New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Thank you Curtis from saving us from having to watch Wright strand those runners.  

Harvey with no command of anything right now. Doesn't help that Cespedes was playing too deep and an easy pop fly from Pierzynski dropped in after hanging in the air for seemingly 3 years. The one out to left was just totally ripped at Conforto as well.

The Mets better not be in "One big inning and we won't get a baserunner for the rest of the game" mode.

Edited by '7'

Way to go Matt.  If only you were half as tough as you'd like to believe.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Well Warthen declared Matt "fixed" so I'm curious to see if the old Harvey is back on the mound tonight. Certainly facing a AA lineup like Atlanta may help...

Koufax was a freak like Pedro from a physical standpoint both had the perfect pitchers bodies. Thin and lean with disproportionally long arms and long fingers. Their pitches had unbelievable bite to them.

Guess this goes right along with Rick Peterson's fixing Zambrano in five minutes, I guess.  Five innings, two ER and 100 pitches is not a good start by any means.  Not against the Braves.  Can't blame this one on running out of gas either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, though Harvey didn't get all of the breaks, he got a HUGE one with Cespedes' throw.  Harvey might not have made it out of the inning otherwise.  He was worse than the numbers suggested.  

Gotta wonder how long this power surge can continue...and if the Mets will be "powerless" to score runs when the HR barrage ends.

11 hours ago, capo said:

Too bad David couldn't go on th dl indefinitely like he did last year...

What's hard to believe is that he currently owns a .818 OB+SLG.  He's drawn 10 BB and has a .365 OB%.  These are numbers that we should be able to live with from the #2 hitter...but Wright just looks so damned FEEBLE up there...the Ks really don't help in that department...when someone is striking out every third plate appearance (and seemingly every time there's runners on) it just feels like that's all he does.

Man the Mets must lead the league in unproductive outs.  Sure feels like it. 

Something else that's aggravating at times are the number of 3-2 counts where it seems like damn near everyone in the lineup seems to be praying for ball four, and starts trotting down to first (only to be called out on strikes).   

At least they're winning, and at least Matz has been solid despite giving up a lot of hits (no BB).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh well, that was much more Wright-like.  No way lightning was going to strike twice in the same game.

More dingers...goddamn...

And Wright promptly goes back to being a whiff machine.  9 Ks in his last three games alone. 

3 straight series wins, deGrom and Syndergaard going the next couple of games.  Nice.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

What is that our...5th straight win at Turner? Didn't get a chance to watch the game but I believe we're on our longest winning streak ever in that house of horrors. Shame they're closing it just as we're starting to dominate there.

Say what you will about Murph tearing the cover off the ball, I'm VERY happy with Neil Walker. He seems to be a perfect fit for this lineup. Finally drew his first walk today too. d'Arnaud finally got some hits today, would be nice to see him pick up the slack a bit while Cespedes is out. Hopefully for not too long.

Anyone is going to seem like a perfect fit when he's on a home run tear.  When that stops, there's things we'll miss about Murph the hitter...he was the one decent situational hitter the Mets had.  These guys can't seem to ever get runs home (or move runners along) with productive outs.  It seems like it's either a K or a HR.  

That being said, I think Walker the FIELDER is the real gain...Murph had moments, but he never looked consistently comfortable in the field.  Walker looks and plays like a solid defensive second baseman.  

Speaking of Murph, the real eye-popping number is the slugging%...it's approaching .700, when he always in the .400s as a Met. He's even hit two triples.  Hard to see him finishing with anything much over .500.

Yikes...Familia finds a way, but he looks very ordinary this season. 

Plenty of question marks on display on this trip, but the HR barrage covered up for a lot.  A 7-2 trip, gotta take it and be happy with it.

Not real pretty at Vegas in the very early going.  Starting pitchers Ynoa and Gilmartin are off to nice starts (3 starts each), but Herrera (.609 OB+SLG) and Nimmo (.506 OB+SLG, 2 errors) most definitely aren't.  27-year-old TJ Rivera (plays 1B, 2B, and 3B...also played SS in the past) is doing what he always does in the minors:  hitting for average, but not drawing that many walks, and not hitting for much power...he has a career .319 average in the minors, but with a .366 OB% and a .419 SLG%...the latter number seems especially low for a guy hitting .319.  And he's no kid. 

Matt Reynolds (a 2014 curiosity when he suddenly started hitting in the minors) is off to a solid start, but as is always the case with PCL numbers, it's hard to get too excited about pretty good numbers.  Reynolds now has a career slash line of .292/.346/.434 with Vegas, and the best part of that sample came in 2014. 

Montero made a 4 IP start yesterday and gave up 6 H, 2 ER, and 2 BB.  Too early to make too much out of his work (or to go too crazy about anyone else, really, good or bad), but it would've been nice to see some guys do more than they have.

Righthanded AA starting pitcher Robert Gsellman has been terrific through three starts:  18.2 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 6 BB, 16 K.  Obviously puny sample stuff, but interesting because he's never been a hit suppressor or a big K guy...will be interesting to see what his hit-to-K ratio winds up being.  The only time in his minor-league career he had more Ks than hits allowed was in 2013, with the Brooklyn Cyclones.   

