The Marty Night thread

MadDog2020

Bettman had NO business speaking last night and him putting his face to EVERYTHING the NHL does is Goodell-level of narcissism and he deserved every ounce of grief he got last night :p.....he should have either been in the owner's box out of the way, or even sitting in one of the seats on the ice (preferably not even being mentioned for being there unless someone did in a speech)...that aside, if I never go to another Devils game again (which is not an impossibility amazingly enough)....this was the perfect "last game" to have attended......

Did everyone get the merch they wanted, or did a riot ensue?

Best part of the ceremony was Lou pointing out that although it sounded the same, his reception was different from Bettman's reception. Classic. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I got everything I wanted to grab except for the patch the team wore on their jerseys (which I'll grab off of eBay at some point). They must've held back a lot of the Marty books, because the kid who worked in the Devils Den had boxes of them and was handing them out to those who wanted one. The whole night exceeded my expectations. It was awesome. And Lou- lmfao. Gold. Without a doubt the line of the night. I think Lou may have thrown a few back before the ceremony. [emoji1]

The ceremony was amazing; like Marty said, beyond my expectations. They did a tremendous job.

I think Marty's speech left a bit to be desired, but he's always been one to speak humbly off the cuff, I don't think speeches or special occasions are his specialty. I remember Niedermayer's being way more emotional and eloquent; but yeah, different strokes for different folks, that's just how their personalities are.

Player speeches at these things tend to be long "thank you" lists, which I can understand...sure, it'd be nice to hear some more about their actual playing days and some stories (especially about their earlier days) but that's why other teammates and friends are there to say a few words, with more eloquent guys like Doc handling a lot of the heavier lifting, and video montages filled with younger days and career highlights.  These ceremonies are pretty much done by committee. 

I was at the event on Monday as well as the game last night.

I arrived at the event Monday and had a blast.  Got here at about 5:45 and waited forever in the line at the Devils Den.  Got pretty much everything I wanted so I left a happy camper there.  Statue was a bit underwhelming but I cam imagine they put that on a pedestal.  It looks fine just wish it was a little bigger.  The event itself was very fun and didn't wait all that long in the food and drink lines.  The best time to go to the food lines was just after the statue unveiling and right when the game started when there was little to no lines and they were refilling the food.  The coins were actually pretty damn nice so happy to get one of those.  I left in the middle of the 3rd period as I was exhausted.

Last night ceremony was excellent.  Devils did a great job there with the stage design and the speeches and videos.  Truly excellent how they did it.  I didn't exactly appreciate the extended Boo's for Bettman (yeah we know you hate him but just give it a rest for just 1 night).  Also heard someone shout from around section 3 "What!!??!!" when Marty started speaking French in his speech.  I also heard various other shouts during the speeches that were either silly or even worse downright disrespectful.  I wish some people would just contain themselves for 60 minutes but I guess it's the era we live in where everyone wants to feel special.  Still even with these cretins it was a fun night and a great way to honor Marty.

First of all I'm glad you were right about the banner and I was just being paranoid about it.  I was very relieved and happy to see it when they were handing it out.  I do wish they had the photo so I can have all 4.  with that said, I did love the ticket they gave away.

agree about your comments for the retirement.  I was also annoyed at some random drunk screaming things out while the rest of us 20k plus is trying to listen (like when he was speaking in French, etc)

Bettman handles himself real well.  He's very funny and I think his speech was terrific.  It was also really neat hearing from other all time great goalies speaking during stoppages in play from Roy, Fuhr and a few others.  The whole night definitely exceeded my expectations (from just the set up of the stage to the guests, to how everything was handled.  It was such a great night and like all of you probably feel made me real proud to have been a life long Devils fan.

Did everyone get the merch they wanted, or did a riot ensue?

Best part of the ceremony was Lou pointing out that although it sounded the same, his reception was different from Bettman's reception. Classic. 

almost.  as another person posted.  I missed out on the patches.  I was not there Saturday or Monday, so my first time there was Tuesday just before 4 pm.  and the main store down stairs was already packed.  I found everyone at the store to be very helpful with my questions on items and there were even a few runners that would check on items for me while I was waiting in line.  Truly great service.

I was able to get one of each pin (the banner pin and the retirement logo), a retirement logo: button, cup, koozie.  I got one of the Brodeur sticks listing his achievements (also showing the retirement logo), all 3 puck styles (although the one that was suppose to be in a case wasn't, and I was still charged $20 for it, but I really wanted it and knew it was more on e-bay, so I sucked it up for that one), and I also bought the program.

but even with getting there at 4 pm they didn't have a patch, which definitely annoyed me to be sold out of both patches before the doors even open.  It seems like the pucks and programs did last awhile, but that stinks about the patches.

anyone that got the 2 patches, I'm curious how much you paid for them in the store?

Edited by GIANTS79

Agreed, having Fuhr, Roy, and Hextall, of all people, give their congratulations was an awesome touch. They even had Bernie Parent say that, without a doubt, Martin Brodeur is the greatest goaltender in history of the game; that was a big deal.

Also, Patty looked like an Armani model last night, that guy can clean up!

Edited by DJ Eco

Agreed, having Fuhr, Roy, and Hextall, of all people, give their congratulations was an awesome touch. They even had Bernie Parent say that, without a doubt, Martin Brodeur is the greatest goaltender in history of the game; that was a big deal.

Also, Patty looked like an Armani model last night, that guy can clean up!

that was the best part of the bunch when Parent made that statement.  Patty will probably be in that suit next year when it's his time to get #26 up there.

My wife is the huge old time devils fan in the family, Marty (and of all people, Reggie Jackson) are her two favorite athletes.  As we sat there and watched our TV I realized I made a huge mistake not gifting her tickets to that event last night. it truly was a once in a life time occurrence. the organization knocked it out of the park! the career deserved that presentation, and that presentation deserved that career. All you long time devils fans should be honored!

Bettman had NO business speaking last night and him putting his face to EVERYTHING the NHL does is Goodell-level of narcissism and he deserved every ounce of grief he got last night :p.....he should have either been in the owner's box out of the way, or even sitting in one of the seats on the ice (preferably not even being mentioned for being there unless someone did in a speech)...that aside, if I never go to another Devils game again (which is not an impossibility amazingly enough)....this was the perfect "last game" to have attended......

He's the commisioner of the league, Marty's one of the best players at his position in the league's history if not the best, and the arena's a hop, skip and a jump away for Bettman.  I don't think there was anything wrong with him being there, nor do I think there was anything wrong with the fans booing him on stage though once he started speaking really the boos should have stopped then.

Devils sent out an email saying they ordered more merch including the programs, patches and pins. So keep a look out at the next 3 games

that's awesome.  good job by them.  I'm going to the Flyers game, so that would be great to see the two patches then.  thanks for the info 

with how well this merchandise did, that would be great if they got banner pins for the other 3 (which they never had before)

Edited by GIANTS79

So Elias is the the next natural choice to have his number retired, but who would be after that? I really think it should be Sergei Brylin.

I'll say nobody after Elias. I think there will be people that wouldn't even say yes to Elias and I don't think anyone comes close to Elias in terms of likelihood. 

It was a job well done. I was actually surprised to see how many people they got to come out to the event, given it being on a Tuesday in the middle of the season. That said, Sarge should've been there.

Albany had a home game also on February 9 vs. the Providence Bruins and since he is an assistant coach he couldn't be in 2 places at once.   This is nice.

Edited by StarDew