The Marty Night thread

MadDog2020

Should be, and I expect that they will, but you never know.  I'll always wonder if the real Niedermayer banner was simply screwed up, and it was too late to do anything about it before the ceremony. 

Not familiar with this,how was it screwed up?

The font on the Nieds banner is off a little from the font the team uses on it's jerseys: 2783306332ca5a93bcf6389af78fe4ec.jpg

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not familiar with this,how was it screwed up?

Both the number AND letter fonts on the Niedermayer retirement banner are wrong.  They were correct on the Stevens and Daneyko banners.  No one really knows why or how that happened, but it did. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just noticed something else off about the Nieds banner...look at the 4 in 2004.  Almost looks like the last digit might have been wrong initially, and it was replaced by something makeshift.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just noticed something else off about the Nieds banner...look at the 4 in 2004.  Almost looks like the last digit might have been wrong initially, and it was replaced by something makeshift.  

Or that they made it with the last digit blank and added the 4 later. That looks horrible actually, that's worse than the font, which I can understand because I think if it was bigger, the banner wouldn't have been uniform in size with the others. 

Look at the mini-banner replicas though...they're all proportioned just fine...Nieds' banner could've been done just fine with the correct fonts.  Something happened with the Nieds full-size banner...it's actually kind of mind-boggling that it's never been fixed.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Look at the mini-banner replicas though...they're all proportioned just fine...Nieds' banner could've been done just fine with the correct fonts.  Something happened with the Nieds full-size banner...it's actually kind of mind-boggling that it's never been fixed.

I just looked on eBay at the mini banners, the "D" "A" and "N" appear thinner in Niedermayer as opposed to Daneyko. The hole in the D (insert joke here) is larger for Dano's (insert another joke here). Dano's A-hole is also larger (more jokes). The "N" seems tighter and less spread on Nieds.

I think that font is still scaled down to fit. Anyone have them in hand to measure? 

OK, here's what I think might have happened:

[the day before the Niedermayer jersey retirement ceremony]

"Mr. Lamoriello, the banner people are here with the Niedermayer banner.  Do you want to come take a look?"

Lou smiles, broadly and excitedly, something considered by many to be an uncommon sight, a moment to savour.  His entire face lights up.  "Oh yes, absolutely, that's great!  I'll be right there!"

Upon seeing the retirement banner, the smile immediately vanishes, and is instantly replaced by a taut, almost bloodless slit.  The confusion that briefly clouds Lou's eyes quickly gives way to a growing fury.  

"What in fvck is that?!  Didn't you use the pictures I provided you as reference?  Really guys?!"

The banner people promptly begin to quiver involuntarily.  A wet spot begins to form in the crotch area of the pants of the only person brave enough to speak, rapidly widening in diameter with each labored syllable...

"Yes Mr. Lamoriello, the fonts aren't quite right, we know..."

"If you KNOW, then why the fvck did you bring it up here?!  Goddamn, I wouldn't wipe my ass with that piece of sh!t, I'd just be getting more sh!t on myself and it'd be a serious insult introducing that to my a$$hole besides!"

Very uncomfortable silence.  The speaker asks if he can go to the restroom.

"Sure, that's probably the best idea you've had in weeks.  Am-scray!"

Lou then notices something else...

"What's this 2005 sh!t?"

More painful silence.

"Right there!  Scott played his last game as a Devil in 2004, not 2005!"

A weak reply from another banner person who doesn't dare make direct eye contact with Lou:  "Yeah, but, you guys had that messy lockout that cost you the 2004-05 season, and Niedermayer didn't sign with the Ducks until 2005, so we thought..."

Lou explodes and erupts, a Mt. Vesuvius surrounded by a batch of helplessly paralyzed Pompeiians...

"We're not paying you to think you useless fvcks!  We're paying you to make a fvcking banner, which you fvcked up royally, and clearly we don't have time for you to fix this sh!t, so we're screwed.  But I don't care if you have to cut up the suit of the guy who pissed himself a few minutes ago to fix this, that five is coming off, and that banner is going to read 2004 and not 2005, because if I say Niedermayer's Devil career ended in 2004, then it fvcking ended in 2004!"  

Lou faces slowly lurches forward until his eyes lock with the banner moron's.  "And if this isn't done within the next ten minutes, I suggest you tell Colleague Piss Boy to fill your ass with peat moss, because I'm going to plant my foot so far up it you'll need tree removal to pull it out!"  Lou leaves, his near hairless head shiny and impossibly red.

Silence...followed by silence...then "Frak, God help us all if we fvck up Brodeur's banner...damn..."

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I just looked on eBay at the mini banners, the "D" "A" and "N" appear thinner in Niedermayer as opposed to Daneyko. The hole in the D (insert joke here) is larger for Dano's (insert another joke here). Dano's A-hole is also larger (more jokes). The "N" seems tighter and less spread on Nieds  

Things are getting steamy on NJDevs tonight. 

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

I know this question/favor is going to be met by hilarious laughter, but if anyone comes across an extra banner, to say I'd appreciate being able to buy one for less than what tools will toss them on eBay for would be awesome.

There is zero chance I can get home for this game.

i might be able to get you a hat lol

9 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

So I have been looking at the future models and they are projecting a nor'easter off the coast near the 9th and 10th.

If this comes to fruition lets all pray to God it is on the 10th and not the 9th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that would be a friggin bummer if it ends up the 9th. You'd have to think the league would reschedule if there is any chance of attendance being affected, tho, I doubt the Oilers have many more EC trips

So I have been looking at the future models and they are projecting a nor'easter off the coast near the 9th and 10th.

If this comes to fruition lets all pray to God it is on the 10th and not the 9th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Lord... That is the absolute last thing anyone needs that day.

Let's say it snows... Like REALLY snows. When could it conceivably be moved to? I mean, you can't have this kind of event in the middle of a fvcking nor'easter, you just can't. It would be a logistical nightmare. Seeing as how they planned this for the middle of February when snow is always possible, I hope they at least formed some type of a backup plan...

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Btw, the official game puck that will be used next week is already on eBay. Someone must have an inside source...

This puck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-BRODEUR-NEW-JERSEY-DEVILS-OFFICIAL-RETIREMENT-GAME-PUCK-2-9-30-HTF-/391376605355?hash=item5b1fdd10ab:g:DmMAAOSwX~dWr5Rt