World Cup of Hockey

thecoffeecake

i am amazed that anyone could really have a problem with this tournament.

you've got 8 teams with the best players in the world. if you're upset about the two non-countried teams, get over it. who needs two doormat teams like switzerland or slovakia to get beat up and have 1/2 a roster of non-NHLers. This is an NHL/NHLPA event - not a world event.

and from a huge uniform/jersey guy, i also don't get the hate on the jerseys. the NA one could probably lose a little of the grey banding, but I'm fine with the logo and i believe it's more red than it is orange. the team USA road jersey might be the best one I've ever seen them have and the addidas stripes actually compliment it i think. whatever you believe, it's really a subjective opinion. none of these are the fvcking wildwing or mooterus abortions that we've seen in the past.

The youngstars team is a great workaround for the fact that these countries typically pick way too many guys whose best hockey is behind them and who don't belong on the team.  In competition it may be a little weird, but it certainly beats watching Norway.

I'd much rather watch underdog teams. That's the spirit of international competition. Team Europe I don't mind as much, but the U23 team is absurd. Like I and others have said, it prevents the US and Canada from icing the best possible teams. I don't care about "giving the young guys a shot" at international competition, they'll all get there when it's their turn; and for a handful of those guys, it would've been this competition.

I don't know why they waste resources putting any effort into putting this team together. Any idiot could've picked 12 2014 Olympians. They're not putting a team together, they're throwing all stars onto one roster. How does Jeff Carter keep making the Canadian roster? I don't love Oshie on the USA roster, either. It just seems to me like there's no cohesive plan when putting these teams together. And maybe that was the point as the NHL wants this to be more of an all star display, but it's not as if we've seen better roster management in past Olympics.

• Like 1

Jerseys are ok.  Not thrilled with any of them but none are the absolute suck fest of some of the other jerseys that have been produced lately.

A good source I have with jerseys is saying that it is "unlikely" the NHL jerseys will have the Adidas stripes on them, at least for next year when they switch over the logo tag.

The team NA and Europe is dumb.  The reason that people don't want to see weaker countries get beaten up is silly.  FIFA World Cup still allows these countries to compete in the finals tournament to lose to powerhouses like Germany, Brazil and Italy every year.  Those two teams just make it a complete gimmick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Jerseys are ok.  Not thrilled with any of them but none are the absolute suck fest of some of the other jerseys that have been produced lately.

A good source I have with jerseys is saying that it is "unlikely" the NHL jerseys will have the Adidas stripes on them, at least for next year when they switch over the logo tag.

The team NA and Europe is dumb.  The reason that people don't want to see weaker countries get beaten up is silly.  FIFA World Cup still allows these countries to compete in the finals tournament to lose to powerhouses like Germany, Brazil and Italy every year.  Those two teams just make it a complete gimmick.

And it's not as if the Czech team is stacked top to bottom with high end NHL talent. They've already got a KHL guy and Radko Gudas.

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'd much rather watch underdog teams. That's the spirit of international competition. Team Europe I don't mind as much, but the U23 team is absurd. Like I and others have said, it prevents the US and Canada from icing the best possible teams. I don't care about "giving the young guys a shot" at international competition, they'll all get there when it's their turn; and for a handful of those guys, it would've been this competition.

I don't know why they waste resources putting any effort into putting this team together. Any idiot could've picked 12 2014 Olympians. They're not putting a team together, they're throwing all stars onto one roster. How does Jeff Carter keep making the Canadian roster? I don't love Oshie on the USA roster, either. It just seems to me like there's no cohesive plan when putting these teams together. And maybe that was the point as the NHL wants this to be more of an all star display, but it's not as if we've seen better roster management in past Olympics.

The second paragraph should meet the first one - they'd have an interesting time together.  You say 'Oh, the young players will have their chance when it's their turn' and then ask 'How does Jeff Carter keep getting picked for these things?'  First off, Jeff Carter is still quite good though he's having a down year scoring-wise, but secondly, these management types go with the 'reliable' players, even if those players have already played their best hockey and aren't the best players.  Ryan Kesler has no business on team USA, Shea Weber no business on Team Canada, Niklas Kronwall on team Sweden, and so on.  That's just how these tournaments are.    

50 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm more against the fact of having players play against their home country. That's what makes it stupid for me. At least the team Europe players won't be playing against their own country. Might as well do team Canada 1 and team Canada 2 at this point.  

TG, is that you!?

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think it's stupid because you have players who have probably dreamed of growing up to play for their home country now possible playing against their own country. I had read that they aren't even going to be playing national anthems. 

