GDT - Devils @ Senators - 12/30/15

NJDfan1711

17 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

We're one of the best teams in the league at playing in the defensive zone 5 on 5.  All of the problems 5 on 5 come from the offensive end of it.  As you can see, the Devils are beasts at suppressing opponents' offense which is what's the most important thing to winning hockey games. It's easier to fix scoring problems than to fix defensive problems.

HD Scoring Chances Against: 2nd

Scoring Chances Against: 1st

Corsi Against: 1st

Fenwick Against: 2nd

Shots Against: 2nd

Goals Against: 8th

Outscoring the opponent is the most important thing to winning hockey games. 

On 12/31/2015 at 10:07 AM, EdgeControl said:

I spend lots of time in rhode island for work, and yes Edwards has the most respect for the devils organization than any other media talking head, particularly Lou and Marty

Not to pile on here, but this MSG crew has really killed my interest in watching the team this year.

I just can't stand any of them anymore:

1) Steve - offers no unique insight, misses events all the time (penalties, post hits).  He clearly has no knowledge of the nuances of the game.. I mean, I don't either but that's why I enjoy listening to a guy who can point these discrete things out to us.  It's remarkable just how little he offers to the game.. and how little he's improved since taking over for Doc.

2) Dano - three years later and he's still rambling.  Is the crew afraid of hurting his feelings?  Someone needs to tell him to keep his thoughts concise and to-the-point.  "OH STEVE, YOU SEE THE DEVILS THERE... THEY ENTER THE ZONE AND HENRIQUE...HE JUST GOES WIDE AND...BOY WHAT A CHANCE THERE BUT THE GOALTENDER... HE JUST SLIDES ACROSS WITH THE PAD AND..."  meanwhile the play is back in the Devils end with the other team getting a scoring chance.  But on the other side of the spectrum..

3) JMac - SLOW DOWN AND BREATHE.  You can just tell he's just incredibly nervous in front of the camera.  That combined with his yaknow annoying tendencies that he yaknow constantly falls back on makes him frustrating.

4) Deb - (SEXIST COMMENT TRIGGER WARNING) Would it be so hard to have an attractive young person do her job?  Kidding aside.. even my girlfriend this year was like "wait, why does she only talk out of the side of her mouth?  Look, she holds the mic at the side of her face!".  Her and JMac doing the intermission 'reports' is a unique form of torture.  Can we bring back Chuck the Duck?

/rant.  I've made it a point to watch the visiting broadcasts almost 90% of the time when I do catch a game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

True.  And the Devils have been doing that this year.

The Devils have a -5 goal differential at 5v5 and are +1 overall. It's not gonna continue if they keep playing like this. Shot suppression is nice but not if your shot generation is terrible. Same goes if your shot generation is good but your suppression is terrible. 

Is it better for future seasons that the defense is good? Possibly. But regarding this season, the team isn't very good and soon enough the bottom will likely fall out.

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

The Devils have a -5 goal differential at 5v5 and are +1 overall. It's not gonna continue if they keep playing like this. Shot suppression is nice but not if your shot generation is terrible. Same goes if your shot generation is good but your suppression is terrible. 

Is it better for future seasons that the defense is good? Possibly. But regarding this season, the team isn't very good and soon enough the bottom will likely fall out.

It's still much easier to fix an offense than a defense.  I'd rather be us or Anaheim than the Rangers or Ottawa.

1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

Except they are playing well.  Corsi is a very poor indicator of quality of play.

I'll just ignore the hilariousness of that and ask you to clarify: you quote Corsi and shot metrics a lot. Why do you quote something so often that you think is a poor indicator? 

Edited by Marshall

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

I'll just ignore the hilariousness of that and ask you to clarify: you quote Corsi and shot metrics a lot. Why do you quote something so often that you think is a poor indicator? 

It's still useful information.  But the eye test is still a very reliable method of evaluating play.

Anyways, here's the thing about the Sens game.  The Sens had only 9 high danger scoring chances and 27 scoring chances overall.  Both of those numbers are very much in the norm of what teams generate each game.  So despite the insanely high number of Corsi the Sens generated, most of that was just a bunch of scatter shot.  Any team should know it's completely impossible to prevent every single possible opposition shot.  So why not let them have their shots, just don't let them shoot from a dangerous spot on the ice?

Here is the order of importance for all these stats.

1. Goals

2. HD scoring chances

3. Scoring Chances

4. Shots

5. Fenwick

6. Corsi