The Marty Night thread

MadDog2020

I heard this woman complaining about the food lines for the entire time she was on line, not one break from complaining. fvck, lady, it's free food and there are 5000+ people here, how did you think that's gonna play out? 

Other people complaining that they left during the first period and didn't get their commemorative coin.

Someone else was legit getting into it with a bartender (while he was serving other people) because she was upset that it was only wine and beer that were free and not cocktails. "I don't drink wine or beer."

Where the fvck do these people come from?!?!?!

Some people in the garage elevator were complaining about it when I was leaving. "The organizational aspect sure leaves an awful lot to be desired," the father said. I said, " I thought it was great. I don't really see what more they could do to accommodate this many people for this kind of an event." Followed by total silence, the four of them self-consciously staring at each other until the doors opened and they got off.

The sad thing these are the same people who would've been bitching that just a pre-game retirement ceremony for the most special player in this franchise's history wouldn't have been enough...they'd be saying "The Devils should have a separate event at the arena, no game, just Marty."  Well the Devils do that and in essence do a nice job building up to tonight (the ceremonial face-off on Saturday, last night's statue unveiling, and now tonight), and it's still not enough.  Give me a fvcking break!

You mean how long did the event last? Doors opened for STHs at 5:00, and to the general public at 5:30. Didn't end until the game was over.

Yeah, meant how long did the event last.  Thanks! 

Sorry to start the anti-whining whine haha... It's just too much to bear sometimes.

All things aside, the event was GREAT. I really didn't expect the layout/setup to be done as nicely as it was. I wish the Devils showed up at MSG but hey, can't have it all.

Same here, I really didn't expect anything like that. I'll gladly complain about the Devils front office when I think they are in the wrong but I thought everything was amazing last night and they deserve great kudos for it. I heard some people complaining too but i didn't bother saying anything to them. 

The wall to write on and thank Marty was a nice touch too.  A chance to take a photo with the statue, the Stanley Cup and the vezina trophy was amazing. That alone was worth going to the event. The line moved well as well and I thought the staff did a great job. 

I left after the second period and received the coin.

Same here, I really didn't expect anything like that. I'll gladly complain about the Devils front office when I think they are in the wrong but I thought everything was amazing last night and they deserve great kudos for it. I heard some people complaining too but i didn't bother saying anything to them. 

The wall to write on and thank Marty was a nice touch too.  A chance to take a photo with the statue, the Stanley Cup and the vezina trophy was amazing. That alone was worth going to the event. The line moved well as well and I thought the staff did a great job. 

I left after the second period and received the coin.

The only complaint I had was how crowded and unorganized the lines in the club were before the game. I guess there isn't much that could have been done about it since the other club was behind the stage you couldn't open that. People were making two and three lines going to one spot, it could have been supervised a little better. At least they kept the food coming and you could get more pretty much anytime after the initial Q/A ended.

I totally lucked out on the food line. Walked in the door just shortly after 5:00, and when I got in I went right down the stairs to the floor, walked right up to the buffet and picked up a plate. Might have been 20 people that made it through before me; virtually no waiting. And no line at all at the bar. A few minutes later as I was making my way up to a seat, the hordes were swarming in.

Great ceremony, I just wish they cut the music during the introductions of Marty so you can hear the fans applaud.

Also, the owners are beyond AWKWARD. From telling the fans to quiet down in an unfriendly way, to being terrible public speakers, they were strange. And I wonder why there wasn't an extra gift to surprise Marty with. That usually happens at these things. I get the statue is a great gift but the way they spoke I thought they were gona throw in something else. Instead it was, 'a hearty good job' lol

The fans were superb, as were the video montages. Great ceremony. Came through really well on TV.

Great ceremony, I just wish they cut the music during the introductions of Marty so you can hear the fans applaud.

