New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Every now and then, a guy like Zubrus has a four-goal game, or a meh pitcher throws a no-hitter.  Great day for Flores...one he can always remember fondly.  Not fooled by it at all.  

Great sweep, glad to see them recover.  Suddenly the 7-6 record that  I was hoping for leading into the ASB is again in play.  But can't keep losing to the Nats.

And just like that...we're halfway through the 2016 season.  On pace for 88 wins.  I had them at 90, and I still think they get there.  

fvcking Mediocre Matt.  A friggin' 43-year-old is outpitching you, you friggin' diva.

lol yeah Terry, tell me more about Matt's 3.2 great innings in Washington where he gave up seven baserunners.  Funny thing is he usually dies in the middle innings anyway so I didn't buy that nonsense for one second.  Today he just decided to crap out earlier.

On his way to his ELEVENTH loss of the season.  Right now Harvey reminds me of Rick Vaughn in Major League 2, all full of himself and losing his stuff.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Terrible job by Harvey, and yea the Marlins are a good hitting team average wise but you're also Matt Harvey. But another all hat no cattle performance. And while there is still plenty of game left, this O cannot go into the tank against the below average Koehler.

If we lose it will make it 6 straight losses in the division. Unacceptable. Thankfully the Nats lost today as well.

If (big if) Wheeler is ready to go by August...how does anyone other than Harvey lose his spot in the rotation?  

The Ricky Vaughn comparison is spot on Has.  I am so tired of Harvey's act.  Can't wait to hear more post-game mumbling...assuming he sticks around.  

Travis finally ties Bartolo Colon in home runs.

The interesting thing is the broadcast said he went back to his old swing.  Why on earth would he change his swing?  This is one instance where it seems like hitting coaches try to do too much just for the sake of doing something.  Same with Conforto and making him an extreme pull hitter.

And yeah I can't wait to see the media prod the Mets over who comes out of the rotation in August if Wheeler ever makes it back with Colon still pitching to an ERA of 3 and Harvey still pitching to an ERA of 5.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wilmer gets it done. Tie game. Was almost certain he'd K there.

Not sure if they can win this thing but...very impressed they can all the way back to make it 6-6 without hitting 6 solo home runs.

Man is this Marlins pitcher a nibbler

Man that's a rough one. Don't have the sound on but...I dont think that was a trap. The ball touched the ground but he also had full control of it

Am I mixing up NFL and MLB rules ;-p Damn wish I could hear what the announcers are saying.

And of course this is taking forever. Ridiculous. And now he's out...I can't disagree but I also can't say 100% that's not a trap. I can say 90%...but if it's 90% then the safe fall must stand.

I dont get any of this anymore.

Edited by '7'

Tough sh!t Marlins Man!

GREAT win. Despite the Harvey implosion they battled back and made it 5 in a row. Enormous hit by Cespedes. The Mets worked great at bats all day.

4 out now. This team is really hitting on all cylinders now.

Leave Reyes there. Things are working just fine without him.

Even when it got to 6-4 I thought it was gonna be one of those teases that came up just short but give the other 24 guys on the team tremendous credit.

Could they actually leave Reyes in the minors?  I think he signed a minor league deal but wouldn't they have to put him through waivers at a certain point to keep him there?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Re:  when it got to 6-4, it was actually the opposite for me Has...that's when I was thinking "Damn, they're actually going to pull this off!"  

Harvey basically admitted he had no clue why he's struggling.  About time for Warthen to show that he's more than just a guy who happens to be along for the ride.  Sometimes the pitching coach needs to be able to find a way to right one of his arms.  Harvey still has his velocity...even if he's not going to be the Dark Knight this season, at least get him to the point where he's capable of keeping his team in ballgames.  

Nice to see Travis hitting again (even if it's not with much power so far), but I don't think any of us thought he wasn't going to start hitting in time.  The bigger questions (can he stay on the damned field and can he ever be a decent defensive catcher) are the ones we keep getting the wrong answers to.  But suffice it to say we'll have to live with his warts...Plaw can't hit major-league pitching with any consistency, and Rivera is nothing more than a backup.  Would still love to see some kind of d'Arnaud-and-others package for Lucroy, but Milwaukee can probably do better than that.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would still love to see some kind of d'Arnaud-and-others package for Lucroy, but Milwaukee can probably do better than that.  

It'll be interesting to see Lucroy's suitors. The Red Sox might make the most sense of all contenders but they may choose to prioritize pitching since their rotation is a mess. I could see the Rangers having interest. 

Nice to see the Mets make a shocking run here after the National Disaster. Final 6 games before the break are still really big.

The nostalgic side of me is giddy to see Reyes make his return. Will be interesting to see how they fit him in, especially with Flores on fire all of a sudden.

Tonight and tomorrow will be a referendum on how real the Marlins are. Mets have won 5 in a row, they're confident, flying, making their move, Reyes back etc. Marlins came in still fairly close to us in the standings, went up 6-0 and then crumbled. We're hitting and facing 2 sh!tty pitchers (the Marlins major weakness, their staff outside of Fernandez) I would be very impressed with them if Florida finds a way to win the next two...but if the Mets happen to win the next two and send Florida packing at 4.5 behind them then we can probably safely say the fish aren't ready yet to play with the contenders.

Also fwiw Reyes shouldn't have been able to waltz back into his #7. Unless d'Arnaud gave it back without being asked, Jose should've just picked another number (77?) As far as I'm concerned d'Arnaud...who isn't even one of my favorites on this team...but that's his number. I just hope Jose realizes this isn't about him, he's a cog in the machine now, it's not about dancing, handshakes or any of that cocky stuff that got the 05-08 crew to be reviled around the league. Keep your head down, play hard, and grow up.

Edited by '7'

Reyes wasn't hitting minor-league arms, so why should he light it up in his 2016 Mets debut? 

It's just one game, but the one thing I find annoying about this is that the Mets actually had a little something going offensively after having a LOT of trouble scoring...but for some reason it's "We just HAVE to get Reyes in here as soon as possible...the hell with everything else, it's all about Jose fvcking Reyes."  Reyes can fvcking wait...at least let the team cool off before screwing with the mojo.  

At least the Nats lost again.