GDT - Devils @ Avalanche - 1/14/2016

NJDfan1711

We aren't putting an NHL lineup on the ice. But, it bears noting, with the exception of Cammalleri, it's not like we have a whole bunch of studs on IR. 

We are going nowhere this season, hopefully we draft well and Shero goes and gets us a couple established guys in the offseason. 

I like Farnham and Tootoo, I hate Gionta, but that line is an atrocity. Gio would be in the AHL if he was in any other organization, Tootoo may be as well. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He didn't land a gutted team so much as he helped to gut it...but it was a group that needed some gutting.  No complaints about Shero to date, but isn't really an evaluation kind of year, especially since he's not trying to expedite false contention through a series of splashy, right-now moves.  (In that way alone, I guess you can say he's had a good year...definitely an intelligent one). 

Palmeiri was obviously a good move, I don't think anyone can quibble with that one.

I think what's next is what does he do with Stempniak?  Guy should really be moved at the deadline.   

And thank God Ruutu and Tootoo should almost definitely be ex-Devils after this season.  More deadwood gone. 

he landed a gutted team. No forwards depth, no high end prospects depth. He had a goal goaltender, a few good role player and a decent young D. 

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

he landed a gutted team. No forwards depth, no high end prospects depth. He had a goal goaltender, a few good role player and a decent young D. 

I wouldn't consider it gutted as much as a team that had simply had too much duct tape and Band-Aids applied to it.  I think of it more as a team that needed gutting, and Shero began the (some would say overdue) process with no illusions about what he was trying to accomplish.  That's why I'm glad an outsider got the job...I think Lou might have gotten out the Band-Aids and duct tape one last time if he had remained...we'll never know what exactly that would've entailed of course, and I can say that I'm glad we never had to find out. 

The unit Shero inherited did have some reasons for optimism with Schneider and the young defensemen, and it's not like they had absolutely nothing at forward (though not much).  No arguments that he inherited a mess...but that's why he was brought in to begin with...to clean it up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wouldn't consider it gutted as much as a team that had simply had too much duct tape and Band-Aids applied to it.  I think of it more as a team that needed gutting, and Shero began the (some would say overdue) process with no illusions about what he was trying to accomplish.  That's why I'm glad an outsider got the job...I think Lou might have gotten out the Band-Aids and duct tape one last time if he had remained...we'll never know what exactly that would've entailed of course, and I can say that I'm glad we never had to find out. 

The unit Shero inherited did have some reasons for optimism with Schneider and the young defensemen, and it's not like they had absolutely nothing at forward (though not much).  No arguments that he inherited a mess...but that's why he was brought in to begin with...to clean it up. 

he used the duct tape and band aids way too much in the last few years

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

he used the duct tape and band aids way too much in the last few years

So not getting into this again.

3 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Realistically, this team needs one more summer to get rid of the sh!t. Elias, Ruutu, Gionta and Tootoo come to mind

I can't ever use the S-word with regards to Elias...but suffice it to say I won't be heartbroken when the other three are gone. 

Have to admit - and this won't shock anyone here - but I'm starting to teeter back towards "SELL SELL SELL!"

I mean, I know we're only 1 point out of a wildcard spot at this point (though both teams in have games in hand) but this team clearly isn't playoff material.  If they managed to sneak in I can't imagine them making any sort of significant run.. 

Only guy I'm really pulling for at this point is Cory.  Bummed we're wasting his prime years with this garbage.

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So not getting into this again.

I can't ever use the S-word with regards to Elias...but suffice it to say I won't be heartbroken when the other three are gone. 

Haha yeah, Elias is obviously not **** but he doesn't have the wheels for this system and his body is breaking down. Tootoo has been poor and is on the wrong side of 30, Gionta has lost a step, which isn't good for a player with his talent level and I'm not even going to get into Ruutu.

Another note from last night:

I know we rag on them intermittently, especially Deb and Dano, but last night was, for me, one of the worst games to watch by our team. Steve, understandably, didn't seem into it in the 3rd [1 shot for will do that to you], but Dano's monotone raspy voice nearly put me to sleep. Really wish we had a different guy for color commentary than him, I'm resorting to watching opposing team's broadcasts on Center Ice now [save from the Bruins, Rangers and Wings thus far]

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Have to admit - and this won't shock anyone here - but I'm starting to teeter back towards "SELL SELL SELL!"

