Elias has Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Derlique

20 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Long time since I've been on the boards .... But I kind of have a feeling we may not be seeing 26 anymore. Wish he would be able to go out on his own terms.  

I had hoped he would have a good year to benefit our team & then maybe a trade deadline deal to help us further.  Now it seems his season stats won't lure any other teams and he'll finish this contract out, and I imagine he won't be re-signed by us for next season, unless we lose another player to injury or free-agency.

When he comes back I'll cheer him in his final games as a Devil !

Edited by BlueSkirt

Sucks, but not too many careers end pretty.  This is the more standard route:  performance decline, general physical breakdown, etc. 

At least the major dropoff didn't take place until last season.  From '10-'11 to '13-'14 he was still a relatively effective player. 

I'd love him see to come back for, say, 5 games or so, score 2-3 goals, and call it a career.  Hopefully he doesn't think that he's got one more good year left in him...but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who doesn't know when to quit. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd love him see to come back for, say, 5 games or so, score 2-3 goals, and call it a career.  Hopefully he doesn't think that he's got one more good year left in him...but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who doesn't know when to quit. 

A game winning ot goal by him during the final home game of the season (if we don't make the playoffs)  is how I would love to see him go out. 

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Damn it sucks watching guys you grew up idolizing get old.  First Marty, now Elias.. I mean, I almost don't know if I want him to come back this year.  He'll be so far away from game-shape by that point that he'll look completely lost.

We even got lucky with Marty. He was still chugging along at Patrik's age (39). He'd help guide us to a Cup Final a year later (40). That's pretty legendary.

Hell, we're pretty lucky with Elias too. These are the kinds of declines and symptoms forwards begin to show at 35, 36, many times earlier.

Edited by DJ Eco

22 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

We even got lucky with Marty. He was still chugging along at Patrik's age (39). He'd help guide us to a Cup Final a year later (40). That's pretty legendary.

Hell, we're pretty lucky with Elias too. These are the kinds of declines and symptoms forwards begin to show at 35, 36, many times earlier.

Agreed. It's hard to go by stats because the Devils always have lower end offensive stats, but Elias was still doing pretty good as of 2 years ago. Last year he was hurt but still had some numbers.

I'm still not sure he's quite a hall of Famer, but his number will take its place in the rafters one day.

Unfortunately, it's looking sooner rather than later. 

16 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Been over it many times, but Marty's '10-'11 and '11-'12 basically saw him look almost finished through roughly about the first half of the season, and then terrific for the second half (and for most of the playoffs in 2012).

2012-13 and 2013-14 were definitely pretty shaky overall...the worst thing about 2013-14 is that he had that hot streak early on (his last real run of sustained good play) while Cory started his Devils career a little cold, which led to Marty constantly getting this White Knight treatment he didn't deserve.  The way Cory and Marty were handled that season were maddening...and Marty's quotes and blurbs that season made it even more so.  But yeah, we definitely did get lucky with Marty...at least he didn't fall apart at 34 or 35 or while he was making big money.  His prime basically lasted from '93-'94 to '09-'10, and the two seasons after that still saw him play well for extended periods. 

Elias seemed like he was snake-bit a lot as he got older (so many looking-up-to-the-rafters moments where he was clearly beyond frustrated), but he kept finding ways to put up his share of offensive numbers as the talent around him dwindled...almost stubbornly so.  He averaged .832 PPG from 2010-11 through 2013-14...his career rate (brought down a little by the .476 overall rate of this season and last) is .826 PPG.  From his breakout season ('99-'00) through '13-'14, it was .900.  It wasn't always pretty and there were seasons where it seemed like he was fighting himself, but the guy was remarkably productive and consistent for a long period of time...much like Marty.