World Cup of Hockey

thecoffeecake

11 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

What does everyone think of the final roster? I think Callahan's inclusion is a joke, and it honestly looks like Tortorella's personal goon squad. We knew a torts-lombardi team was going to look like this. I think Bobby Ryan and Kessel needed to be on the roster, and I think it's a better team with Palmieri on it. Niskanen over shattenkirk and Fowler? This is gonna go the way of Sochi.

It's horrible.  In addition to the omissions you listed, how do they not take Justin Faulk or Tyler Johnson?   How does Jack f'ing Johnson keep making these teams?   

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Was it more credible to have teams beating other teams 12-1 ? I rather have a team of young guns that has a chance rather than seeing teams with one NHL player on their roster that will get light up 100% sure.

This is an 8 team tournament, not a 16 team tournament. Kazakhstan and Norway aren't going to be there. Switzerland and Slovakia are perfectly competent hockey countries. Do you think the Czechs are beating either of those teams 9 times out of 10? Absolutely not.

And yea, it would be more credible regardless. This whole thing undermines the spirit of international competition. But, it's what we got.

7 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

This is an 8 team tournament, not a 16 team tournament. Kazakhstan and Norway aren't going to be there. Switzerland and Slovakia are perfectly competent hockey countries. Do you think the Czechs are beating either of those teams 9 times out of 10? Absolutely not.

And yea, it would be more credible regardless. This whole thing undermines the spirit of international competition. But, it's what we got.

No, they're not, and neither are the Czechs, but there has to be 8.

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

No, they're not, and neither are the Czechs, but there has to be 8.

So you're saying there are only 5 countries good enough to be considered for international tournaments? That's nonsense. Hockey fans' obsession with parity is so far over the top. Some countries can be better than others, and that's OK. Some countries can be underdogs, and that's OK. That's what sports are about.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

So you're saying there are only 5 countries good enough to be considered for international tournaments? That's nonsense. Hockey fans' obsession with parity is so far over the top. Some countries can be better than others, and that's OK. Some countries can be underdogs, and that's OK. That's what sports are about.

Thanks for explaining sports to me.  Yeah, there are basically 5 teams I want to watch at that level.  It's a shame that Slovakia and the Czech Republic have fallen off like they have - they used to be one of those teams.  I hope the Swiss can continue to improve - in 10 years if they keep going on this path they might be at the Czechs' level.

Just saw on SI that the NHL will have ads on the shoulders of the jerseys worn by players during the World Cup of Hockey and will "monitor fan response" to determine how they go about implementing them on NHL team jerseys going forward.  Since the World Cup is nothing but a money grab for the NHL, this news is not shocking in any way.  However, I can't stand the idea of ads on jerseys, helmets, socks, or other parts of the uniform.  It looks completely tacky and is distracting IMO.  Hopefully it never happens, but I'd bet every last cent I have in the bank on seeing ads on game jerseys in the NHL beginning in 2017-18.

• 2 months later...
Not sure whether or not to believe him... one can hope... 

The #WCH2016 jerseys will have a small SAP shoulder patch logo. Bettman said do not make the leap to NHL jerseys soon having advertising.

Bettman re. advertising not coming to NHL sweaters: "I am a believer in the history, tradition and exactly how special NHL sweaters are."

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:
Not sure whether or not to believe him... one can hope... 

The #WCH2016 jerseys will have a small SAP shoulder patch logo. Bettman said do not make the leap to NHL jerseys soon having advertising.

Bettman re. advertising not coming to NHL sweaters: "I am a believer in the history, tradition and exactly how special NHL sweaters are."

Couldn't care less about the jersey since I probably wont even watch the tournament, but the day that ads come to a devils sweater will be the last day I buy I devils sweater.

• 4 weeks later...
On August 17, 2016 at 6:05 PM, dmann422 said:

Couldn't care less about the jersey since I probably wont even watch the tournament, but the day that ads come to a devils sweater will be the last day I buy I devils sweater.

