GDT - Devils @ Senators - 12/30/15

NJDfan1711

Solid win.  The corsi is extremely misleading because the Sens were firing the puck on net from everywhere.  Didn't come close to actually feeling like Ottawa dominated this game.

Shots: 36-21 Senators

Corsi: 76-32 Senators

Scoring Chances: 29-17 Senators

HD Scoring Chances: 9-5 Senators

Just watched the highlights on NHL on the fly. Ottawa announcers said this was a "vintage New Jersey game... Clog up the middle... Typical trapping system". Is that the go-to any time the Devils fvcking beat someone? Enjoy your zero Stanley cups, kiddies.

The trap meme is never gonna die with these fvcktards. I just laugh at the morons who are still stupid enough to use that crap as an excuse as to why they just got beat, as it's just a sign that they're pissed off and frustrated, as I prefer my opposing team fans and media to always be. Oh and by the way, Jeff Friesen says 'boo' ya fvcking cocksuckers, just in case you managed to purge 03 from your pea-sized brains.

• Like 1

You know, the Devils aren't a great team. They have a great goaltender, good defense, and a bunch of surprise offensive players this year.  However, they are still 25th in the league in goals scored and have one winning streak since mid-October. That said, the biggest difference for me this year has been holding leads. The Devils are now 9-0-0 when leading after the first period. That is just night and day from what we've seen in past seasons.

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Just watched the highlights on NHL on the fly. Ottawa announcers said this was a "vintage New Jersey game... Clog up the middle... Typical trapping system". Is that the go-to any time the Devils fvcking beat someone? Enjoy your zero Stanley cups, kiddies.

Ottawa announcers have seemingly always pulled out the whiny trap card when the Devils have beat them.  I've heard them do it before.  

Devils stubbornly putting up a record that's better than it should be, and continuing to avoid that back-to-reality losing streak that always feels like it's just around the corner.  But this is how they win:  get a great effort from Cory (.927 save% on the season), and get goals from the few players capable of putting them in.  We see what usually happens when either of those things doesn't happen.  

Kind of ironic that three Devils could potentially flirt with 25-30 goals by season's end...with a massive dropoff after that.  

Always nice to see Zajac get some points (3 assists in his last 2 GP)...at least his overall season looks respectable offensively, even with his goal-scoring having vanished.  

9 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Ugh, that's the worst.  I have to watch most games on gamecenter so I watch a lot of away broadcasts. That's usually how you can tell the lazy broadcast teams.   It's especially annoying when it's an announcer from a team that sucks and they're making it out as if all their other game are ultra exciting.  I don't think he's on the TV broadcasts for Florida anymore but Bill Lindsay used to always fall back on the trap nonsense and this was going back a few seasons when Brian Campbell was probably their most exciting player.    

I know a lot of people don't like Jack Edwards, but I watched the Boston broadcast of our game against the Bruins last week and he knew every little detail about who was playing well for the Devils, who was having a bounce back season and how our style changed under Hynes as compared to DeBoer and the three headed monster.   They obviously call the game like two huge Bruins superfans but they were also very complimentary of the Devils.  I actually enjoy their broadcasts.  

5 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

You know, the Devils aren't a great team. They have a great goaltender, good defense, and a bunch of surprise offensive players this year.  However, they are still 25th in the league in goals scored and have one winning streak since mid-October. That said, the biggest difference for me this year has been holding leads. The Devils are now 9-0-0 when leading after the first period. That is just night and day from what we've seen in past seasons.

Very true, but the good news is that everyone that would probably be considered important to our future, both shorter term and long term, have had very good seasons.   Schneider, Henrique, Palmieri, Larsson and Cammalleri have all had outstanding seasons so far.   I would like to see more out of Severson given that he's shown some flashes at times that we haven't seen since Niedermayer, but he's overall been decent.  Zajac has had a nice bounce back this year. Moore looks like a solid pickup.  Schlemko has done enough that he'll either be re-signed or traded for a decent pick, so that will help. 

I guess you could say some of the young guys like Josefson, Matteau, Merrill and Gelinas have been disappointing in their development and inability to move up the depth chart but going into the season I already pretty much assumed those guys topped out at dime a dozen players.  Shero has already shown that he can pull some good depth players off of the free agent scrap heap.   

Edited by Lateralous

57 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know a lot of people don't like Jack Edwards, but I watched the Boston broadcast of our game against the Bruins last week and he knew every little detail about who was playing well for the Devils, who was having a bounce back season and how our style changed under Hynes as compared to DeBoer and the three headed monster.   They obviously call the game like two huge Bruins superfans but they were also very complimentary of the Devils.  I actually enjoy their broadcasts.  

I spend lots of time in rhode island for work, and yes Edwards has the most respect for the devils organization than any other media talking head, particularly Lou and Marty

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Noticed the same with Jim Jackson (Flyers), I enjoy his call a lot. He even brings up contract terms and discusses who's UFA later this season, who's got a one-way contract, who can't be sent down, who might be sent up from the minors, all while calling a rival team playing the Flyers. Really enjoyed his insight during our preseason games that CSN Philly broadcast.

He *seems*, at least, to have a lot of respect for the Devils organization. Or maybe we're just used to Sam Rosen, who can't be bothered to offer any insight on whatever opposition the league's greatest team ever, the New York Rangers, happen to be playing any night.

Edited by DJ Eco

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So help a dumb guy here. What is the implication of that stat? IOW, why is that important?

16 minutes ago, adavid said:

So help a dumb guy here. What is the implication of that stat? IOW, why is that important?

its just an indication of the lack of possession time in the OZ.  but you need to weigh the fact that we were leading early and playing with a two goal lead all night, that skews the corsi numbers in the trailing teams favor, human nature! but we were hanging on for dear life, no doubt about it. the trap talk is clearly BS, they entered our zone with ease and stayed there LOL

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

its just an indication of the lack of possession time in the OZ.  but you need to weigh the fact that we were leading early and playing with a two goal lead all night, that skews the corsi numbers in the trailing teams favor, human nature! but we were hanging on for dear life, no doubt about it. the trap talk is clearly BS, they entered our zone with ease and stayed there LOL

Ah cool. Thanks for the explanation!

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

The Devils are bottom 3 in score adjusted Corsi. They are really bad at 5v5. 

We're one of the best teams in the league at playing in the defensive zone 5 on 5.  All of the problems 5 on 5 come from the offensive end of it.  As you can see, the Devils are beasts at suppressing opponents' offense which is what's the most important thing to winning hockey games. It's easier to fix scoring problems than to fix defensive problems.

HD Scoring Chances Against: 2nd

Scoring Chances Against: 1st

Corsi Against: 1st

Fenwick Against: 2nd

Shots Against: 2nd

Goals Against: 8th

Edited by Mike Brown