New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Everything with this team is pulling teeth now. Other than opening day at home it's been an endless grind.

At least they got the long ball going today. Colon with another solid outing. Now we just need Duda/Granderson to go deep and we can get this offense rolling a bit.

One guy who's starting to worry me is d'Arnaud, who constantly falls behind every AB and then chases awful pitches. He's starting to look like the d'Arnaud that ended up getting sent down in 2014.

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

Everything with this team is pulling teeth now. Other than opening day at home it's been an endless grind.

At least they got the long ball going today. Colon with another solid outing. Now we just need Duda/Granderson to go deep and we can get this offense rolling a bit.

One guy who's starting to worry me is d'Arnaud, who constantly falls behind every AB and then chases awful pitches. He's starting to look like the d'Arnaud that ended up getting sent down in 2014.

Yeah and he didn't hit the end of last year either although with catchers they usually don't hit at the end of a long season.

They haven't helped themselves just carrying Montero around for no apparent reason other than 'we'll use him if the game goes extra innings'.  You basically manage a man short in the pen for a few straight days and it catches up to you.  Everyone in the pen seems tired, and there was really no reason to have Reed go a second inning tonight.

It's nice that they've won two in a row, but tonight may be one of those nights where the Mets may have to lose the battle to win the war...Montero should probably pitch out of the pen and give everyone another day off.  

Of course, it would be nice if Harvey (who never quite seems to walk the walk as well as he talks the talk) turned in at least seven innings of shutdown ball.  Or at least finds a way to grind if he's getting some good run support.  

Travis better hit...he's not good enough behind the plate to be a low-stick catcher.  

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:
Apparently deGrom is fine and would have made his start Tuesday BUT:

Jacob deGrom has been placed on family medical emergency list related to the newborn.

Kind of sucks when real life reminds you that sports is just a game.

Oh no...god I hope everything is ok with his baby.  Oh man...

Harvey looking in command and carried a no hitter into the 5th...then just completely collapses. 

Down 7-1 the Mets only now start showing signs of life. Couple or long balls (7 in the past 17 2/3 innings) after 2 in 8 games. Go figure. But it may be too little too late in this one

Good to see Cespedes and Walker hitting though. Granderson too, also got the monkey off his back today

27 minutes ago, '7' said:

Harvey looking in command and carried a no hitter into the 5th...then just completely collapses. 

Down 7-1 the Mets only now start showing signs of life. Couple or long balls (7 in the past 17 2/3 innings) after 2 in 8 games. Go figure. But it may be too little too late in this one

Good to see Cespedes and Walker hitting though. Granderson too, also got the monkey off his back today

I don't get what's going on with Harvey, every outing so far it's been the same - dominant early then craps out in the middle innings.

This offense is ridiculous. The only way they score is if they hit the ball out of the park. That is no way to play baseball. I'm sorry, yes it's April, but the Nats are looking like they want to destroy this thing this year. They are a really good team.  The Mets offense is pathetic. They cause a lot of stress on their pitching and it makes those guys feel like they can't make a mistake.  They have guys who they can trade and add some verisitility to the lineup. Let's get it done. And bring in a new manager while we'reat it. Not that this is TC's fault. He was incompetent to begin with.

Have to say I'm a little worried about the Nationals. It is April...but they have taken full advantage of their cupcake early schedule and the fact that teams like Florida, Atlanta, and Philly don't exactly play them with the same ferocity they play us. I don't want to fall behind too much more than 5 or 6, again even on 4/16.

Of course their next 11 games are against Florida (x4) Philly (x3) and Minnesota (x3). Combined record. 10-22. Operation boost the Nats out of the gate courtesy of the MLB office of scheduling.

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't get what's going on with Harvey, every outing so far it's been the same - dominant early then craps out in the middle innings.

Could be a legit conditioning issue.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Jesus Terry really is spooked, 6-0 two outs to go and you bring in Reed with Familia warming on top of it? Sheesh

Well at least they finally won a series, yippee. This looked like getaway day for the Indians :P  I'm glad Matz bounced back big though.

Amateur Terry cannot handle a pitching staff...never has any regard for his pitchers' arms.  I will forever dream of the day the Mets hire a real manager...