Unless you're getting a game worn, it shouldn't be an issue. In leagues where they do have advertising on jerseys (like the AHL), the jerseys sold at retail don't include the sponsor patches.

in fact, some jersey collectors run themselves ragged trying to find them to make their jerseys "more authentic".

Plus they already have a Reebok ad on the back. :)

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Not gonna lie, if that's the kind of on uniform advertising we'll end up seeing in the NHL, I'm okay with it, you can barely notice it.

It will start there.  Give it time, and players will start looking like a nascar driver.  

I hate the way soccer jerseys look.  i find it utterly annoying to have ads anywhere on the jersey.  It's bad enough dealing with the ads on the ice, on the boards, as well as the virtual ads on the glass.  ESPN is unwatchable for the stupid in program advertising they do.  It's just not necessary on the jersey IMO.

How disgraceful it is that jerseys that represent your country have SAP on them (SAP for Spanish!) It cheapens the sport, it makes it look unimportant, bush league, and trivial. These jerseys, while not the actual flag of the countries, do incorporate some sacred elements to them, and to throw SAP on it has just turned me off. Not watching.

And the NHL needs to stop taking cues from Soccer. Soccer is soccer and hockey is hockey. No soccer inspired jerseys. We don't sing songs, we don't wear dopey scarves, we fight, and there is no shootout. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

How disgraceful it is that jerseys that represent your country have SAP on them (SAP for Spanish!) It cheapens the sport, it makes it look unimportant, bush league, and trivial. These jerseys, while not the actual flag of the countries, do incorporate some sacred elements to them, and to throw SAP on it has just turned me off. Not watching.

And the NHL needs to stop taking cues from Soccer. Soccer is soccer and hockey is hockey. No soccer inspired jerseys. We don't sing songs, we don't wear dopey scarves, we fight, and there is no shootout. 

How in the fvck is singing songs un-hockey? Go to a game in Europe and fans sing all the time. Are they lesser hockey fans than you? Wait, don't answer that...

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or joking around, but SAP is not for Spanish lol.... SAP is one of the largest companies in the world. its a German company that does software and hardware engineering solutions for practically every Fortune 1000 company in the world. They are also the ones who helped the NHL with collection of stats and a bunch of other things.

Lastly, even though this is run by the NHL, this is still the World Cup of Hockey. As such, it makes sense to include the traditions of fans from countries represented in the world. That includes scarves and singing songs...whether we like it or not.

Edited by StormJosh

42 minutes ago, Marshall said:

How in the fvck is singing songs un-hockey? Go to a game in Europe and fans sing all the time. Are they lesser hockey fans than you? Wait, don't answer that...

It's NHL and everything else is on a lower rung. You don't bring that lame lower rung crap up to the bigtime.

1 hour ago, StormJosh said:

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or joking around, but SAP is not for Spanish lol.... SAP is one of the largest companies in the world. its a German company that does software and hardware engineering solutions for practically every Fortune 1000 company in the world. They are also the ones who helped the NHL with collection of stats and a bunch of other things.

Lastly, even though this is run by the NHL, this is still the World Cup of Hockey. As such, it makes sense to include the traditions of fans from countries represented in the world. That includes scarves and singing songs...whether we like it or not.

Has to be sarcasm right? lol.

From wiki:

SAP SE is a German multinational software corporation that makes enterprise software to manage business operations and customer relations. SAP is headquartered in Walldorf, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, with regional offices in 130 countries. Wikipedia

17 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Has to be sarcasm right? lol.

From wiki:

SAP SE is a German multinational software corporation that makes enterprise software to manage business operations and customer relations. SAP is headquartered in Walldorf, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, with regional offices in 130 countries. Wikipedia

great. Don't put your crap ads on jerseys. That's low brow bush league stuff. Maybe we can have Chicos Bail Bonds underneath the Tre Kroner too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, '7' said:

great. Don't put your crap ads on jerseys. That's low brow bush league stuff. Maybe we can have Chicos Bail Bonds underneath the Tre Kroner too?

I get what you are saying but I watched the first game and never even noticed the ads once. I had forgotten they were even going to have them. Hard to be that upset over something so small I never noticed it.

7 hours ago, '7' said:

I wish that was true.