GDT #40- Detroit at NJ: 7PM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fvcking hate Larkin. He's Peter Pan Geico commercial level of annoying, I've said it before

He hasn't regressed, this is us hyperbole of the highest order. If I've said it once I said it a thousand times- DEFENSEMEN TAKE TIME. ITS A PROCESS. Peaks and valleys man. Larsson being exhibit A. Re

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:
37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:
He hasn't regressed, this is us hyperbole of the highest order. If I've said it once I said it a thousand times- DEFENSEMEN TAKE TIME. ITS A PROCESS. Peaks and valleys man. Larsson being exhibit A. Relax, he'll be fine.

I don't ever remember Larsson looking even close to as sloppy and out of place as Severson has looked 75% of this season. 

Larsson was the whipping boy around here for a long time. People were calling to trade him left and right. If you want a reminder of why you NEVER give up on a defenseman as young and as talented as Severson, look at Larsson and ask yourself where we'd be without him. Patience.

Edited by MadDog2020

Detroit played a great game in their own zone.  But we really need a defensemen who can shoot the puck.  Greene and Larsson statistically are the two worst defensemen on the team at getting pucks on net, and that's a problem because they see the most ice.  Overall it was a very good effort, but the the backend is the biggest hole we have offensively.

Shots: 21-21

Corsi: 45-34 Devils

Scoring Chances: 25-17 Devils

HD Scoring Chances: 6-4 Red Wings

Hard to believe this is only the second time NJ has been shutout considering they basically have 2 lines. Mrazek wasnt tested too much but he did make a couple of saves that stick out. I will say that I came away really impressed with our D. Detroit has a lot of firepower and offensive depth and limiting them to 21 shots is pretty damn good. I thought Larsson had a strong effort and it seems he's ready to anchor his own pair, which is huge. I like Moore but I'd like to see Severson with Greene getting those top minutes.

Palmieri had over 20% of our shots....he's so good. This was a coinflip that NJ has been winning a bunch, cant get too upset. The effort was there

i thought detroit played a real good game and took away just about any transition the devils tried to have. this was just as much about detroit playing a solid game as it was the devils just not being able to break through and missing cammallerri.

as an aside, i went out of my way to get there early to get the cory bobblehead and realized 5 minutes from the arena i left my tickets at home (while i could've done mobile tickets, i had extras for my kids and theirs were printed from ticketmaster). by the time i went back home and got them and got back to the arena it was 7:00 and they were all gone.

what kinda stinks is that they only had 10k (and you know they held a couple hundred back for later giveaways and such) and this was a free ticket game so you had a sellout going in. there were plenty of people that i saw that had 4-6 of them because they brought groups of kids with them. this is where what the yankees do for things like these (14 and over) works out. it makes it so that a family of 4 or 5 gets 2 (one for each adult) and not 5.

By the way, I positively cannot stand Gionta. It's brewing into a Rob Niedermayer level of hatred. We should stop trying to play with family members of former greats

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

By the way, I positively cannot stand Gionta. It's brewing into a Rob Niedermayer level of hatred. We should stop trying to play with family members of former greats

i made the point to my brother at the game that it seems like whenever there is a chance for something to happen offensively, it's fvcking steven gionta that is there and just destroys any chance of anything happening.

i thought detroit played a real good game and took away just about any transition the devils tried to have. this was just as much about detroit playing a solid game as it was the devils just not being able to break through and missing cammallerri.

as an aside, i went out of my way to get there early to get the cory bobblehead and realized 5 minutes from the arena i left my tickets at home (while i could've done mobile tickets, i had extras for my kids and theirs were printed from ticketmaster). by the time i went back home and got them and got back to the arena it was 7:00 and they were all gone.

what kinda stinks is that they only had 10k (and you know they held a couple hundred back for later giveaways and such) and this was a free ticket game so you had a sellout going in. there were plenty of people that i saw that had 4-6 of them because they brought groups of kids with them. this is where what the yankees do for things like these (14 and over) works out. it makes it so that a family of 4 or 5 gets 2 (one for each adult) and not 5.

Agreed re: Detroit. They were very structured tonight, really didn't give us much of a sniff. Mrazek didn't have to do too much, but he made a couple of nice saves. As was mentioned, effort was there tonight, but sometimes you just have to give credit to the opposition. They get paid too.

I thought the devils outplayed Detroit for a majority of the game.  This is the type of game where we really needed cammy as well as 1 or two more goal scorers.  I am hoping this wrist issue is not going to turn into another "sore jaw" thing he had last year.

I completely agree with the lunacy of the bobble head and giving them to little kids.  It really should be 12 and over getting one.  Devils used to have a policy on most giveaways geared towards non-kids items where it was for 12 and over and I am not even going that far back.  They need to start doing that again.

33 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Are you a full season ticket holder? If so I would just reach out to your rep and they can probably get you one. They were selling Henrique bobbleheads in the store at some point so there are definitely extras laying around. 