Also in AA, looking like Tyler Pill might just about be done being any part of the Mets' plans (he was an uber-longshot to begin with). 

The Cardinals' Matt Bowman has pitched pretty well so far, though most of his appearances have come in very low-leverage situations.  He did get a couple of appearances in tighter games though on 4/17 and 4/19, so I'm curious to see if the Cards start giving him more consistent "game on the line" chances. 

Didn't get to see much this weekend, but happy to see them take care of the Braves. If there is a team in the league you should be counting on sweeping, it would be them (and/or the Phillies).

I haven't ready any followup after his first start, but Gsellman was showing more velocity, which could explain the (much-needed) uptick in strikeouts. I don't think he'll be long for AA at this pace. Not impressed with Ynoa in AAA so far. The roof is going to cave in there very soon.

You can add Cecchini to the list of AAA prospects that isn't hitting at all, too.

Edited by nmigliore

I know Cecchini was a first-round pick back in 2012, but I'm not sure how much of a prospect he really is.  Outside of AA last season, he hasn't really hit much at any other level, and has been an error machine at short. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know Cecchini was a first-round pick back in 2012, but I'm not sure how much of a prospect he really is.  Outside of AA last season, he hasn't really hit much at any other level, and has been an error machine at short. 

I've personally never been a big fan either, but to be fair, he was ranked as our 3rd best prospect by MLB.com and 4th best by Baseball America and was quite good in AA last season as one of the youngest players in the league (and is now one of the youngest in the PCL). Despite the errors, the scouting reports make it appear as if he has enough defensive tools (good hands, above average arm) to stick at SS. The knock on him is, and has always been, that he lacks a "plus" tool and is more of a low-ceiling/high-floor prospect. I think he's more of a 2nd division starter type up the middle, but there's a good chance there is some kind of MLB player there.

Edited by nmigliore

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

I haven't ready any followup after his first start, but Gsellman was showing more velocity, which could explain the (much-needed) uptick in strikeouts. I don't think he'll be long for AA at this pace. Not impressed with Ynoa in AAA so far. The roof is going to cave in there very soon.

Re:  Ynoa, I'm assuming this is due to his high FIP (3.89), extremely low BABIP (.185), high strand rate (82.4%) and not-so-great K-to-BB ratio (9-to-7)?  Yeah, not too many numbers support this being a sustainable run...and of course, there's the PCL factor looming. 

42 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I've personally never been a big fan either, but to be fair, he was ranked as our 3rd best prospect by MLB.com and 4th best by Baseball America and was quite good in AA last season as one of the youngest players in the league (and is now one of the youngest in the PCL). Despite the errors, the scouting reports make it appear as if he has enough defensive tools (good hands, above average arm) to stick at SS. The knock on him is, and has always been, that he lacks a "plus" tool and is more of a low-ceiling/high-floor prospect. I think he's more of a 2nd division starter type up the middle, but there's a good chance there is some kind of MLB player there.

I'm guessing he sees no time as a Met...he'll probably get dealt as part of a package for a "right now" player in the next year or two.  You are right, he is on the younger side, still only 22 and won't be 23 until 12/22. 

The guy who is supposed to be the SS of the future in Amed Rosario is off to a good start in A+ ball by the way...slashing .301/.329/.521 in the early going.  He went .257/.307/.335 last season in A+.  We'll see if he can keep it up, but that's a quantum leap over what he's done in the minors with the bat through last season.

Carlos Gomez's regular season numbers (59 GP) since becoming an Astro :  59 GP, .227/.266/.343 slash, .609 OB+SLG (.471 this season), 10 BB, 50 K.  Imagine if he had been this bad in a Met uniform...

re: Ynoa - even that FIP is deflated because he's given up no homeruns; that'll change soon given the environment and the fact he's not a big groundball pitcher. Gsellman is at a lower level obviously but the uptick in velocity (again, if sustainable and not just a 1-start fluke), strikeouts, and the groundball rate (nearly 70%) are all really positive signs.

Rosario is another really young-for-his-league guy. The Mets pushed him aggressively going from Brooklyn in 2014 to high-A in 2015 at just 19 years old. That's usually the path of advanced college hitters drafted in the early rounds. I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't send him to AA to begin this season, but there was certainly no harm in sending him back to St. Lucie.

Edited by nmigliore

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Carlos Gomez's regular season numbers (59 GP) since becoming an Astro :  59 GP, .227/.266/.343 slash, .609 OB+SLG (.471 this season), 10 BB, 50 K.  Imagine if he had been this bad in a Met uniform...

Yep, there was clearly something wrong there for the Mets to back off on that deal. Gomez has been nothing short of horrible since then.

If that deal was consummated, the Mets almost certainly don't make the playoffs last season nor would have good odds this season. Speaking of which, Cespedes is out of the lineup again tonight - De Aza in CF. 

Edited by nmigliore