New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Another just awful outing for Niese yesterday (Darling has been taking some pretty clear shots at Niese, making some snide remarks at Jon's expense). 

Anyway, Niese's last three starts:  15.1 IP, 29 H, 16 ER, 9 BB, 10 K.  He's also hit two batters, and in last night's game he threw two wild pitches.  Hard to be much worse than this.  

What makes things very interesting in Pittsburgh is they have TWO highly touted SP's (Glasnow and Taillon) tearing up AAA and they're not going to wait forever before pulling the plug on guys like Niese or one of their other inconsistent starters.

re: Ron yeah I heard about his little dig about the team defense last night.  You wonder whether either Niese was hard to get along with behind the scenes for the broadcasters to take shots at him, or they just didn't like him airing dirty laundry in public.

I get the impression Darling (and Keith) didn't like a rather inconsistent and ordinary Niese taking shots at his ex-teammates publicly.  They're probably thinking "Plenty to worry about in your own game at this point, both mentally and physically...who are you to be knocking anyone?"  That made Niese look pretty bad...and now that he's sucking in a big way, he's made it very easy for many to want to pile on.  I'm not at all surprised that guys like Darling and Hernandez would rip Niese over his crap.

Niese always seemed mentally fragile. Good stuff, not great, but awful body language, sulking, just seemed like a bit of a baby on the mound. At this point he is who he is. I doubt anybody can toughen him up or change him. Not a winning player but serviceable. He's going to bounce around the majors a lot from here on in imho.

Gee got annihilated by the Nationals today as well.

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Niese always seemed mentally fragile. Good stuff, not great, but awful body language, sulking, just seemed like a bit of a baby on the mound. At this point he is who he is. I doubt anybody can toughen him up or change him. Not a winning player but serviceable. He's going to bounce around the majors a lot from here on in imho.

Oh I agree, there's no breakthroughs coming.  But bad teams always need guys to fill out their rotations, and he's a lefty, so if he stays reasonably healthy and doesn't completely suck, he could last another 5-6 years and wind up with 100-120 wins...who knows, if he pitches well one year for a bad team, maybe a contender rents him for the stretch drive.  But I think he's a bad-team ballplayer from here on out.

I'm hoping for 6-5 on this upcoming trip.  Of course better would be nice, but the Mets have won six series in a row and are 15-4 in their last 19 GP...only so much one can ask.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Would be nice to see them pull out 7 wins (3 of 4 vs Pads, split 2 with LA, and 2 of 3 from Rockies) but that may be asking for a bit too much for a west coast trip. The Padres aren't Braves-bad (nobody really is), but they're still one of the worst teams in baseball. Hoping they can beat up on them allowing more room for error vs LA and Colorado.

Edited by nmigliore

It would be nice to see the Mets not really need the series against the first Nats right off the bat...a 7-4 or better trip probably earns them that.  But those West Coast/Colorado trips can be a real bitch...anything can happen in Colorado of course. 

Rough one for Montero in El Paso last night:  7 ER, 8 H (2 2B and 2 HR) and 3 BB in 4 IP.  26 H and 8 BB in 18 IP on his young season.  More and more it just feels like it's not going to happen for him...not here, anyway.

Boras with his typical lawyerspeak on Harvey

“When you have a genius, you don’t take him out of fifth grade and graduate him from high school,” Boras said Wednesday in a telephone interview. “You may graduate him to the seventh grade. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t need time and experience to take its course.

“There’s something unknown that we’re looking at. There’s an unknown here that’s operating. We’re figuring it out as we go. I’m very confident that Matt is physically healthy and very confident that adjustments will be made.”

http://nypost.com/2016/05/04/matt-harveys-biggest-backer-admits-theres-an-unknown/

37 minutes ago, '7' said:

Boras has yet to figure out that NO ONE wants to hear what he has to say about anything.  Not to mention that Boras' unlikability has a way of sticking to Harvey as well. 

To his credit (as much as I hate to give it to him), he did say that he doesn't blame the Mets for squeezing more innings out of Harvey under the circumstances. 

And Harvey himself has said that he doesn't think last year's "extra" innings are affecting him this year...he said that he thinks his problems are mechanical. 

And idiot TC didn't have to share his opinion that 2015 might be affecting Harvey in 2016...even if you think it, saying it publicly just gives guys like Boras and others reasons to pounce and make that the narrative for why Harvey is struggling this year.  And TC abuses arms all of the time, so who the hell is he to talk about anything? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

How about Steven Matz.... since imploding in his first start, he's been ace-like. This staff is really disgusting. There is absolutely no reason not to think you're going to win on any given day. 

Harvey will figure it out. He's too good not to.

Two ER in Matz's last 27 IP, and he did have 10 days off before that first brutal start.  

I think that the Dark Knight version of Harvey is done...he'll never be 2014 or 2015 Harvey again.  We'll find out what the "new" Harvey is capable of soon enough.  

2-0 as .131 Norris and the pitcher get to deGrom

Padres just tattooing the ball all over the outfield.

Melvin "Babe Carew" Upton now laces a single.

Gary and Ron are mentioning the velocity just not being there either.

Edited by '7'

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

Just don't get no hit by this scrub...

63 pitches through 5 too...he might actually make it through 9 unlike Conley and Stripling :P

And the Padres have a pre-Johan Mets like futility in that they've never thrown a no-hitter, oh joy :lol: 

Edited by NJDevs4978

fwiw with us winning like 7 in a row at Turner...it's officially over as our longstanding house of horrors. Plus it's closing its doors next year (which is absurd and another story altogether)

But Petco, lots of strange, bizarre, bad things seem to happen here...against light hitting crap Padres teams no less. Remember that one series where we lost three straight games, all in a walkoff, all 2-1?

14-29 at Petco counting today.

Edited by '7'

Norris is like a .140 hitter who turns into Jeter against us. Have we ever gotten him out?

Career 12-25 against us. 3hrs. A regular Johnny Bench here

Edited by '7'

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Norris is like a .140 hitter who turns into Jeter against us. Have we ever gotten him out?

Career 12-25 against us. 3hrs. A regular Johnny Bench here

Considering he's 8 for his last 8 it was actually pretty good before then lol

eh whatever. At this point let the Padres have their crowning jewel franchise moment.

This Mets offense will be the most feast or famine thing we'll ever see. Literally, Matt Wisler 1 hit...8 runs twelve hours later...tonight no hit...tomorrow 12 runs...next day 2 hits.

These are extremes I haven't seen

48 minutes ago, '7' said:

eh whatever. At this point let the Padres have their crowning jewel franchise moment.

This Mets offense will be the most feast or famine thing we'll ever see. Literally, Matt Wisler 1 hit...8 runs twelve hours later...tonight no hit...tomorrow 12 runs...next day 2 hits.

These are extremes I haven't seen

How about both extremes IN THE SAME GAME? :lol:

Meh, this is why I dialed down my expectations for this trip.  As for this game, never helps to not have that full off-day to let your body adjust.  Guys were probably a little tired.  

As these arms lose some ability to throw pure heat, they're going to have to adjust.  Sucks, but not uncommon, really.  

And we've seen the offense enough to know how it rolls...it's all about HRs.  They don't seem able to put runs on the board with anything resembling small-ball.  I'm a fan of pesky contact/lower K offenses myself...it never seems to get as ugly for those type of offenses as it does for this kind.