New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

48 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Rockies SS Trevor Story became the first player in MLB history to homer in each of his first 3 big league games (and he already has 4 on the season). Wow.

And he hasn't even played in Coors yet :P (though Arizona's also a bandbox)

Reyes might have a hell of a time trying to get playing time...whenever he actually gets on the field.  

Bowman makes his major league debut last night in what was pretty much a mop-up role for the 0-3 Cardinals:  2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.  Not bad.

Speaking of ex-Mets...Collin McHugh had a rough one last night against the Yankees.  5 ER in 0.1 IP (3 H, 1 HR, 2 BB).  Hello 135.00 ERA.  Ouch.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I always thought the bloom would come off the Colln McHugh rose. Now granted one start in a bandbox doesn't mean anything, but I was never impressed with his stuff at all. He had an impressive W/L record last year but a meh ERA. He does seem to give up a good amount of hits. Wonder if he was just the lucky beneficiary of a good run support.

edit - Looked it up. He had games where the Stros scored 10, 11,11,13, 8, 9, 9 - They score like crazy for this guy!

Edited by '7'

29 minutes ago, '7' said:

I always thought the bloom would come off the Colln McHugh rose. Now granted one start in a bandbox doesn't mean anything, but I was never impressed with his stuff at all. He had an impressive W/L record last year but a meh ERA. He does seem to give up a good amount of hits. Wonder if he was just the lucky beneficiary of a good run support.

edit - Looked it up. He had games where the Stros scored 10, 11,11,13, 8, 9, 9 - They score like crazy for this guy!

He was much more impressive in 2014 (25 starts)...he allowed just 6.8 hits and 2.4 walks per 9 IP, while striking out 9.1 per 9 IP.  He had a very low WHIP (1.022) and a ERA+ of 144 (100 is average, the higher the number, the better).

In 2015, some numbers went in the wrong direction:  9.1 hits and 7.6 K per 9 IP, WHIP went up to 1.277.  His HR allowed per 9 IP were the same (0.8) and his BB per nine didn't really change (2.3).  If you're a sabes guy, his 3.11 FIP in 2014 and his 3.58 FIP in 2015 would lead you to believe that his seasons weren't as different as the 2.73 and 3.89 ERAs would indicate.

I have to admit, I thought he started fading in the second half of the season, but he really didn't...his season ERA peaked at 5.08 on 6/13, but was 3.25 from then on out (19 starts, 119 IP, 43 ER).  Dillon Gee's 2015 suckage was a lot easier to see coming, as he pitched much worse as the 2014 season went on.  McHugh did get some good fortune with run support in 2015...5 of his victories came when he allowed 4 ER or more.   

Still, it's probably too early to say that the bloom is coming off...though as we saw with Dillon Gee, some of those "are they as good as their results suggest they are?" guys can fall apart in a hurry. 

McHugh has solidly-above average defensive-independent numbers the last two seasons. I know a lot of people don't buy into the stuff, and I certainly didn't expect him to turn out to be this efficient, but he's gotten the job done pretty well with it. 

Dillon Gee really only had one "solid" season by traditional measurements -- in 2013 when he made 32 starts, won 12 games, and pitched to a 3.62 ERA -- but even then the metrics didn't back it up (his FIP and xFIP were both below league average).

Edited by nmigliore

By the way, this Mets' opening schedule is completely ridiculous. Sunday opener in KC, off day Monday, game Tuesday, off days Wednesday AND Thursday followed by a weekend series with Philly. They have 6 overall off days during this month, which is more than the next two months combined.

I'm sure there is some logical reasoning behind it, maybe adjusting for possible bad early-April weather, but it just looks so wonky; I don't understand why it wasn't arranged for the Mets/Royals to either play 3 or Mets/Phillies for 4.

Edited by nmigliore

Mets/Royals have four games this year, a pair in each stadium. They couldn't make that a three game series and obviously they had to have the opener Sunday night. They probably should have had the first game of the Philly series today, two straight days off in a row is silly.

I think the Royals have to deal with the same sh!t and they don't even have travel.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

McHugh has solidly-above average defensive-independent numbers the last two seasons. I know a lot of people don't buy into the stuff, and I certainly didn't expect him to turn out to be this efficient, but he's gotten the job done pretty well with it. 

Dillon Gee really only had one "solid" season by traditional measurements -- in 2013 when he made 32 starts, won 12 games, and pitched to a 3.62 ERA -- but even then the metrics didn't back it up (his FIP and xFIP were both below league average).

re: Gee, he had that year period (over two seasons) where his ERA was well under 3.00 for about 30 starts or so.  I remember us all wondering how he was doing it.  I also remember you pointing to his metrics and how insanely he was outperforming them over that stretch...and how the crash and burn would be harsh.  And it was.  You weren't around much last year, but I gave you credit on that one multiple times.

