GDT Devs vs Canes, Now

RunninWithTheDevil

Finally Yayo lights the lamp.  Shero should just pay his dad and brother to stay for every game.  Good game for the Devils.  Great to see some offense.  

On top of this, even the Devils bottom tier players had decent games tonight.  Even Matteau warrants more minutes after tonight.  This was obviously a good confidence win against a rebuilding team.  Gelinas wasn't a complete disaster in his own end tonight.  It's hard not to like his game when he throws hits that turn the puck over and lead to goals (Dirty? Probably, but it wasn't called and we scored.)  

Also, it seems that the agitators and the guys who fight are fighting at the right time and fighting the right guys.  I wonder if Hynes is playing a role in telling his guys to fight the minute-munching defenseman.  In two straight games, we had Tootoo fight Johnson from Colorado and then Matteau fought Faulk tonight.  THIS IS HOW FIGHTING NEEDS TO BE UTILIZED IN TODAY'S NHL.  I'm not saying target players, but if you can get a Chara, Weber, or a Keith off the ice for 5 minutes, that's huge.  Obviously coaches can just start telling they're D-men to not drop the gloves under any circumstance, but you can't avoid fighting sometimes if a player gets emotional and just drops them.  

Edited by RizzMB30

Man. Your team has performed above expectations. They took 3 of 4 points from the Habs. Beat up the Canes. Cammalleri has 26 points. Stempniak who AV had no use for has like 21-22 points in a primary role. General Hynes for Adams.

I was there. 7 rows behind the Devs bench.

I would say half the fans were rooting for the Devils. The crowd was not that big. By the 3rd , most left were Devils fans. I heard more "Lets go Devils" , then "Lets go Canes"

I sat in a row with Devils fans. Nice group. Canes fans were around us, but everyone was very cordial.

The TooTooth Fight was right in front of us. Malone's tooth went out and up with some blood. Gelly picked it up and handed it to the Canes bench. We couldn't stop laughing. Even the Canes fans were cracking up. Poor Canes, tried to get something going with a fight and look even worse afterwards.

The Gelly hit on that dude on the board and the goal followed took the air out of the Canes and the fans.

The Devs looked fresh and really fast. Nice change of pace.

There was a blond sitting a few rows in front of us. Gionta kept stealing looks at her. That was entertaining.

Are you sure it was a tooth? I really can't figure it out, but the way it fluttered to the ice I think he hit the stickers off the front of his helmet clear off.

It sure looked like a tooth. But yea, it could be anything I guess. I was white with blood on one end... lol

Merrill has been eons better the last handful of games. His defensive zone play has been solid but I think the main improvement has been his breakouts. They've been a lot smoother seemingly since he's playing with more confidence and poise

Merrill has some sweet escape moves, probable the best at that on the team. a very slick handler of the puck when pressured

Missed most of this one due to a funeral (my best friend's mother-in-law), but caught some highlights.  Happy for Kinkaid...a guy like him without much of a track record can lose confidence in a hurry.  At least his save% is over .900 now. 

13-7-1 since starting 0-3-1 and looking pretty hopeless.  On pace for 92 points.  Not saying they'll get there, but it's a lot more fun seeing some surprising performances than waiting for the season to be over so we can see where in the Top 5 the Devils will draft.  And always happy at the thought of Cory not necessarily having to think "WTF did I get myself into?!"  He's a terrific player who deserves to play on a team that can at least be competitive. 

Just going to keep enjoying the ride for as long as it lasts.

It really does. Feel terrible for Fitzgerald and his family. Hope God gives them strength...

Makes me count my blessings sometimes.  The friend (now 45) that I referenced earlier lost his dad back in April.  His father had just turned 75...definitely aging, but was seemingly very healthy, then suddenly in the hospital, then about a week after that, he was gone.  It was really hard watching my friend try to come to terms with it (many late-night conversations on the phone, where I would just listen), and even now he still admits there are some tough days. 

Anyway, my parents are pretty young (they had me when they were 20 going on 21), so they're only 66 now (I'm 45...by contrast, my 38-year-old wife has parents in their mid-70s, and both have some health issues).  I've seen some friends lose their dads as teenagers, some in their 20s and 30s...and sadly, as most of my friends range from 30-50 in age, funerals for mothers and fathers are becoming much too frequent of an event.  I don't always get along or see eye-to-eye with my parents (does anyone?), but I'm extremely lucky to have them in my life, and hopefully will for many more years.  But it's days like yesterday that make me appreciate that I DO still have them, and how important it is to savor that simple fact.