New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

On 3/10/2016 at 2:04 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Matz leaves 'em loaded with no outs in the 3rd for Bastardo (on two BB and a hit)...

and all three score.  Ouch. 

Verrett with two more good innings...he has to be ahead of Montero for a bullpen role at this point (still lots of spring left).

Montero was already sh!tcanned, in the first round of cuts. I think the org sees potential in him but our patience is wearing thin. He's getting a lot of tough love and may not be in our plans much longer. 

24 minutes ago, '7' said:

Montero was already sh!tcanned, in the first round of cuts. I think the org sees potential in him but our patience is wearing thin. He's getting a lot of tough love and may not be in our plans much longer. 

That came just after I posted "What the hell do the Mets do with him?"  Very telling that the Mets already sent him to minor-league camp. 

They need Montero at this point...Bowman may or may not be back here and who knows what happens with Pill.  Lugo is probably a lock to start the season with Vegas, but the AAA rotation isn't looking terribly promising.  At least Montero has been pretty good there when he's been healthy enough to pitch...but like I said in my earlier post, who the hell knows if 2016 Montero is the same as 2013 and 2014 Montero. 

Not that many teams have endless wells of prospects to dip into, and most teams would kill just to have what the Mets have, but if more than one Met starting pitcher goes down for the season (sadly you can never rule this out in MLB anymore) or struggles, it gets scary in a hurry. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The above I knew, as far as 2015 goes (both Bowman and Pill were beyond God-awful in AAA last season)...I keep close tabs on the Mets' minor leaguers (that's why I was bummed initially when Fulmer went in the Cespedes deal). 

I just didn't know what happened to Pill this season.  So I guess he's at the Mets' minor league camp?

Yep: 

2 hitless innings with 2 K's for Lugo. Supposedly hit 95 on the gun.

Barring injury or bad performance it's hard to see him making starts for this team in the foreseeable future but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's brought up later in the year as a reliever. He has the benefit of already being on the 40-man roster, too. 

Edited by nmigliore

Got out of a bases-loaded jam in the second too.  He hit a batter and walked one in that inning...also had to contend with a Mark Reynolds error. 

Agree, bullpen opportunities for Lugo-types have a way of popping up in-season. 

Tejada on waivers, per Rubin. By cutting him now they'll save a good chunk of his salary ($2.5M of $3M). Curious to see if that is put towards a veteran backup catcher, maybe someone like AJ Ellis (owed $4.5M) since the Dodgers have a few catchers.

I could totally see Ruben ending up in St. Louis with Peralta out 2-3 months; they were planning on using Gyorko there but that never made any sense.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm guessing this means the Mets feel pretty good about Cabrera's injury not being anything to be concerned about long-term (they probably also feel like they can get by with Flores being the primary SS for a few weeks if it comes to that).  Like nmig suggests, I think this might be about having some money to spend on a veteran backup catcher. 

AJ Ellis would be a good choice. Slugging veteran who gives you good workmanlike at bats and takes walks unlike your typical old all hack/no BB's .190 avg vet catchers. 

Kinda takes the starch out of throwing at Utley and defending Ruben when he's not even on your team anymore...

2014 Ellis was god-awful at the plate (.577 OB+SLG).  I could definitely live with 2013 and 2015 Ellis, but the specter of a repeat of 2014 might be enough to scare Sandy off.  Especially at $4.25 million.

All of the projection systems pretty much see Ellis equally:

Fangraphs' Depth Charts: .227/.327/.351, +0.9 WAR

Steamer: .226/.322/.341, +1 WAR

ZiPS: .229/.332/.360, +1.1 WAR

Those aren't thrilling slash lines, but from your backup catcher, it's fine production. He was awful in 2014 and he's about to turn 35, but I think there's enough success built around the surrounding seasons to believe that was probably a fluke. Outside of a dip in power that year, the core peripherals (BB% and K%) were still very Ellis-ian so his poor numbers are more likely to be blamed on a .225 BABIP (his career average is .282).