Nice early test for Matz...more rough outings may be in store, but at least he's shown he can bounce back from them.  

Hoping the Mets can take four out of the next six (against the Phillies and Braves).  Can't say I'm full of confidence...but if Syndergaard continues to be hot (he'll pitch the first and last game of the six), they've got a good shot to pull that off.

Nice to see them take 2 of 3 on the road. Pitching matchups aren't exactly spectacular against the Phillies -- Noah tonight is exciting but Verrett vs Velasquez (who has looked incredible so far) and Colon vs Hellickson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'd obviously be very happy with 2 of 3 again. 

Hopefully the Nats can cool down a bit but they have 4 on the road against Miami and then 6 home games vs the Twins and Phillies. Miami might be decent this year but they're 3-7 out of the gate. 9 of the Nats' first 11 games played have come against the Braves and Phillies. I know the divisional games balance out in the end, but man, what a cakewalk of an opening schedule that allows them to get ahead of the pack in a hurry.

Edited by nmigliore

re:  deGrom's baby, it wouldn't surprise me if it was jaundice.  It's when the baby gets a yellowish appearance, due to having too many bilirubins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_jaundice

Sometimes the baby has to go back to the hospital for 2-3 days, where it spends time in an ultraviolet chamber (the rays help burn off the bilirubins).  We had to take our daughter back to the hospital a few days after we brought her home.  It sounds a little scary, and anytime you're a first-time parent bringing your kid back to the hospital, it's a sick feeling.  But after the time in the chamber (the babies like it...feels nice and warm), they're fine. 

22 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Nice to see them take 2 of 3 on the road. Pitching matchups aren't exactly spectacular against the Phillies -- Noah tonight is exciting but Verrett vs Velasquez (who has looked incredible so far) and Colon vs Hellickson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'd obviously be very happy with 2 of 3 again. 

Hopefully the Nats can cool down a bit but they have 4 on the road against Miami and then 6 home games vs the Twins and Phillies. Miami might be decent this year but they're 3-7 out of the gate. 9 of the Nats' first 11 games played have come against the Braves and Phillies. I know the divisional games balance out in the end, but man, what a cakewalk of an opening schedule that allows them to get ahead of the pack in a hurry.

Sadly the Mets' schedule was pretty favorable too out of the gate...six home games against the Phillies and Marlins.  The Nats cleaned up.  The Mets didn't.  I think they can recover (it's not like they started 2-9), but I get the feeling they're going to be stuck around .500 or so for a while.  Obviously if Harvey is in for a meh year, this is a MUCH different team...no one was really planning for any of the Mets starters to have a down year when healthy. 

What was the Mets approach at the dish luke yesterday? Were they more aggressive or was the same and the ball just broke well? If they had the same approach and just got different results that still doesn't give me any hope. I  was away from home yesterday and didn't get to watch the game.  I'm glad Matz bounced back.

Things were clearly going to even out...the Mets weren't going to continue putting up a .525ish OB+SLG...that's just too far below the bottom-end of sustainable bad.  The "improved" team slash line of .220/.300/.347 is at least now normalish-bad.  The O should be decent as long as they don't stick there now.  Those numbers should still be on the upswing.   

And though Washington has been terrific to date...they're pitching to an ERA of 2.06.  That staff is due for some normalization. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

At least Wright can drive himself in.  He can't seem to drive anyone else in.  Ever.

Granderson also needs to take some of the blame. Fooled by some awful splitters in the dirt. He's starting to look too much like early 2014 Granderson right now at the plate. Pretty much a total dead spot with the occasional solo HR. His pitch recognition is just horrific. He's not seeing the ball very well.

David has always raked in this park.

Just now, '7' said:

Granderson also needs to take some of the blame. Fooled by some awful splitters in the dirt. He's starting to look too much like early 2014 Granderson right now at the plate. Pretty much a total dead spot with the occasional solo HR. His pitch recognition is just horrific. He's not seeing the ball very well.

David has always raked in this park.

He might hit 10 HR's this year (if that)...seven of 'em are coming in Philly and Coors :P