Agree with the scheduling...as in I hate it too.  Complete joke.  I get having one early off-day, but 3 in four days and two in a row?  Nonsense. 

I don't have anything against FIP or xFIP...I fully get that some pitchers are going to be helped and hurt by their teams defenses.  I've brought up Gooden multiple times, who basically said in his memoir that the Mets reached the point where he had DHs all over the place when he was on the field, because they were trying to get bats in the lineup even when fielders (some of whom weren't good to begin with) would be playing out of position. 

What I don't like is the idea that only HRs, BBs, HBPs and Ks are under the pitcher's "control".  Some guys are always eminently more hittable than others, and this formula is clearly going to favor guys who don't give up a lot of walks and HRs.  I'd much rather have the guys who don't give many baserunners, period.  I never have tons of confidence in the hittable guys (to me they're like hitters who struggle against better pitchers...they're ripe to get exposed in bigger games), though some of those types find ways to be successful (Andy Pettitte comes to mind). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, there are definitely instances where using solely FIP or xFIP isn't being fair. Some pitchers ARE simply just very hittable, homer prone, or not good with runners on base and you can't always expect their BABIP (or homeruns per flyballs allowed) to regress to league average, but it's generally tough to determine those outlier cases until you have quite a few seasons of data of the pitcher. Sample applies for the reverse - Chris Young, for instance, will forever be hated by FIP/xFIP but since he's always been able to produce low BABIPs due to the type of contact he induces, he's been able to be a useful pitcher (when he's not hurt, that is). For a pitcher like that, there's enough data to support that using metrics like FIP or xFIP isn't fair.

Clayton Kershaw, scary enough, is actually underrated by FIP and xFIP as well. He routinely posts low BABIPs and low HR/FB rates. And then there are cases like Joe Blanton (when he was a starter, in recent years) where he had shiny K/BB rates but was very hittable and homer-prone. 

So yeah, there are absolutely limitations to using FIP and xFIP for everyone. It does work for mostly everyone, and in smaller samples it's still better than ERA, but there comes a time where we have enough data on certain pitchers where it becomes wiser to concede to actual results than expected results.

Edited by nmigliore

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mets/Royals have four games this year, a pair in each stadium. They couldn't make that a three game series and obviously they had to have the opener Sunday night. They probably should have had the first game of the Philly series today, two straight days off in a row is silly.

I think the Royals have to deal with the same sh!t and they don't even have travel.

With this sh!tty weather, I'm glad they didn't have a home opener today.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the Mets started the season on the road, against the team that beat them in the WS (an AL team no less) I know we have interleague play now but when you win the National League you should open up at home (preferably against a division rival)

Yes the schedule was made ahead of time...so amend it so as not to kick dirt in the Mets and their fans eyes.

Interleague should not occur on opening day either. Keep some things sacred...

Minor league seasons kicks off tonight -- opening night starters on the mound:

AAA (Las Vegas): Rafael Montero

AA (Binghamton): Robert Gsellman

A+ (St. Lucie): Josh Prevost

A (Columbia): Chase Ingram

Some notable top prospects and where they were assigned:

Brandon Nimmo, OF: AAA

Gavin Cecchini, SS: AAA

Dominic Smith, 1B: AA

Amed Rosario, SS: A+

Wuilmer Becerra, OF: A+

Luis Guillorme, SS: A+ (will play 2B unfortunately due to Rosario at same level)

Milton Ramos, SS: A

And similar insight from Jon Mayo of MLB.com: http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/170658998/where-mets-top-30-prospects-will-start-season

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, I mentioned Montero getting the Opening Day assignment for Vegas...feels like he's pitching for his MLB future now more than ever.  He already lost his first battle of this season to Verrett...didn't really even put up much of a fight.  I'm sure the Mets would love nothing more than for him to pitch well in Vegas (he's actually been pretty good there), stay healthy, and get dealt for deadline help with his trade value at its highest.     

2 hours ago, '7' said:

With this sh!tty weather, I'm glad they didn't have a home opener today.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the Mets started the season on the road, against the team that beat them in the WS (an AL team no less) I know we have interleague play now but when you win the National League you should open up at home (preferably against a division rival)

Yes the schedule was made ahead of time...so amend it so as not to kick dirt in the Mets and their fans eyes.

