New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol at least they got a gritty performance out of the pitching staff.  But hot damn this offense continues to make everything a freaking tooth extraction.  

Yeah, bullpen deserves a lot of credit for this one, though Terry, in typical Terry fashion, nearly got in the way yet again, leaving Robles in too long (65 pitches when TC finally woke up long enough to see that Robles was probably gassed).  All goes back to the same thing...as Art Howe knows, a upper-echelon pitching staff can make any idiot look pretty good, as far as wins and losses go.  The record can only be so bad with this starting five.   

Robles is going to be a frustrating performer for sure...like nmig said some time back, you just don't know what you're going to get from him...but he has just enough talent that you'll forever be thinking "Man, if only that guy could just put it all together consistently..."  But he won't.  And he's that guy who will hurt you when you really need him to come through.

Good to see that the Mets are at least going to bring in Gourriel for a workout.  This is the kind of thing the Mets wouldn't even bother with most seasons.  I'd rather see the Mets explore options outside of Reyes, whose cons simply outweigh the pros.  As bad of a defensive SS as Reyes now is, I could understand bringing him here if Cabrera suffered a serious injury...but that's the only scenario that makes sense to me.  I'm not displacing the rest of my infield for a guy who may have little to nothing left.  With Reyes, it should be plug-and-play or pass. 

Daniel Murphy finally showing some signs of not being other-worldly this season...he's slashing .229/.308/.443 for June.  Still has 3 HR and 12 RBI in 18 games for the month though.  Not knocking him...this is literally his first and only slump of 2016, and damn, his slumping numbers are roughly on par with Granderson's season numbers.

Phillies now a staggeringly bad 6-25 since May 20.  The offense has sucked all year (the reason they were never going to keep up their .585 winning% they managed through their first 41 games), but the pitching has now gone into the toilet as well.  The Phils have been outscored 174-95 in those 31 games.  Yikes.

Can't believe the Mets pulled that out last night. Superb job by Robles; he was above and beyond what anyone could've hoped for coming into the game like that and throwing that many pitches... speaking of which, holy crap TC is a moron for leaving him in that long. 

24 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Can't believe the Mets pulled that out last night. Superb job by Robles; he was above and beyond what anyone could've hoped for coming into the game like that and throwing that many pitches... speaking of which, holy crap TC is a moron for leaving him in that long. 

Just one of many reasons Terry is a moron.  The guy is so not qualified to be managing a relevant team.  The job he was hired to do (stopgap caretaker) is the job he's perfect for...there's clearly a place for guys like him in MLB, especially since guys do play pretty hard for him...and the fact that he managed to reinvent himself somewhat, from the guy whose players apparently grew to despise him in his previous gigs.  But why he's still here is a mystery.  He shows why he's not up to this constantly. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Losing patience with Flores very quickly.  Now 3-for-his-last-24. 

sh!t, that's probably game over. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Awful 5th for Flores may have killed us this game. Bunch of no name garbage players. Little dinker through the infield and a blast

Flores I'm ready to move on from in a starting role. He'll probably never be good everyday player. He still hasn't learned the strike zone and he's too easy to get out. It's too easy to throw him crap outside the zone on 2-0 and 3-1 and he'll swing and miss or pop up

And now just for a change of pace, the Mets are racking up the Ks. 

Man...Cabrera has really worked out so far this season.  He's been a solid hitter AND fielder. 

Cespedes hurts himself fouling a ball off (not off himself, just on a swing) but hopefully he can stay in

Duda btw still hasn't even started baseball activity. Another slow healing Met not on course for a return.

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Cespedes hurts himself fouling a ball off (not off himself, just on a swing) but hopefully he can stay in

Duda btw still hasn't even started baseball activity. Another slow healing Met not on course for a return.

Let Duda takes his time as long as Loney hits

Hard to kill Syndergaard for anything this year, but by and large this seems to be how it's been going with the starters for while...a decent enough result in the box score, but not great, and not getting the big outs when they need them. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Losing patience with Flores very quickly.  Now 3-for-his-last-24. 

sh!t, that's probably game over. 

Make that 3-for-26. 

Agree '7', looking more like that seven-game stretch was just another tease.  It's just never going to happen with him...he is what he is...a guy that simply makes too damned many outs (.289 OB%), and isn't good enough defensively to offset his plate weaknesses.  Which means he'll still be here 3 years from now, because the Mets never move on from anyone until they've gotten at least 10 chances to fail (or so it seems).

Well after today it's obvious shifting Cabrera to third to accomodate Reyes would be the dumbest thing management could do.  Reyes has got to be the one to shift positions if he wants to have a role here (and more and more it looks like the fix is in on that score with fans vociferiously approving of bringing Reyes back, and Flores conveniently slumping giving Reyes a spot in the lineup).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Familia's last 11 games:  10.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB (all came in one appearance...didn't allow any of them to score), 13 K.  Also 8-for-8 in save opps.  His season numbers are starting to resemble last year's. 

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well after today it's obvious shifting Cabrera to third to accomodate Reyes would be the dumbest thing management could do.  Reyes has got to be the one to shift positions if he wants to have a role here (and more and more it looks like the fix is in on that score with fans vociferiously approving of bringing Reyes back).

Only the Reyes fanboys think he should come back and suddenly everything has to be messed with to accommodate HIM.  I agree, if Reyes comes back here (and I'm starting to think it's actually going to happen), fvck him.  YOU move Jose.  It might have been all about you when you were here in your prime, but it sure isn't now. 

Nice wins against the defending champs.  Now go win the damned series against the Braves! 

And they'd already had some super-secret exam of Thor's elbow a few weeks back too.  Granted I kind of think it is a ticking time bomb regardless, no human being throws 90+ sliders without it affecting them.

But yeah you do have to wonder not only about the number of injuries but also the franchise's injury management itself.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man...Cabrera has really worked out so far this season.  He's been a solid hitter AND fielder. 

Agreed. The defensive metrics seem to routinely hate him, but he easily passes the eye test of a good fielder. He's incredibly slick. 

sh!tty news about Thor... hopefully it's nothing serious or else this season is pretty easily over.

Edited by nmigliore

34 minutes ago, '7' said:

It never ends. All trainers need to be gone at years end and our relationship with the New York Hospital for Incompetent Quackery needs to end.

Agree.  Sometimes you just gotta change things up, just because.  

And no Has, we are not allowed to have nice things.  

I subscribe to the "If there's smoke, there's fire" mantra. This is twice already for Thors elbow this year. Something's up. Maybe we dodged a bullet now but I feel there is some sort of time bomb in there that's close. I would just sit him down next start, yes even against the Nats, and hope whatever is barking in there settles down.

Cespedes is getting a cortisone shot and may be out a few games which spells curtains for our offense. Let's hope our recent conquering of the Turner Field ghosts holds up (7 wins in a row there). I can swallow a loss to Teheran...the other 3 guys we're facing are the atrocious Wisler/Blair/Bud Norris. We have to beat these guys. Going into Washington I want to be 41-33.

Edited by '7'