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I thought the devils outplayed Detroit for a majority of the game.  This is the type of game where we really needed cammy as well as 1 or two more goal scorers.  I am hoping this wrist issue is not going to turn into another "sore jaw" thing he had last year.

I completely agree with the lunacy of the bobble head and giving them to little kids.  It really should be 12 and over getting one.  Devils used to have a policy on most giveaways geared towards non-kids items where it was for 12 and over and I am not even going that far back.  They need to start doing that again.

That's kinda what Hasan said. I thought the Devils played solid. Strong puck possession. More chances. But no finish. Detroit played solid D in the 3rd and killed that penalty with ease. Actually recapped this one:

Devils shutout by Mrazek 1-0

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Are you a full season ticket holder? If so I would just reach out to your rep and they can probably get you one. They were selling Henrique bobbleheads in the store at some point so there are definitely extras laying around. 

yes - and i talked to my rep at the game - he alone got 20+ requests from people that didn't get them. i talked to another rep also - they honestly don't think they have any left. the henrique ones they sell are different than the giveaways.

Just now, sundstrom said:

yes - and i talked to my rep at the game - he alone got 20+ requests from people that didn't get them. i talked to another rep also - they honestly don't think they have any left. the henrique ones they sell are different than the giveaways.

Ah sorry, was worth a shot at least. 

Devils were really aggressive all game - you can tell that Hynes has given all the D the green light and really wants them involved.  They still just have almost no ability to make offense through center - Zajac had an excellent game and was able to do this, but no one else was.

the frustrating part of last night was thazt the Devs could not break though the neutral zone during the last 10 minutes. Cammy would probably have helped, but the Devs need to find someone who can carry the puck the way Gomez did last year. and I'm not suggesting we sign gomez, ( although he'd be a hell of a lot better than gionta, tootoo, ruutu, kennedy..shall I go on??)

8 to 10 shots the last two period is embarrassing...

Always hurts when one of the few guys capable of putting pucks in the net is a lock not to play in 82 games.  If the Devils can get 70 games out of Cam any given season, that's about the best that can be expected. 

I was at the game last night.  The effort was there.  They went toe to toe with Detroit.  Puck pressure was there. 

In the end, the Devils lack the player that can make something out of nothing.  The difference maker player that can create space in a tight checking game.  They surely could have benefitted having a player that can break through the neutral zone by himself last night.  They were just pathetic getting the puck from their own blue line across the other team's blue line, especially in the last 4 minutes of the game.  Dump and chase only goes so far.

I was at the game too and saw that it was a competive game. Severson had some brain dead moves last night and I hate to pile on but he isn't what he was last year.

That Gionta breakaway was brutal, I didn't even get out of my seat.

We got there early-ish and the the bobble heads were long gone. Had to suffer as a bunch of DET fans in front of us had an armful.

20 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I was at the game too and saw that it was a competive game. Severson had some brain dead moves last night and I hate to pile on but he isn't what he was last year.

That Gionta breakaway was brutal, I didn't even get out of my seat.

We got there early-ish and the the bobble heads were long gone. Had to suffer as a bunch of DET fans in front of us had an armful.

curious what time you got there when they were gone.

I caught most of this game, though it was on and off while I was trying to put up a really heavy TV wall mount.  The effort might've been there, but man, did it seem like we had a whole lot of nothing going on.  Last night's game really made me realize how much we lack a true superstar, basically to the days of Kovy who could pretty much be counted on to find the back of the net each night or at least make something happen.  We don't have any one who puts the other team on edge and forces them off their game a little.  Kovy's speed did it to everyone.  Parise was a playmaker who could dangle and also set up other players. 

Henrique, Zajac, even Palmieri to a degree, they're all nice players and will probably flirt with 20-25 goals each, with one of them possibly testing 30, but with how bad the bottom half of the roster is, we really need that one superstar forward who can score 40-50.  I know they're rare and I'm not saying it's easy, but I think I'd be happier and more at ease if the bulk of our roster was at least full of decent B-grade players, but in reality it's mostly D+ or C- players at best.

Funny how it can go with bobbleheads.  I remember going to the Mo Vaughn bobblehead day at Shea Stadium back in May of 2003 (May 10 to be exact...I'm not going to pretend that I knew the date off the top of my head, I looked it up)...Vaughn's career actually ended about a week earlier, though no one knew it then, due a knee injury...and suffice it to say that being grossly overweight during his brief Met tenure didn't help his knees or his performance one bit.  Also suffice it to day that he wasn't popular with Met fans (who with the team off to a 14-21 start were already feeling ornery)...from what I remember, several of those bobbleheads either were either shrapnel by the end of the game or simply fired into the nearest convenient trash disposal. 

Also, regarding Severson, people do need to listen to MadDog2020 -- it definitely is a process, and not always a quick one.  Adjusting to play from the minors or juniors to the NHL level is hardest for a defenseman compared to offenseman and goalies.  Just look at Hedman on Tampa.  He was the 2nd pick overall in his draft, took 3-4 years to develop, all the while people were calling for his head and saying he was a bust, and now he's touted as a top 5 defenseman in the league.