Interleague should not occur on opening day either. Keep some things sacred...

On a more general note I understand why 'some' East Coast/cold weather teams have to open at home every year, you don't want the Mets and Yankees going ten years between home openers and I get how hard it is to make a schedule...but when a cold weather team opens at home it should be against a division rival in case there are multiple weather postponements, it's easier to find a spot to throw in a doubleheader later.  There's no reason Boston should be going to Cleveland for their only trip in early April - or Houston coming to NY for their only trip for that matter, or that Toronto should be going to Tampa (wasting two non cold-weather teams in one shot).  The early-April interleague games should always be in warm weather locations/domes too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Solid first outing for Montero (though short):  5 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K.  Vegas wins their opener 6-4. 

Have a lot of fun today Has...stay warm! 

Nice debut for Rosario last night in St. Lucie: 3-for-5 with a homerun. The homer was a walk-off shot to the opposite-field in the bottom of the 9th.

Lugo is on the mound tonight for Vegas; really curious to see if his hot finish in AAA carries over from last season. 

Edited by nmigliore

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Solid first outing for Montero (though short):  5 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K.  Vegas wins their opener 6-4. 

Have a lot of fun today Has...stay warm! 

Thanks and no kidding about that last part. The last time I went to an April game I met nmig and I was way too underdressed lol. Won't make that mistake today particularly since I'm powering through a cold :P

29 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Thanks and no kidding about that last part. The last time I went to an April game I met nmig and I was way too underdressed lol. Won't make that mistake today particularly since I'm powering through a cold :P

I think it was 2 or 3 seasons ago where I went to like 3 games in April and hit horrible weather every time - either it was terribly freezing, insane winds, raining, or a combination of all of those... since then I've boycotted going to April games. :lol: 

With that said, have fun! Opening Day is still super exciting and the one exception I would make to going to an April game...

Edited by nmigliore

nmig just summed up every April game I've ever been to at Shea (haven't been to any at Citi...I've always gone there in the thick of summer).  I used to buy the six packs (six games, with one Yankee game) back in the day (they eventually turned into nine packs), and you'd always get stuck with at least one April date, often two.  I don't remember once having good weather at any of those April games.  And I remember going to a night game in mid-May where it had been pleasant during the day (mid 70s), so I showed up wearing shorts...brutal mistake.  I shivered the entire time I was there...temp must have low 50s, with swirling Shea winds to boot.

Curious about Lugo too...time to see what the potential next wave can do.  We may need these guys later this year.

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Nice debut for Rosario last night in St. Lucie: 3-for-5 with a homerun. The homer was a walk-off shot to the opposite-field in the bottom of the 9th.

Lugo is on the mound tonight for Vegas; really curious to see if his hot finish in AAA carries over from last season. 

Did Rosario bulk up?  I know the Mets are very high on him as their SS of the future, and that he's still very young (will be 21 in November), but his minor-league plate numbers definitely don't excite. 

All scouting reports pointed to Rosario having a projectable body, so yeah, I'm assuming he's bulked up a bit since last year. 

Here's a video of one of his exhibition homers, which was apparently a bomb based on the verbal reaction: http://www.amazinavenue.com/2016/3/31/11339340/holy-s-amed-rosario-crushes-a-baseball-out-of-sight

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

nmig just summed up every April game I've ever been to at Shea (haven't been to any at Citi...I've always gone there in the thick of summer).  I used to buy the six packs (six games, with one Yankee game) back in the day (they eventually turned into nine packs), and you'd always get stuck with at least one April date, often two.  I don't remember once having good weather at any of those April games.  And I remember going to a night game in mid-May where it had been pleasant during the day (mid 70s), so I showed up wearing shorts...brutal mistake.  I shivered the entire time I was there...temp must have low 50s, with swirling Shea winds to boot.

Curious about Lugo too...time to see what the potential next wave can do.  We may need these guys later this year.

That bitter April, early (and sometimes mid and LATE May) and September weather is why I believe the Wilpons original plans for Citi was a retractable roof. In the long run they thought it would significantly boost attendance. 

deGrom comes through with an rbi groundout. 1-0

Mets with Eickhoff on the ropes in the 2nd, but Granderson (1st pitch swinging strikes out). Wright grounds out. Still Eickhoff has thrown a ton of pitches through 2.

Edited by '7'

2 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

deGrom's down velocity from ST seems to have carried over to this first start... 

Damn. Could it be...weather related?

It could be just a new approach. Intentionally holding back and saving something for later. But perhaps I'm just grasping at straws here.

Edited by '7'