Really hard to argue against this tournament being nothing but a farce. 

I would like to see the under 23 players refuse to go to this dumb North American team. 

That's a fair opinion but it's just a tournament. Most players dreamed of playing for wtv teams, they get drafted somewhere else and end up playing against that team. It's not much of a big deal IMO. It's a world cup not the olympics.

Also most of those kids WILL probably play for their country at some point and they should be honoured to be part of the 2nd squad. I mean there's top guys in their prime left out of team canada cause the roster is so ridiculous and those guys would be top line on most other teams.

This is marketed as  the "World Cup of Hockey," when in actuality it is a "glamour tournament" hosted by the NHL and the NHLPA, hidden behind the pretenses of a "nation vs nation" duel.  I doubt that any of these teams, at least those playing for an actual sovereign nation, will be paraded around the main road of their capital at the conclusion of the tournament if they were to win it all.

I admit, it would be nice to see how the "young stars" team fairs against the older lads.  I'm sure they will have a chip on their shoulder to knock "big brother" out.

What would interest me, however, would be a joint NHL-IIHF proposition to have a "Champions League" tournament of sorts that pins the Stanley Cup Winner and Presidents Trophy winner against other top league winners - including the AHL league winner / Swedish / Finnish / KHL elite league.

Also, it would be nice to see, Presidents Trophy winner vs. Stanley Cup winner in a "Commissioners Cup" match at the start of the following season.  In a situation where the Presidents Trophy winner also wins the Stanley Cup, then they win the Commissioners Cup by default.

Kind of follow in the footsteps of soccer.  Would make things a bit interesting.

The jerseys suck and the young guns/Team NA thing is the stupidest idea the league has had in a long time, which is saying something for a league that cranks out stupid ideas like it's their job. I couldn't possibly care less about this farce.

I actually like it a lot it gives a chance to more good players to play on the national level. So i guess that means it's not a "stupid idea" it's simply an idea that you don't like. 

No, it's a stupid idea. This is supposed to be an international tournament, and it loses all credibility when you combine two countries like this. It's a money grab, plain and simple. If you like it, great, enjoy. But Connor McDavid playing against Team Canada? Johnny Hockey playing against Team USA? I'm sorry, that's lame and its one of the dumbest gimmick ideas this league has concocted in a long time, which again, is saying something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I actually like it a lot it gives a chance to more good players to play on the national level. So i guess that means it's not a "stupid idea" it's simply an idea that you don't like. 

No, it's a stupid idea. This is supposed to be an international tournament, and it loses all credibility when you combine two countries like this. It's a money grab, plain and simple. If you like it, great, enjoy. But Connor McDavid playing against Team Canada? Johnny Hockey playing against Team USA? I'm sorry, that's lame and its one of the dumbest gimmick ideas this league has concocted in a long time, which again, is saying something.

This. I was originally going to try to go to this tournament until I read the part about the north American team. If USA wins great, I'll still root for them but I'm not travelling and paying a ton of money for tickets for a championship that doesn't really matter.  I may change my mind on this if USA actually makes the finals because I've never been to a USA hockey game and it's on my bucket list. 

The thing with this for me is that if you want NHL players to skip the Olympics because this is the most important international hockey tournament then you have to create it like an actual international tournament would be created. 

12 hours ago, Triumph said:

The second paragraph should meet the first one - they'd have an interesting time together.  You say 'Oh, the young players will have their chance when it's their turn' and then ask 'How does Jeff Carter keep getting picked for these things?'  First off, Jeff Carter is still quite good though he's having a down year scoring-wise, but secondly, these management types go with the 'reliable' players, even if those players have already played their best hockey and aren't the best players.  Ryan Kesler has no business on team USA, Shea Weber no business on Team Canada, Niklas Kronwall on team Sweden, and so on.  That's just how these tournaments are.    

I wasn't suggesting anyone on the U23 team would be entitled to anything. It's just ridiculous to say "give them a chance" in an international tournament when everyone on that roster will likely have their shot when it's their generation's turn to skate for gold.

Jeff Carter is trash for a tournament like this. I'm not for assembling all-star teams like I said, but with this type of roster construction, he has no business anywhere near the ACC in September.

14 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i am amazed that anyone could really have a problem with this tournament.

you've got 8 teams with the best players in the world. if you're upset about the two non-countried teams, get over it. who needs two doormat teams like switzerland or slovakia to get beat up and have 1/2 a roster of non-NHLers. This is an NHL/NHLPA event - not a world event.

and from a huge uniform/jersey guy, i also don't get the hate on the jerseys. the NA one could probably lose a little of the grey banding, but I'm fine with the logo and i believe it's more red than it is orange. the team USA road jersey might be the best one I've ever seen them have and the addidas stripes actually compliment it i think. whatever you believe, it's really a subjective opinion. none of these are the fvcking wildwing or mooterus abortions that we've seen in the past.