He does make pretty good coin for a backup, but with the savings on Tejada it's only a $2M net gain in additional salary, plus he's a free agent after 2016.

I'm not even sure the Dodgers are looking to move him, especially with how fragile Grandal is, but I'd at least look into it. It's hard to see any superior, realistic options out there.

Edited by nmigliore

I'd hope for slightly better than those projections, but I could live with something around that neighborhood for Ellis.  Low BABIP or not, 2014 was very Recker-like, which is a little scary...but at least that year looks like an outlier driven by rotten luck, unlike Recker, who was simply god-awful almost all of the time. 

Like the fact that he draws some walks and has a little pop.  Admittedly I don't know how he is behind the plate. 

Decent outing for Syndergaard:  3.2 IP, 5 H , 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.  Blevins tried to pick off Syndergaard's runner (Prado) at first and the attempt wound up being an error that allowed Prado to take third, so that runner might score.

And Prado scores on a single, so another run is charged to Syndergaard.  Not sure if it should be earned, but the box score is showing it as earned for the moment.

And now it's unearned.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

More cuts this morning...no surprises among this bunch:

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/167541430/mets-cut-dilson-herrera-brandon-nimmo-others

Bastardo touched up for 3 runs today. 

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

Tejada officially released.

I'd be surprised if he's not a Cardinal shortly.

Too bad they couldn't get even get a warm body back, but supposedly no one wanted any part of that $3 million. 

Good news re:  deGrom.  Matz pitching today too.

Cross our fingers for Cespedes...what else can we do? 

Six up and six down for Matz, 2 K.  Nice.  It's kind of funny, he's kind of the guy lying in the weeds, through no fault of his own...it's just that Harvey and deGrom have been here a lot longer (relatively speaking) and Thor is just such a hard-throwing beast.  Right now at least, you just tend to hear less about Matz than the others. 

Matz gives up five hits, three runs, and a walk over his next two innings.  He might have been a little gassed...guessing this outing was more about building up the arm strength and pitch count. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Harvey gets the Opening Day assignment...the NYP listed the Opening Day starters from 2011-on, and it's funny how quickly you forget some of the names (or how shocking some of them seem):

2015:  Colon

2014:  Gee

2013:  Niese

2012:  Santana

2011:  Pelfrey

2008-10:  Santana

Hard to believe that both Santana and Glavine each started four Opening Day games (that ranks them tied for 3rd in franchise history)...hell, friggin' Bobby Jones started three (as did Leiter).  The all-time leaders are not at all surprising:  Seaver with 11, and Gooden with 8.   

Would've like to have seen deGrom get the start, but it's not a big deal, and with his wife about to give birth, I understand if that was TC's "tiebreaker". 

Matz apparently was not at all happy about yesterday's outing, and isn't happy with his spring in general.  Supposedly was ticked off in the clubhouse after the game. 

One of those games for Colon.  You can't help but wonder when this finally becomes the norm for him...but somehow he manages to be good about 70-75% of the time.  

On 3/16/2016 at 3:00 PM, nmigliore said:

Tejada officially released.

I'd be surprised if he's not a Cardinal shortly.

For once the predictable move happened

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/tejada-added-to-mix-at-shortstop-for-cards/article_7a6c1e7b-b467-5410-ad8a-2059b6b97e07.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

On 3/18/2016 at 8:11 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Matz apparently was not at all happy about yesterday's outing, and isn't happy with his spring in general.  Supposedly was ticked off in the clubhouse after the game. 

We forget sometimes with Matz he's not actually as proven as the other big three and generally gets put on that level because of potential and he had a handful of fine regular season starts.  Not that there's a reason to worry, I'm just glad he actually is the #4 at the moment.

And btw the latest Terry quote is how he wants to play Lagares in LF and Cespedes in CF cause he doesn't think it's good for Cespedes to shift around.  Which doesn't account for the lunacy of playing our best defensive CF in left.  This team just continues to willfully ignore defense, and they're also trying to force a Lagares/Conforto platoon which would be a little more complicated if Lagares was in CF cause Conforto doesn't play CF.