GDT: Columbus @ Devils: Return of Patty

MadDog2020

Whether there is a process to correct calls or not, it's still controversial because they weren't correcting a call, they were correcting a non-call. They decided that a whistle should have been blown, and because of that, the goal is disallowed. What stops the play on a delayed penalty call is the ref's whistle, not another player gaining control of the puck. This is not the refs deciding to change a call, it's them deciding to make a call after the fact. 

Goals don't happen very often on delayed penalties. Then after that, there is hardly a goal after unclear possession of a puck on a delayed penalty. Thus, this is rarely seen. I don't think the refs handled it well simply because they didn't rule that the player touched the puck, they ruled that "the whistle should have blown." What a weird thing to rule.

Whether there is a process to correct calls or not, it's still controversial because they weren't correcting a call, they were correcting a non-call. They decided that a whistle should have been blown, and because of that, the goal is disallowed. What stops the play on a delayed penalty call is the ref's whistle, not another player gaining control of the puck. This is not the refs deciding to change a call, it's them deciding to make a call after the fact. 

Goals don't happen very often on delayed penalties. Then after that, there is hardly a goal after unclear possession of a puck on a delayed penalty. Thus, this is rarely seen. I don't think the refs handled it well simply because they didn't rule that the player touched the puck, they ruled that "the whistle should have blown." What a weird thing to rule.

I thought it was horrible ! Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Still furious about this absolute bullsh!t. I'm tired of the 'lets just get it right' trend in sports - the constant replay reviews, the lazy officials who don't care to get plays right the first time.

This game should be protested. Nowhere in the rules of the league allow this kind of bs to happen. What the officials did was ILLEGAL. A linesman is not allowed to bring a goal back!

AND it doesn't matter if Campbell wiped his ass with the puck and made a crisp pass to a teammate. If the whistle didn't blow then you can't just bring it back illegally.

Edited by devlman

Please guys, don't wear blinders, please. Some calls we're changed and went our way not too long ago, it was the "right call" and we were really glad about it.

Let's not play the victims when it's not going our way.

Yeah I think you missed the point... The call may have been correct, but it was the way the goal was overturned. 'We should have' isn't an acceptable reason to overturn a goal.

Please guys, don't wear blinders, please. Some calls we're changed and went our way not too long ago, it was the "right call" and we were really glad about it.

Let's not play the victims when it's not going our way.

Youre not really comparing a coaches challenge to what happened the other night are you? Cause that's what coaches challenges are there for. If Columbus had used a coach's challenge that would be one thing but that's not what happened.

Still furious about this absolute bullsh!t. I'm tired of the 'lets just get it right' trend in sports - the constant replay reviews, the lazy officials who don't care to get plays right the first time.

This game should be protested. Nowhere in the rules of the league allow this kind of bs to happen. What the officials did was ILLEGAL. A linesman is not allowed to bring a goal back!

AND it doesn't matter if Campbell wiped his ass with the puck and made a crisp pass to a teammate. If the whistle didn't blow then you can't just bring it back illegally.

Problem is it wasn't 'illegal' by the NHL rules, which somehow give linesmen the power to blow a play dead in other instances, don't give them that power in puck possession situations but still allow the refs to use their judgement to overturn calls after the fact. The NHL is getting like the NFL with rules on top of rules to the point where they make no sense.

Yeah I think you missed the point... The call may have been correct, but it was the way the goal was overturned. 'We should have' isn't an acceptable reason to overturn a goal.

Well it's not any different than when a shot hits the back of the net and come out fast and the refs are not sure it was a goal or not and they have to play until there's a stoppage. Then if it was indeed a goal its cancelling everything that happened during that time and the clock goes back to the time of the goal.