Crystal Palace

Jimmy Leeds

On 12/20/2015 at 0:16 AM, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

They ruined the 76ers, now onto Crystal Palace! Fan interactions between the owners and the supporters should be interesting.

Edge, Juventus will be beating Bayern. 

Only in your world does it make sense to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to purposely depreciate your newly acquired asset.

Crystal Palace is a shoe in to stay in the EPL next year, when the New TV contract kicks in which is worth billions tot he teams that stay in the EPL, has to be the reason for jumpoing in, and Crystal palace is actually playing well right now...

As for Bayern... not this year... Gunners are getting healthy!!

30 minutes ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

The broke guy. 

They have showed no acumen when it comes to sports teams.

How is trust the process doing in Philly? I'm sure old school Jerry Colangelo, is a big analytics guy. I warned all of you what was going to happen, and it is already bearing fruit in Philly. 

Yes the broke guy who forced a terrible contract down Lou's throat in Kovy (and later quit on the team).  The broke guy whose meddling with the team gave Lou little to no hope at all of re-signing Parise.  The broke guy who was being sued by every vendor he came in contact with.  The same broke guy who burned so many sponsorship bridges that the new regime is still just starting to repair them 3 years in.  The same broke guy who nearly had the Devils being taken over by the league.  The same broke guy who was so broke that he had to rely on fan volunteers and call them "generals" to market the team because he couldn't pay for a proper marketing department.

Yeah what a great situation to be in.

3 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

Part of me is concerned though that the Devils are just one of many "assets", instead of a passion

I'm fine with that. The less meddling from the owners, in any case, in any sport, the better. As long as they're not afraid to sign the checks, which they've shown they're not.

1 hour ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

Lets see if they actually spend money to address the issue. I would be shocked, if they outspend any of the London teams or United and City. Just because someone does well in one sphere, does not mean they will do well in a different one. This is especially true when you are wedded to a specific mindset. Crystal Palace was attractive to them because they view it as an undervalued asset namely because it is in London. Holding property, or having a stake in anything London related is a quick way to make a buck. This is compounded further with the TV money the BPL received vs their peers in Serie A, La Liga, and the Bundesliga.

Still don't understand how actively "running the team into the ground" (which is what you're insinuating) benefits them in making a quick buck.

You can argue that them going all-in one year with some big one-year signings might indicate they're not building something sustainable and intend on flipping it; but making a mid-table side sh!ttier just doesn't make sense. And the same goes for the Devils, especially considering the long-term moves they've indicated (and begun) making.

Edited by DJ Eco

The 76ers sucking has nothing to do with the owners being cheap or not caring about the franchise.

You are smart enough to know that. They trusted a process. In two drafts, they have had no lottery luck and missed out on two superstar prospects. The top player they drafted has been injured for two years. Perhaps the GM has made some mistakes along the way, but as good owners, they stepped back and trusted this slow rebuild.

But, it is well documented they are embarrassed with what is going on. No way they ever expected anything like this. It's why they (with most likely the league's assistance) brought in someone else to help out. They've added one of the most well respected NBA men to look over Hinke's (the GM) work.

Lastly, that has nothing to do with the New Jersey Devils. Like absolutely nothing at all. Ray Shero has been given he power to do what he wants. The Devils are rebuilding but still signing NHL bodies like Stempniak, Moore, Tlusty...trading for Palmeiri. That's Shero's call, just like it was the 76ers GM's call not to sign any capable NBA free agents or veterans. Two GMs doing their own thing with minimal oversight from the owners.

My biggest concern is the potential that they are spreading themselves too thin.   it's one thing to play with the big boys in a salary capped league where your costs are effectively fixed.  It's a whole other thing to get into the world of professional soccer, where top talent will cost you $80 million before you even give that player a contract.  

10 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

My biggest concern is the potential that they are spreading themselves too thin.   it's one thing to play with the big boys in a salary capped league where your costs are effectively fixed.  It's a whole other thing to get into the world of professional soccer, where top talent will cost you $80 million before you even give that player a contract.  

Nobody pays those transfer fees except the big clubs, which CP is not. I'd wager CP's probably pays somewhere around 30-40 million pounds per year.

21 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

Part of me is concerned though that the Devils are just one of many "assets", instead of a passion

Actually, I think among the teams he has an ownership interest in, the Devils are probably the closest to passion among them.  He's basically said that he doesn't really expect to make that much from owning the Devils and doesn't expect the team to be profitable for a while.  He's also mentioned that the Devils are going to be part of his kids' inheritance.  Doesn't necessarily mean that they couldn't enjoy their inheritance in another market, but it does indicate that he isn't interested in flipping the team for a short term buck. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'm a Gooner

13 hours ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

I'm being good DM, I am keeping my negative opinions related to CP and the 76ers. I think you are really going to see what kind of owners Blitzer and Harris are. Crystal Palace need a new stadium, and money to pay for talent. Money can turn around a middling club quite quickly, case and point the Citizens of Manchester.

the new EPL TV contract will take care of the money to pay for talent...