Also, the owners are beyond AWKWARD. From telling the fans to quiet down in an unfriendly way, to being terrible public speakers, they were strange. And I wonder why there wasn't an extra gift to surprise Marty with. That usually happens at these things. I get the statue is a great gift but the way they spoke I thought they were gona throw in something else. Instead it was, 'a hearty good job' lol

The fans were superb, as were the video montages. Great ceremony. Came through really well on TV.

I was there and the only awkward quieting down was Elias telling people to relax because "its like the Oscars, I only have 45 seconds."

I thought the ceremony was miles above what I expected. Great setup with the giant mask and pucks. Dano, Stevens, and Nieds being there made me feel 13 again. 

Only thing that would've made it PERFECT was if Sarge was there too.

Did everyone get the merch they wanted, or did a riot ensue?

Best part of the ceremony was Lou pointing out that although it sounded the same, his reception was different from Bettman's reception. Classic. 

hahaha yea that was great! Awesome ceremony, only thing I could't find that I wanted was the patch.

I was there and the only awkward quieting down was Elias telling people to relax because "its like the Oscars, I only have 45 seconds."

I thought the ceremony was miles above what I expected. Great setup with the giant mask and pucks. Dano, Stevens, and Nieds being there made me feel 13 again. 

Only thing that would've made it PERFECT was if Sarge was there too.

I found Patty hilarious especially coming after Harris and unknown Prudential guy, besides he'll get his own night soon enough.

I'm happy they didn't shower him with gifts. He got a statue and made a kabillion dollars. He's fine. Although, unless he was given a gift out of the public eye which is just as better. 

There was a part of me that when Doc (who's member of the HOF Committee) started talking about the Hall of Fame - that was kind of wondering if they were going to skip the waiting process for the hall of fame - given his dominance of the record book.

EDIT ADD: Reading up on it - they don't do that anymore.

Edited by HellOnICE

Yeah haha Joshua Harris is an awful public speaker, it's pretty funny. He's very, uh, "eccentric" haha... It's pretty funny really.

Gives the rest of us hope that you don't need to be a great public speaker to be wildly successful. I think Scott O'Neil (who did a good job up there) recognizes this and kind of rushed Harris off the mic haha... 

The ceremony was amazing; like Marty said, beyond my expectations. They did a tremendous job.

I think Marty's speech left a bit to be desired, but he's always been one to speak humbly off the cuff, I don't think speeches or special occasions are his specialty. I remember Niedermayer's being way more emotional and eloquent; but yeah, different strokes for different folks, that's just how their personalities are.

What a classy job the Devils did for Marty and retiring his number. The same with the statue. Marty was class all the way. Thanks for the memories Marty and the very best to you in the future. All the emotions carried over to the game and the team came through with 2 points. Schneider showed he is the true replacement for Marty. 

I was at the event on Monday as well as the game last night.

I arrived at the event Monday and had a blast.  Got here at about 5:45 and waited forever in the line at the Devils Den.  Got pretty much everything I wanted so I left a happy camper there.  Statue was a bit underwhelming but I cam imagine they put that on a pedestal.  It looks fine just wish it was a little bigger.  The event itself was very fun and didn't wait all that long in the food and drink lines.  The best time to go to the food lines was just after the statue unveiling and right when the game started when there was little to no lines and they were refilling the food.  The coins were actually pretty damn nice so happy to get one of those.  I left in the middle of the 3rd period as I was exhausted.

Last night ceremony was excellent.  Devils did a great job there with the stage design and the speeches and videos.  Truly excellent how they did it.  I didn't exactly appreciate the extended Boo's for Bettman (yeah we know you hate him but just give it a rest for just 1 night).  Also heard someone shout from around section 3 "What!!??!!" when Marty started speaking French in his speech.  I also heard various other shouts during the speeches that were either silly or even worse downright disrespectful.  I wish some people would just contain themselves for 60 minutes but I guess it's the era we live in where everyone wants to feel special.  Still even with these cretins it was a fun night and a great way to honor Marty.