Jump to content

GDT - Devils @ Senators - 12/30/15


NJDfan1711
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

You know, the Devils aren't a great team. They have a great goaltender, good defense, and a bunch of surprise offensive players this year.  However, they are still 25th in the league in goals scored and have one winning streak since mid-October. That said, the biggest difference for me this year has been holding leads. The Devils are now 9-0-0 when leading after the first period. That is just night and day from what we've seen in past seasons.

Very true, but the good news is that everyone that would probably be considered important to our future, both shorter term and long term, have had very good seasons.   Schneider, Henrique, Palmieri, Larsson and Cammalleri have all had outstanding seasons so far.   I would like to see more out of Severson given that he's shown some flashes at times that we haven't seen since Niedermayer, but he's overall been decent.  Zajac has had a nice bounce back this year. Moore looks like a solid pickup.  Schlemko has done enough that he'll either be re-signed or traded for a decent pick, so that will help. 

I guess you could say some of the young guys like Josefson, Matteau, Merrill and Gelinas have been disappointing in their development and inability to move up the depth chart but going into the season I already pretty much assumed those guys topped out at dime a dozen players.  Shero has already shown that he can pull some good depth players off of the free agent scrap heap.   

Edited by Lateralous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know a lot of people don't like Jack Edwards, but I watched the Boston broadcast of our game against the Bruins last week and he knew every little detail about who was playing well for the Devils, who was having a bounce back season and how our style changed under Hynes as compared to DeBoer and the three headed monster.   They obviously call the game like two huge Bruins superfans but they were also very complimentary of the Devils.  I actually enjoy their broadcasts.  

I spend lots of time in rhode island for work, and yes Edwards has the most respect for the devils organization than any other media talking head, particularly Lou and Marty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I know a lot of people don't like Jack Edwards, but I watched the Boston broadcast of our game against the Bruins last week and he knew every little detail about who was playing well for the Devils, who was having a bounce back season and how our style changed under Hynes as compared to DeBoer and the three headed monster.   They obviously call the game like two huge Bruins superfans but they were also very complimentary of the Devils.  I actually enjoy their broadcasts.  

Noticed the same with Jim Jackson (Flyers), I enjoy his call a lot. He even brings up contract terms and discusses who's UFA later this season, who's got a one-way contract, who can't be sent down, who might be sent up from the minors, all while calling a rival team playing the Flyers. Really enjoyed his insight during our preseason games that CSN Philly broadcast.

He *seems*, at least, to have a lot of respect for the Devils organization. Or maybe we're just used to Sam Rosen, who can't be bothered to offer any insight on whatever opposition the league's greatest team ever, the New York Rangers, happen to be playing any night.

Edited by DJ Eco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So help a dumb guy here. What is the implication of that stat? IOW, why is that important?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, adavid said:

So help a dumb guy here. What is the implication of that stat? IOW, why is that important?

its just an indication of the lack of possession time in the OZ.  but you need to weigh the fact that we were leading early and playing with a two goal lead all night, that skews the corsi numbers in the trailing teams favor, human nature! but we were hanging on for dear life, no doubt about it. the trap talk is clearly BS, they entered our zone with ease and stayed there LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

its just an indication of the lack of possession time in the OZ.  but you need to weigh the fact that we were leading early and playing with a two goal lead all night, that skews the corsi numbers in the trailing teams favor, human nature! but we were hanging on for dear life, no doubt about it. the trap talk is clearly BS, they entered our zone with ease and stayed there LOL

Ah cool. Thanks for the explanation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

The Devils are bottom 3 in score adjusted Corsi. They are really bad at 5v5. 

We're one of the best teams in the league at playing in the defensive zone 5 on 5.  All of the problems 5 on 5 come from the offensive end of it.  As you can see, the Devils are beasts at suppressing opponents' offense which is what's the most important thing to winning hockey games. It's easier to fix scoring problems than to fix defensive problems.

HD Scoring Chances Against: 2nd

Scoring Chances Against: 1st

Corsi Against: 1st

Fenwick Against: 2nd

Shots Against: 2nd

Goals Against: 8th

Edited by Mike Brown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

We're one of the best teams in the league at playing in the defensive zone 5 on 5.  All of the problems 5 on 5 come from the offensive end of it.  As you can see, the Devils are beasts at suppressing opponents' offense which is what's the most important thing to winning hockey games. It's easier to fix scoring problems than to fix defensive problems.

HD Scoring Chances Against: 2nd

Scoring Chances Against: 1st

Corsi Against: 1st

Fenwick Against: 2nd

Shots Against: 2nd

Goals Against: 8th

Outscoring the opponent is the most important thing to winning hockey games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2015 at 10:07 AM, EdgeControl said:

I spend lots of time in rhode island for work, and yes Edwards has the most respect for the devils organization than any other media talking head, particularly Lou and Marty

Not to pile on here, but this MSG crew has really killed my interest in watching the team this year.

I just can't stand any of them anymore:

1) Steve - offers no unique insight, misses events all the time (penalties, post hits).  He clearly has no knowledge of the nuances of the game.. I mean, I don't either but that's why I enjoy listening to a guy who can point these discrete things out to us.  It's remarkable just how little he offers to the game.. and how little he's improved since taking over for Doc.

2) Dano - three years later and he's still rambling.  Is the crew afraid of hurting his feelings?  Someone needs to tell him to keep his thoughts concise and to-the-point.  "OH STEVE, YOU SEE THE DEVILS THERE... THEY ENTER THE ZONE AND HENRIQUE...HE JUST GOES WIDE AND...BOY WHAT A CHANCE THERE BUT THE GOALTENDER... HE JUST SLIDES ACROSS WITH THE PAD AND..."  meanwhile the play is back in the Devils end with the other team getting a scoring chance.  But on the other side of the spectrum..

3) JMac - SLOW DOWN AND BREATHE.  You can just tell he's just incredibly nervous in front of the camera.  That combined with his yaknow annoying tendencies that he yaknow constantly falls back on makes him frustrating.

4) Deb - (SEXIST COMMENT TRIGGER WARNING) Would it be so hard to have an attractive young person do her job?  Kidding aside.. even my girlfriend this year was like "wait, why does she only talk out of the side of her mouth?  Look, she holds the mic at the side of her face!".  Her and JMac doing the intermission 'reports' is a unique form of torture.  Can we bring back Chuck the Duck?

/rant.  I've made it a point to watch the visiting broadcasts almost 90% of the time when I do catch a game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

True.  And the Devils have been doing that this year.

The Devils have a -5 goal differential at 5v5 and are +1 overall. It's not gonna continue if they keep playing like this. Shot suppression is nice but not if your shot generation is terrible. Same goes if your shot generation is good but your suppression is terrible. 

Is it better for future seasons that the defense is good? Possibly. But regarding this season, the team isn't very good and soon enough the bottom will likely fall out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.