I mean, I know we're only 1 point out of a wildcard spot at this point (though both teams in have games in hand) but this team clearly isn't playoff material.  If they managed to sneak in I can't imagine them making any sort of significant run.. 

Only guy I'm really pulling for at this point is Cory.  Bummed we're wasting his prime years with this garbage.

I've always been opposed to the Devils moving Cory (and obviously with his having a NTC they'd have to get him to approve any potential deal anyway), but I wonder how long it will be before this starts to wear on him.  This season is likely to be three straight non-playoff seasons as a Devil, and he'll be 30 in two months.  And I don't see this team being that much closer next season...might be premature to say that, but I get the impression Shero is taking his time and isn't looking to rush this.  Not everyone has to play on a winner by default (Cory said when he signed that he wasn't into moving around a lot, that he wanted to stick somewhere), but being an upper-echelon player on a lousy team has to get old in time.   

Dano would be okay but for that voice, it's just not a voice you want to hear a lot of on a broadcast.  It's a shame.  I love Randy McKay but I wouldn't put him on a broadcast either.

The team just needs so much more at center.  The fact that Henrique has emerged as a good option at that position is a godsend and part of why NJ is where they are in the standings.  They so badly need a guy above him.  The dead weight will be gone hopefully - shift Josefson down a line, get rid of Ruutu, Kennedy, Gionta, Tootoo, and Matteau - there's a lot of filling in that needs to happen again next season.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wouldn't consider it gutted as much as a team that had simply had too much duct tape and Band-Aids applied to it.  I think of it more as a team that needed gutting, and Shero began the (some would say overdue) process with no illusions about what he was trying to accomplish. 

Yup, it's like he bought a new house and the wood siding is moldy and hazardous. So by virtue of removing the moldy wood siding, he already made the house better; even if it looks like crap for the first year or two til he replaces it.

Unfortunately I think next season will be more of the same for us unless Shero can pull off another Palmieri type trade or two. I don't see Zacha being ready next year. I do think we're going to be picking around 5-10 again but I doubt the player we select will be NHL ready either. 

I might be wrong here but I think Santini said he was going to continue playing at BC next season too. I might be getting him mixed up with Wood though. Jacobs might be AHL ready. Point is we won't be able to move anyone significant on defense (Severson) for a forward of equal skill until we know how Jacobs or Santini look at the NHL level. Not saying we should move Severson but I think eventually we're going to have to think about shipping someone out on defense for some forward help. I'm completely against trading Larsson so IMO Severson is the next best asset we have on defense (at this point), Greene just isn't an option although I'd be willing to be he could net us a decent return. 

So we drop some dead weight next year in Ruutu, Gio, Tootoo, and Elias (hopefully he just retires), but we really don't have anything significant to replace them with. 

I think the coaching staff has done a very good job at making a rag-tag group of players somewhat competitive for the playoff hunt.  As mentioned many times before, this team lacks many necessary ingredients to compete in the playoffs and beyond.  One thing that has been fairly consistent, however, is their competitiveness and effort.

I will tell you this, however, if the Devils arrive to the playoffs with a relatively full roster, I won't discredit the possibility of them doing some damage.  They are a team with a stud goalie, and fairly solid defensive corps captained by Andy Greene, and a group of steady two-way forwards (Henrique / Zajac / Cammy) that can hold their own.  Add to this the fact that Henrique / Ya Yo / Zajac / Elias / Larsson / Greene / Gio, etc all went to the SCF in 2012 and have the experience of a long-run in the playoffs, this could become an interesting factor that could give the team an edge.

Now, if the Devils run into a team the caliber of Montreal / Chicago (SCF) , and aren't running on all cylinders, then they are going to get trounced quicker than you can say "NHL DRAFT"....

They key is getting to the playoffs.  Getting there with a relatively healthy roster.  I can see the Devils going at least two rounds.

51 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Unfortunately I think next season will be more of the same for us unless Shero can pull off another Palmieri type trade or two. I don't see Zacha being ready next year. I do think we're going to be picking around 5-10 again but I doubt the player we select will be NHL ready either. 

