Avs vs the bobble heads

DevilMinder

Calling Jaime Benn unknown is like calling Stephen Curry unknown

Not even close...but sure. One is a generational talent, the greatest shooter to ever play basketball, an MVP, and a league champion. He's been watched by any moderate basketball fan dozens and dozens of times.

The other has played 6 career playoff games, and not one NHL game that any even big hockey fan can remember.

God damn Stan Fischler is annoying. "Jaime Benn is the best unknown player in the league". What? WHAT? If you don't know who Jaime Benn is you don't know piss about hockey.

He's not that wrong. It's like if Henrique or Palmieri suddenly jumped into the realm of playing at a 90-105 point pace this season and next.

Do people leaguewide know who Adam Henrique is? Sure. Is he on "most hockey fans'" radar the way Patrick Kane and Alexander Ovechkin is? No. If you asked 100 random "hockey fans" (not diehards necessarily, just any 100 people from any series of random buildings in the NHL) who led in points in 2014-2015, I doubt more than 15 people would answer Jamie Benn.

Add in that he plays for Dallas, not Chicago or Pittsburgh, and Stan Fischler's not entirely off-base.

Edited by DJ Eco

Gionta looks like the player on a travel peewee team that everyone is like "wait how the heck did he make the team?" and it only makes sense when someone tells you the coach is his dad

Oh man, I could NOT have put it any better. I don't understand how he's on an NHL roster. He struggles to keep up, and doesn't even do that well. He loses every race, loses every battle; in the corners, at the blue line, in the dirty areas, he loses them all. He cannot muscle anyone off the puck on defense along the boards, he gets muscled off the puck too easily entering the zone. The list goes on, and he continues to have the absolute longest leash we've seen the past few years, no matter who the coaches are. Tedenby was chased out of town for similar, and even less persistent errors than Gionta exhibits every single game. Brunner was let go for much less.

Edited by DJ Eco

Meh.  Hard to get up for these games when I know they should be losing more than they have been.  Still liked a lot of what was going on out there.  Refs seemed unwilling to call penalties for some weird reason - Elias got away with a ridiculous trip (may have been a dive), and there were others that I was surprised were not called.

One thing Hynes does that I don't particularly like is he uses the 4th line after an unsuccessful power play.  I get why he does that - the Devils use 8 forwards on their PP and he either has to come up with a hybrid line or whatever - but it is going to lead to some difficult situtaions.

Was at the game and it seems like the Devils have a hard time winning on Tues/Wednesday games.  This was no exception.

I didn't like Elias on the Zajac-Palmieri line.  I thought he actually slowed that line down considerably.  That line seemed to get it's groove back and create chances in the 3rd when Kalinin was put back on that line to give them more speed and space for Zajac and Palmieri to do their thing.

Would it be worth it to experiment with Elias on the Rico-Cammy line?  Lee Stempniak was somewhat invisible again last night and maybe it would be good to have him on the 3rd line with Josefson and Kennedy to make that a really speedy line while Elias can help set up Rico and Cammy more?  If it's a silly idea then I will nix this idea haha.

Attendance last night was pretty brutal.  I know that it was raining last night and it was a Tuesday game, but you figure that it was the first bobblehead night in about a decade that it would have been more full.  There were sections in the 200's that could hold 200 people that had at most 15-20 in them.

The bobbleheads themselves were really nice.  Even the packaging was top notch as I was expecting just a plain white box.

Calling Jaime Benn unknown is like calling Stephen Curry unknown

He is cause I had to google his name. My reaction was "ahhh some basketball player..."

Jamie Benn is not known outside of the hockey world. Everyone that they are hockey fans or not knows about Crosby, Ovechkin and Toews i'd guess... everyone knows Beckham and Ronaldo. You know who George St-Pierre is even if you dont watch UFC. Everyone know who Michael Jordan is or wtv etc etc... Benn is not at that level. 

He is cause I had to google his name. My reaction was "ahhh some basketball player..."

Jamie Benn is not known outside of the hockey world. Everyone that they are hockey fans or not knows about Crosby, Ovechkin and Toews i'd guess... everyone knows Beckham and Ronaldo. You know who George St-Pierre is even if you dont watch UFC. Everyone know who Michael Jordan is or wtv etc etc... Benn is not at that level. 

I've actually never heard of him.

Agreed with Triumph saying they've won more than they should have but that's the beauty of Cory Schneider. It seems like their record in 1 goal games is starting to normalize. Loses to CBJ, MTL and COL are all by one.

Moore and Severson had a rough game by the eye test. Would've liked Moore to be a little more aggressive on the first goal but I cant complain about his performance this season. Agree with 84 on his thoughts with Elias on the 2nd line. I still think he's better suited with Josefson and TK.

Berra had an easy game in the first 40. Would've been nice to get more pressure on him in the first two frames but it happens.

I've actually never heard of him.

Ah yah? oh well it always depends on what you're into, i had no clue who was "that basketball player" (already forgot his name) but i dont follow basketball at all. George St-Pierre is the most famous canadian athlete worldwide actually. He played in Captain America too and he's in the new Kickboxer movie with Van Damme. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Missed this one tonight, went and saw 'Creed' (which was fantastic btw). This losing to struggling teams thing is becoming a bad habit that needs to end by beating Carolina on Thursday.

I thought you meant the BAND at first and I thought "Huh?!"  Totally forgot about the movie.  I'll probably go see it.

The Devils have exceeded expectations to date, so I'm not adjusting mine.  All they've really shown is that they can beat or lose to anyone any given night...pretty much the mark of an NHL-.500ish team.  They've also managed six regulation wins through 24 games.  Maybe if a lot of things break right, they flirt with 90 points...but high 70s to mid 80s is probably more realistic. 

Zajac' shooting% has very predictably normalized (now down to 16.2% and that figures to continue to drop), but at least he's getting some shots on goal...15 of them over his last 6 GP (to go with four assists).  Not sure if he's really starting to come back to life offensively yet, but at least there's some signs that he might be.  For whatever "on pace for" is worth, he's currently on a 53-point pace...I'd happily sign up for that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fischler is a good source for hockey history and he may have a lot of connections around the league, but his speculation/insight into today's game is questionable at best. The other night in light of the Pittsburgh rumblings he proposed a Malkin for Staal swap straight up. Yeah take what he says with a grain of salt.