New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Doubleheader today...bleech.  I'm guessing the Mets lose both games today, then manage to win tomorrow's game and possibly the next one.  Not awful but just not enough.  

Do these starters ever not labor anymore?  Seems like easy innings and outings are not nearly as easy to come by as they should be for these guys.  

Miraculous that Noah made it though six today.  Still a frustrating outing though.  

This team isnt any good. They desperately need offense, waiting around for guys to turn it around because the math says they should is totally inapplicable when the player is in a Mets uniform

They will no doubt get swept in this DH. 

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

This team isnt any good. They desperately need offense, waiting around for guys to turn it around because the math says they should is totally inapplicable when the player is in a Mets uniform

They will no doubt get swept in this DH. 

Reminds me of how the Devils couldn't POSSIBLY be this bad offensively, all the advanced stats said they should have scored a lot more goals from 2013-14 but they confounded Fenwick and Corsi over and over again lol.  I keep thinking eventually they have to get some hits in the clutch but this is the most unclutch team imaginable.  It's one thing to say over a seven-game series small size sample but this is an entire season.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

So done with these clowns. How is Asdrubel Cabrera even hitting .260. That's probably the lightest .260 in the history of baseball.

He did start fairly well but has sagged like everyone else.  At least he finally got off the RISP schneid with his one monthly RISP hit.

The one thing that sabes can't ever measure is brain matter.  Sabes guys tend to treat players as emotionless Vulcanized robots.  But with this team and its very well-known follies in the clutch...it's impossible to think that these guys aren't pressing big-time when they're coming up to bat with runners on.  They've gotta be gripping those bats pretty tightly at this point.  They're just SO bad at it.  

Of course the Mets don't even get a productive out that inning.  What does Kevin Long do exactly?

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course the Mets don't even get a productive out that inning.  What does Kevin Long do exactly?

I know it was Colon, but I cant even recall our last bases loaded hit. This team is still scary unclutch in every which way shape or form.

I was 50/50 on Colon taking that AB, but it turned out to be a good call. Colon had a low pitch count and promptly went out and mowed the Cards down in the 7th. Now we can just hand it to Reed and Familia.

At least they got a split in the doubleheader and the Nats blew another late lead.  They're getting more and more ripping for having five untouchable prospects and not making a move for Chapman but that's no surprise considering how arrogant that organization is, they always think they have next year.  

Sucks that now Reyes has an intercostal strain just when he was getting going.  I guess NOW we'll see more of Flores after he's cooled off :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

57 minutes ago, '7' said:

I know it was Colon, but I cant even recall our last bases loaded hit. This team is still scary unclutch in every which way shape or form.

I was 50/50 on Colon taking that AB, but it turned out to be a good call. Colon had a low pitch count and promptly went out and mowed the Cards down in the 7th. Now we can just hand it to Reed and Familia.

Honestly they might as well have PH for him if their plan was to pitch him on short rest Saturday (which they are)...but it worked out for now.

Reyes, for the most part, hasn't really delivered.  It's really hard to get excited about a .239 BA and .278 OB% from your leadoff guy...and like we've seen, it's not like his presence here is really making much of a difference when it comes to wins and losses.  It's not like he was really starting to hit either...in his last three games, he was 3-for-15 with 0 BB (and he's not like late-career Rickey Henderson, who still got on base despite declining BAs.  Reyes was never better than pretty good at drawing walks, and now he doesn't draw nearly enough of them).  

Reyes has had some loud hits, but that's about it.  Outside of the three (solo) HRs, he's been about what I've expected him to be.  Right down to this latest injury.  

Reed has obviously been awesome for much of this season (0.85 WHIP) and Familia has managed to keep baserunners from hurting him despite several high-wife acts, but one thing that has really helped both pitchers is the fact that they don't allow home runs.  Reed has only given up 3 this year, and Familia has yet to give up any, in almost 100 IP combined.  Impressive...just hope it doesn't start to go the other way.  Worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Really wish Verrett wasn't starting today. The Cards can hit home runs...and Logan can give 'em up too. We'll actually have to outslug them to beat them today

Reyes at this point is best used as a 3b, SS, 2b super sub. I still think we need to land Yunel Escobar at the deadline...or Lucroy (would want both, but that ain't happening...heck either may not happen)

Yeah, this is pretty much a loss already in my book. Verrett actually has reverse platoon splits - righties have pounded him to a .265/.371/.523 slash line this year. The Cards, meanwhile, have the 3rd highest OPS vs RHP in baseball. It may get ugly tonight and it's hard to imagine the Mets keeping pacing against Wainwright, whose been great after a slow start.

Edited by nmigliore

Holliday doubles in 2 runs with two outs...right after d'Arnaud kills another rally with a DP. Now 3-1 Cards after another double. Verrett started this inning by walking Wainwright because Verrett is terrible.

d'Arnaud is crap I want him gone. Unclutch DP machine.

Edited by '7'