I might be wrong here but I think Santini said he was going to continue playing at BC next season too. I might be getting him mixed up with Wood though. Jacobs might be AHL ready. Point is we won't be able to move anyone significant on defense (Severson) for a forward of equal skill until we know how Jacobs or Santini look at the NHL level. Not saying we should move Severson but I think eventually we're going to have to think about shipping someone out on defense for some forward help. I'm completely against trading Larsson so IMO Severson is the next best asset we have on defense (at this point), Greene just isn't an option although I'd be willing to be he could net us a decent return. 

So we drop some dead weight next year in Ruutu, Gio, Tootoo, and Elias (hopefully he just retires), but we really don't have anything significant to replace them with. 

I don't see Zacha not being ready next year.  Not that he's going to blow people away, but he's doing enough in junior and seemed close enough this past September that I think he will get a chance with the big club next year.  

I don't think anyone has said they are staying in college.  Jacobs is definitely going to the AHL next year unless he goes unsigned by NJ.   I don't think there's any way the Devils can move Severson - this defensive depth everyone talks about is quickly eroding.  Gelinas looks like he's not an NHL player.  Merrill has had his ups and downs - he's come on the last few games - but still seems like he might only be a back-pairing guy.  Jacobs has been thoroughly unimpressive.   I'm skeptical of Santini jumping right into the NHL from college.

There are some bright spots though - Blandisi looks like an NHLer, so does Kalinin, and Boucher's having the season he needs to have.  If they can nab a 3rd line center somehow they'd be in better shape next year, though I agree that the declines of Zajac/Cammalleri/Greene might mitigate any growth by next year's team.

zacha needs to be brought up next year, he's not a small weak youngster. he can handle an NHL season

what team can use a top checking center like Zajac? and can afford that novelty? can we get a first rounder for cammy if he comes back strong? time to reallocate assets that won't be helpful in 3 years or are bad fits

Not sure what kind of value Cam has.  He still has three years and $15 million coming to him after this season...there's a good chance those could be decline years at his age, and he's injury-prone to boot. 

28 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't see Zacha not being ready next year.  Not that he's going to blow people away, but he's doing enough in junior and seemed close enough this past September that I think he will get a chance with the big club next year.  

I don't think anyone has said they are staying in college.  Jacobs is definitely going to the AHL next year unless he goes unsigned by NJ.   I don't think there's any way the Devils can move Severson - this defensive depth everyone talks about is quickly eroding.  Gelinas looks like he's not an NHL player.  Merrill has had his ups and downs - he's come on the last few games - but still seems like he might only be a back-pairing guy.  Jacobs has been thoroughly unimpressive.   I'm skeptical of Santini jumping right into the NHL from college.

There are some bright spots though - Blandisi looks like an NHLer, so does Kalinin, and Boucher's having the season he needs to have.  If they can nab a 3rd line center somehow they'd be in better shape next year, though I agree that the declines of Zajac/Cammalleri/Greene might mitigate any growth by next year's team.

I hope you're right about Zacha. His disciplinary problems make me think he just needs to mature a little more but hopefully he has a good summer (of maturing).

I was hoping Jacobs was going to be close to what Severon is. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer. I thought he was doing ok in Sarnia. 

I do think Blandisi is a full time nhler next year. If not the rest of this year. 

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Another note from last night:

I know we rag on them intermittently, especially Deb and Dano, but last night was, for me, one of the worst games to watch by our team. Steve, understandably, didn't seem into it in the 3rd [1 shot for will do that to you], but Dano's monotone raspy voice nearly put me to sleep. Really wish we had a different guy for color commentary than him, I'm resorting to watching opposing team's broadcasts on Center Ice now [save from the Bruins, Rangers and Wings thus far]

I'd like to have Kevin Weekes on the broadcast crew. I like his work on the nhl network and I think he has a great voice for it. I'd take almost anyone to replace Deb at this point. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure what kind of value Cam has.  He still has three years and $15 million coming to him after this season...there's a good chance those could be decline years at his age, and he's injury-prone to boot. 

he's still a quality sniper, and if a PO bound team thinks he can help put them over the top for a run, who knows

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

he's still a quality sniper, and if a PO bound team thinks he can help put them over the top for a run, who knows

The second and third years are prohibitive.  If he was a UFA-to-be or only had a year left, the Devils could probably get more.  The penchant for injuries hurts too...he's far from being a guarantee to remain healthy for a playoff drive.