World Cup of Hockey

thecoffeecake

I can't get over what a mockery choosing tortorella made of Team USA from the very beginning. He's going to sit Paciorietty and call him out to the media after a few scrimmages? That's one of the best goal scorers from this country, and he's not gonna play him because he isn't going to kick Marchand in the balls, or whatever old time hockey tactic Tortorella thinks makes him look badass. Torts is the Donald Trump of hockey. An unfiltered moron so entirely unqualified for what he's doing that it's borderline comical. If I'm Canadian I'm enjoying every minute of this. His unemployed status must have been the only reason he was picked over a Bylsma or Capuano.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I can't get over what a mockery choosing tortorella made of Team USA from the very beginning. He's going to sit Paciorietty and call him out to the media after a few scrimmages? That's one of the best goal scorers from this country, and he's not gonna play him because he isn't going to kick Marchand in the balls, or whatever old time hockey tactic Tortorella thinks makes him look badass. Torts is the Donald Trump of hockey. An unfiltered moron so entirely unqualified for what he's doing that it's borderline comical. If I'm Canadian I'm enjoying every minute of this. His unemployed status must have been the only reason he was picked over a Bylsma or Capuano.

Did I miss something, is he not still coaching the Blue Jackets? 

I caught the end of the USA Finland game last night, and I can confidently say that was the worst broadcast I have ever listened to. And the post game coverage was horrible, too. They were debating the delay of game rule like it was new, and talking up Abdelkader for earning that time on the PK at the end of the game for what he's done so far in the pre-tournament after everyone was surprised he made the team. Abdelkader hasn't earned a thing; Tortorella is going to live or die with the "character" guys he hand picked to play his style of hockey.

Everything about this tournament is a joke, but it's top level international hockey, so I'm still gonna watch every game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

Still the worst thing I ever heard spoken by a hockey commentator was Bucci last week calling a post shot.

"YO DING-DONG"

...stop it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also never got the love Bucci gets from a lot of people.  I always thought he was poor to average as both a writer and commentator.

21 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Still the worst thing I ever heard spoken by a hockey commentator was Bucci last week calling a post shot.

"YO DING-DONG"

...stop it

He is entirely tone deaf to the flows of the game of hockey. He doesn't know when or when not to elevate his voice when there's a big goalscoring opportunity or anything.

On 9/14/2016 at 2:43 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I also never got the love Bucci gets from a lot of people.  I always thought he was poor to average as both a writer and commentator.

I think it's just that he has a brand and does a good job of pushing it; the Cawlidge Hawkey thing and Overtime Challenge has really made its way around all the different angles of hockey Twitter, gotta give him credit there. But yeah, I'm not a fan of his commentating at all.

Edited by DJ Eco

On 9/12/2016 at 9:11 AM, thecoffeecake said:

Great line "Torts is the Donald Trump of hockey"

• Like 3

Parise-Pavelski-Wheeler,

JVR-Stepan-Kane,

Pacioretty-Kesler-Oshie,

Dubinsky-Backes-Palmieri.

These are the lines in practice right now. Glad Palms won't be getting huge minutes or wear and tear but I just foresee his linemates getting him involved in a lot of scrums and brawls. Stay out of trouble, Kyle.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Parise-Pavelski-Wheeler,

JVR-Stepan-Kane,

Pacioretty-Kesler-Oshie,

These are the lines in practice right now. Glad Palms won't be getting huge minutes or wear and tear but I just foresee his linemates getting him involved in a lot of scrums and brawls. Stay out of trouble, Kyle.

I get the sense Torts really doesn't like Palmieri. After those 3 penalties the other day Torts shoved him in the box for a too many men

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I get the sense Torts really doesn't like Palmieri. After those 3 penalties the other day Torts shoved him in the box for a too many men

Totally fine with it. Torts' version of liking a player means he's been able to brainwash that player into blocking 8 slapshots a game.

Palmieri, keep underwhelming. Being seen as a good player by John Tortorella is like the boxing promo company looking for the guy who can take the best and longest beating to challenge for the title. NO THANKS.

Edited by DJ Eco

3 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Parise-Pavelski-Wheeler,

JVR-Stepan-Kane,

Pacioretty-Kesler-Oshie,

I don't know about him not getting minutes. Once the tournament gets going, I think he'll lean on that kind of gritty line. Just about every team is faster than Team USA, and this was Torts' game plan from day one.

Where's Abdelkader? He's Tortorella's little puppy.

Edited by thecoffeecake
  • Like 1

I don't know about him not getting minutes. Once the tournament gets going, I think he'll lean on that kind of gritty line. Just about every team is faster than Team USA, and this was Torts' game plan from day one.

I still cannot believe that Justin Abdelkader is on this fvcking team...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Ugh, forgot about him. He was such an annoying and dirty player from what I saw in the prelim games. This team overall is really hard to root for, and Tortorella makes it harder and harder each day.

Edited by DJ Eco

3 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Ugh, forgot about him. He was such an annoying and dirty player from what I saw in the prelim games. This team overall is really hard to root for, and Tortorella makes it harder and harder each day.

I feel the same way. I don't want to root against my country, but I just hate Tortorella so much! Other than moving into the same division as the Devils, he's the reason I can't root for the Blue Jackets anymore. Which kind of sucks being from Ohio. I'm tempted to cheer for Czech Republic or Canada. 

Edited by Nicomo

14 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

3:30pm ET: USA vs. Europe, ESPN2, SN, TVAS

http://ice.wch2016.com/preview?id=2016060101

My thoughts: this is a USA team with some players hand-picked by Torts and somewhat lacking in depth. I think they are in over their heads. 

Yea, you're definitely right. I wouldn't have minded Dubinsky, but him with Abdelkader, Jack Johnson, Ryan fvcking Callahan would've been on this team if he didn't hurt himself, or whatever happened to him. It's a mess. All while Justin Faulk, Bobby Ryan, and Phil Kessel, who made a serious Conn Smythe bid three months ago, are sitting on their couch.

As much as I'm disappointed by this team and absolutely hate Tortorella, supporting them isn't a matter of choice for me. National teams of any sport representing any country transcend just the group of 30 players and personnel that happen to be at a given tournament.

• Like 1