GDT: Thank You Marty. 8pm MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

How many sports franchises have the honor of having the best player of his position play (almost) his entire career with the same team he started with? Not many. 

When I was ten I built a cardboard and tin foil Stanley Cup and spent the entire day standing on my front lawn celebrating the Devils 2000 cup the night before.

When I was 11 I cried my eyes out seeing Ray Borque raise a cup.

When I was 13, I watched my favorite player win a third cup for the Devils.

After this, I witnessed some of the greatest performances and seasons that any goaltender has ever had. Most minutes. Most consecutive 40+ win seasons. Most playoff wins. Goals scored.

I was there for 552.  I was in awe.

Marty is not only the best goaltender of all time, but was and is a player who represents the heart and soul of this organization: Greatness.

May the Devils pay homage to the best goaltender in NHL history with yet another win against the Edmonton Oilers.

Most of all, I'm happy to be able to be in the same building as we celebrate my hero tonight.

I will cry. 

Let's go Devils.

Marty's better.

brodeur012.jpg

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 2

Great thread. I absolutely love Marty. He is my all time favorite player and I just can't imagine there ever being another one like him. He provided me so many amazing moments that I got to be a part of. The emotion in the arena is going to be absolutely amazing and I'm thankful that we get to have one more moment that we can show him how much we love him. 

Thank you Marty! 

• Like 1

Of course I start coming down with something (cold/sore throat) a few days before this event.  Left work early yesterday.  Came in late today.  Definitely not feeling anywhere near 100%.

My wife took one look at me when I came downstairs and said "Why don't you just sell your ticket and watch this on TV?" 

The look that I shot back needed no words to convey its meaning. 

No way that I'm missing this.  I may not make it through the whole game, but no way in hell I'm missing so much as a second of this ceremony.

Lou coming back may be just as emotional as Brodeur.

The Devils need this game if they want to keep their heads above water. Things are starting to slip away from them. The Brodeur ceremony should give them a much needed shot in the arm.

6 is going to be tough. Lots of people still filing out of work and hopping on trains at that time.

Edited by '7'

I don't think the team needs a shot in the arm...unfortunately, they don't pick up many extra points in shootouts (always hurts when you're a fringe team), and they're just not that good.  They also don't have the depth to overcome Cammalleri's latest injury vacation, especially since the guys who were scoring before are cooling off.  Great goaltending can only carry a team for so long when it's right around dead last in offense, and despite being up there in defense (thanks largely to Schneider's heroics), isn't really a great defensive team.  I'm terrified every time I see #44 on the ice now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Of course I start coming down with something (cold/sore throat) a few days before this event.  Left work early yesterday.  Came in late today.  Definitely not feeling anywhere near 100%.

My wife took one look at me when I came downstairs and said "Why don't you just sell your ticket and watch this on TV?" 

The look that I shot back needed no words to convey its meaning. 

No way that I'm missing this.  I may not make it through the whole game, but no way in hell I'm missing so much as a second of this ceremony.

lol I had a similar conversation with my parents when I came down with the flu before going to Game 7 of the SCF in 2003. Needless to say I went and stuck it out through the presentations.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Lou coming back may be just as emotional as Brodeur.

The Devils need this game if they want to keep their heads above water. Things are starting to slip away from them. The Brodeur ceremony should give them a much needed shot in the arm.

6 is going to be tough. Lots of people still filing out of work and hopping on trains at that time.

There were so many people there YESTERDAY by 6 I don't think that'll be an issue except maybe for me. People don't make normal 7 PM games on time but there probably won't be an empty seat at 6 tonight lol

Yeah, I imagine people will be doing all kinds of backflips to be sure they make it on time for this. My wife works every Tuesday night, but she put this on the work schedule as soon as they made the official announcement. Of course I realize not everyone is fortunate enough to have control over their schedule, though.

Anybody here watch Marty's very first game?  I did (I was 21)...though my frat (ZBT) didn't have any actual fraternity house (I went to Montclair...there weren't any back in 1992), we had a few houses of 4-7 bros each, where we'd have parties, mixers, events, etc.  I wound up watching that game at one of those houses, with a frat bro who would later become one of my best friends (even though he's a Ranger fan).  I admit that I don't really remember much of the finer details of the game itself...part of that is because we were partaking in some herbal enhancements during the game...and though I have a pretty good memory, another part of it is that it was almost 24 friggin' years ago...and that I didn't anticipate that Marty would win 687 more games as a Devil after that one (hence I didn't immortalize the moment in my mental VCR).

Reason I ask is (and I could be wrong...I definitely can't recall specifics) that I kind of remember the commentators making it sound like Marty was more of this 19-year-old curiosity than the Devils' Goalie of the Future.  I don't remember them touting him or building him up all that much during the broadcast.     

A lot of the reason Terreri was pretty popular (I liked him too) is that he was the underdog to Sean Burke, but kept outplaying him to the point where he finally started getting more playing time than Burke (though the Devils kept giving Burke every chance to be the #1).  But though Terreri was pretty good and extremely likable (he never bitched about Burke getting undeserved chance after undeserved chance at his expense), that's all he was...pretty good at best...it was becoming obvious the Devils could only go so far with him as their top goalie.  Guy was always a team player though...I remember him being nothing but supportive of Marty in 1993-94, even as it was becoming very clear that Marty was going to supplant him as the main guy very soon. 

Terreri was pretty good for the era. Very quick, tracked the puck well...his real issue was size. 5'9 155? Not a chance. More like a shade under 5'8 so it was easy to find holes in him. If only he was a bit bigger he would've had a more distinguished career.

Wish I could have taken a half day. Luckily I leave work at 3:30, so once the old man leaves work too, I'm shooting to be at the Rock by 5:15. 

I'm going with my mother- I'm out at 3:00 and then I'm racing up to her office in Parsippany to meet her. Hoping to get there by 5 at the latest.

My brother took a personal day off today haha.. Put it in months ago. I should've done the same, but was thinking of taking a sick day; my workload had other plans. I'll be heading out early though to get there at 6 on the dot, luckily my bosses are cool with stuff like that... Phew! 2 years ago at my old firm, I wouldn't have gotten there til 8PM if I was lucky.

I took off today and tomorrow haha! I'll be there for the first time in 3 years (lifes been hectic) and better yet in a suite thanks to some really awesome friends. We're looking to get there by 5pm. Come out with a win and this will be one of the most memorable games if not the most for me. Brodeur retirement in a suite is gonne be sweet. 

Anyone know how much beer is in suites and what size they are? Coors Light obviously.