decent hitter but his defense is rumored to be pretty awful.. we basically gave up close to nothing... although I will say that Rookie Davis is an A+ baseball name

Yeah researching this a bit more the Reds got quantity instead of quality for Chapman.

That said, Rookie Davis may end up being the prize of this deal depending on his development, but this is a short-term win for the Yankees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.