New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Mets lose another...no offense yet again.  They lose 1-0, managing just two hits.  Now winless in 12.  

Anyone remember Philip Humber?  Mets took him 3rd overall in the 2004 draft (the pitcher they really wanted was Justin Verlander, who was taken with the 2nd pick by the Tigers)...despite needing TJS while in the minors, Humber was still high on a lot of prospect ranking lists and eventually was a big part of the deal that brought Johan Santana to the Mets.

With the exception of a 12-start stretch in 2011 as a member of the White Sox (he went 7-2 in those games and pitched very well, but faded badly in the second half of that season) and a from out-of-nowhere perfect game in 2012, Humber's major league career was wholly unremarkable...just 16 career victories (to go with 23 losses) and a career ERA of 5.31.  He just announced his retirement at the age of 33, which is why I bring him up.   

Speaking of ex-Met starting pitchers...always hard to make too much out of spring numbers, but apparently there's already some concern among the Pirates about one Jon Niese, who gave up 12 ER and 3 HR in 11 IP (3 starts) this spring.  He's all yours Buc fans...enjoy...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Heh, you know when you're champs I guess it's easy to be benevolent. Honestly if the Mets won and did a little home video summary package of the WS and run up to it showing the Royals beating Houston or something...I wouldn't care. 

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So I guess this is now 14 in a row the Mets are winless to end Spring Training?  Annoying is a good word for it but it won't mean anything when the Royals are having their ceremony on Sunday and giving us our thirty-second tribute video clip (which is bizarre).

0-10-3 to close out spring training.  And they were blown out 12-1 by the Nationals today.

It feels like this team has no mojo coming out of spring training at all. It's starting to feel like these guys NEED to get off to a good start.  Also feels like the Nationals are plenty ready to atone for last year's mistakes.  And TC still being in charge is still pretty scary to me.  

The Nats won't scare me as long as Dusty Baker is on that bench. Not that he's some buffoon but I never saw him as a top manager. But it wouldn't shock me if they came out strong to start the season.

0-10-3 does worry me a little, like maybe this team is thinking "eh we're the NL Champs we can turn it on and off like a light-switch when we need to" That sort of stuff is usually reserved for legendary teams. We can't get into that line of thinking. 

At least the Mets finally broke their 14-game winless streak in freaking Las Vegas lol (forgot they had the two-game series with the Cubs there), Matz with five no-hit innings.  Kind of reminds me of game #162 last year where the game meant nothing but you're just glad they broke a long dry spell before the games started counting again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 3/31/2016 at 9:22 AM, '7' said:

The Nats won't scare me as long as Dusty Baker is on that bench. Not that he's some buffoon but I never saw him as a top manager. But it wouldn't shock me if they came out strong to start the season.

0-10-3 does worry me a little, like maybe this team is thinking "eh we're the NL Champs we can turn it on and off like a light-switch when we need to" That sort of stuff is usually reserved for legendary teams. We can't get into that line of thinking. 

The latter hurt us in 2007 to be sure, although this team has the pitching crutch it didn't in 2007.  

re: the Nats I do think Dusty's what they need though, they have talent and needed a guy that would help the clubhouse come together.  Dusty's big negatives are blowing up pitchers' arms and his star-crossed postseason history.  He does GET there a lot though, and if it wasn't for Steve Bartman the Cubs might be just another team today like the Red Sox are post-2004.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least the Mets finally broke their 14-game winless streak in freaking Las Vegas lol (forgot they had the two-game series with the Cubs there), Matz with five no-hit innings.  Kind of reminds me of game #162 last year where the game meant nothing but you're just glad they broke a long dry spell before the games started counting again.

Yeah, this team has enough question marks that you don't want them losing so many games (even exhibition ones).

Really feels like some are overrating this team...right now I can't see them winning more than 90 games.  Something just feels off.  I think a lot of this season will come down to the season series against the Nats.  I think the Mets need to win it convincingly.  

And good for Verrett.  Something about him that I like.  

As the season is finally about to get underway...two questions for everyone here:

How many wins?  I say they match last year's 90-72 record.

What is your one big prediction (could be anything related to the team)?  I say TC gets fired.

92-70. I think the starting staff maybe underwhelms at first, slow out of the gate, the division is tight through may but we click into gear in June.

Wright plays 90 games. Maybe 110 if we're lucky

Big prediction...Colon hits a home run. No seriously, my big off the wall prediction is that d'Arnaud stays healthy pretty much all year. Whether or not he's a disaster behind the plate throwing to 2nd is another story.

Also I think Grandy will have another good year. Not too huge of a drop-off.

And yes, Boras and Harvey will have some planted sh!t stirring story as usual to get some back page dominance.

Edited by '7'

I say 89 but we get relegated to the play-in game cause the Nats win the division and our old buddy Wainwright beats us in the playoff game.  But that's the Met fan in me talking, I'm still excited for the season and my first home Opening Day Friday, assuming it doesn't rain.

Team-related predictions - Cespedes drops off a bit and his Yo being Yo moments (like the stupid letting the ball sit on the warning track in Spring Training goof) are no longer charming, while on the positive end Conforto has a full breakout year despite management's best attempts to keep him as a platoon player.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

'7', I think this team will indeed start slowly, which is why I think TC will get the axe in-season.  It's like I said...I think Sandy feels this team is ready to win a World Series, in spite of its flaws.  

Agree Has about Cespedes.  I think he'll turn in a very ordinary year, and we'll be hoping he opts out of his contract.  I'm just glad he didn't get signed to the big long-term deal he thought he was going to get.  

Happy Opening Day! 

Obviously, it'll be the pitching that drives this team. I think they're going to win a lot of games with those guys alone. During the spring these guys work on a lot of things and coming off a WS appearance it's easy to flop in ST. I wish we had better sticks at the corners and a leadoff batter that would drop Grandy down but they should score enough for the 5 aces to get the ball to Familia. I think their heads up matches with the Nats will determine their season in the end. You've got to beat your competition. LGM!

Re:  the Nats, I said the same thing capo, the Mets are going to have to win the season series convincingly...I think the Nats will have a better record against the rest of their opponents than the Mets will against theirs...which means the Mets will have to make up the difference head-to-head.  

I think the Nats/Mets will have a fairly even split tbh (like 10-9, maybe 11-8), if anything the division might come down to the fact we generally have more trouble with dreck with the Marlins and Phillies than they do, last year aside.

Edited by NJDevs4978

37 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think the Nats/Mets will have a fairly even split tbh (like 10-9, maybe 11-8), if anything the division might come down to the fact we generally have more trouble with dreck with the Marlins and Phillies than they do, last year aside.

Not so much the Phillies, we pretty much dominate them(And we outright own them at CBP). Braves are the ones who still give us trouble nomatter how bad they are. Marlins are big trouble for us in that stupid ballpark of theirs.

Edited by '7'

Ugh...that Duda throw to home in the World Series...hate that he's still a Met.