I 'get' what you're saying, but this is a World Cup we're talking about

On 3/3/2016 at 5:44 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I am gonna echo you here MD. I love the Young Guns roster. Having young stars on their own team is exciting. It adds much needed juice to a tournament that's been lacking. 

On 3/4/2016 at 7:57 PM, Satans Hockey said:

This. I was originally going to try to go to this tournament until I read the part about the north American team. If USA wins great, I'll still root for them but I'm not travelling and paying a ton of money for tickets for a championship that doesn't really matter.  I may change my mind on this if USA actually makes the finals because I've never been to a USA hockey game and it's on my bucket list. 

The thing with this for me is that if you want NHL players to skip the Olympics because this is the most important international hockey tournament then you have to create it like an actual international tournament would be created. 

Agreed.  The fact that there is no qualifying procedure and that the countries are hand-picked by the organizers takes away a lot of its credibility for me as well.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 0:02 PM, SterioDesign said:

That's a fair opinion but it's just a tournament. Most players dreamed of playing for wtv teams, they get drafted somewhere else and end up playing against that team. It's not much of a big deal IMO. It's a world cup not the olympics.

Also most of those kids WILL probably play for their country at some point and they should be honoured to be part of the 2nd squad. I mean there's top guys in their prime left out of team canada cause the roster is so ridiculous and those guys would be top line on most other teams.

There's a difference between playing for your childhood favorite team and representing your country, and the issue isn't simply that they aren't playing for their country's team, it's that they are going to be playing AGAINST their own country, which makes no sense.

On 3/3/2016 at 1:59 PM, Mitico12 said:

This is marketed as  the "World Cup of Hockey," when in actuality it is a "glamour tournament" hosted by the NHL and the NHLPA, hidden behind the pretenses of a "nation vs nation" duel.  I doubt that any of these teams, at least those playing for an actual sovereign nation, will be paraded around the main road of their capital at the conclusion of the tournament if they were to win it all.

I admit, it would be nice to see how the "young stars" team fairs against the older lads.  I'm sure they will have a chip on their shoulder to knock "big brother" out.

What would interest me, however, would be a joint NHL-IIHF proposition to have a "Champions League" tournament of sorts that pins the Stanley Cup Winner and Presidents Trophy winner against other top league winners - including the AHL league winner / Swedish / Finnish / KHL elite league.

Also, it would be nice to see, Presidents Trophy winner vs. Stanley Cup winner in a "Commissioners Cup" match at the start of the following season.  In a situation where the Presidents Trophy winner also wins the Stanley Cup, then they win the Commissioners Cup by default.

Kind of follow in the footsteps of soccer.  Would make things a bit interesting.

That would be cool to see, but the Stanley Cup would no longer be the top prize in hockey, and I'm sure the NHL and the NHLPA would never go for that.

I am gonna echo you here MD. I love the Young Guns roster. Having young stars on their own team is exciting. It adds much needed juice to a tournament that's been lacking. 

Derek I don't think you be echoing me on this point at all, as I hate the idea, so I have to assume you meant to say you echo SD lol.

• 2 months later...

What does everyone think of the final roster? I think Callahan's inclusion is a joke, and it honestly looks like Tortorella's personal goon squad. We knew a torts-lombardi team was going to look like this. I think Bobby Ryan and Kessel needed to be on the roster, and I think it's a better team with Palmieri on it. Niskanen over shattenkirk and Fowler? This is gonna go the way of Sochi.

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

What does everyone think of the final roster? I think Callahan's inclusion is a joke, and it honestly looks like Tortorella's personal goon squad. We knew a torts-lombardi team was going to look like this. I think Bobby Ryan and Kessel needed to be on the roster, and I think it's a better team with Palmieri on it. Niskanen over shattenkirk and Fowler? This is gonna go the way of Sochi.

The US team is all kinds of awful. Lombardi doing the rounds and interviewing everyone involved in 1996 is hilarious.

On March 5, 2016 at 8:40 PM, devilsfan26 said:

Agreed.  The fact that there is no qualifying procedure and that the countries are hand-picked by the organizers takes away a lot of its credibility for me as well.

Was it more credible to have teams beating other teams 12-1 ? I rather have a team of young guns that has a chance rather than seeing teams with one NHL player on their roster that will get light up 100% sure.