New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

And the Mets crap the bed in the 4th. 1st and 2nd 1 out. Flores desperately tries to hit into a DP with a meek grounder to 3rd, but after tagging the bag Gyorko makes a weak throw to 1st and Adams can't make the scoop. No-matter, Conforto puts himself in a 0-2 hole and promptly K's. 

This offense is DISGUSTINGLY bad. They are meek, pathetic, and need a total overhaul.

Edited by '7'

Only thing Conforto has shown me since returning is that he's an unclutch choke artist with men on base like EVERY OTHER PERSON in this lineup

1st and 2nd 1 out in the 6th.

Flores flies out, Conforto taps out to 1st. And the unprecedented historically awful RISP 2016 Mets continue to stumble on. This is totally unwatchable. 

It is PATHETIC that Neil Walker and Cabrera have 74 rbi COMBINED. Daniel Murphy has 75!!!

Edited by '7'

This team is a broken record '7'.  And in Sandy Era tradition, you just KNOW many of these dipsh!ts will be back here next year.  

Gotta give him credit...he's continued to be a special player as a Met.  

Gotta give credit to Verrett too.  No, he's not a guy you have confidence in long-term.  But he's done a nice job in his last three starts.

It's time to go all freaking in! There's no point in saving any prospect  on this team including Conforto. Make a big deal and get Lucroy and Braun. Whatever it takes save Syndergaard and deGrom. I'd even trade deGrom if I got an equal pitcher. If the Mets don't go big now they miss their window.  The window is now. 

You make no sense with the deGrom crap capo...he's inexpensive right now and still relatively young.  Also under team control for a while.  Why should the Mets move him?

Mets aren't going after Braun...he's making way too much money for potential decline years, and his being here would mean no Cespedes for sure.  I'd love to see them get Lucroy though.  

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Can't say this shocks me...it was only a matter of when Familia finally blew one with all the times he put himself on the tightwire.  Freaking figures it would be Yadier Molina.  

Yeah, if anything it's kind of a surprise that it took this long.  He's enjoyed some serious luck at times this season.  

And now the kick to the balls for good measure.  Same old Mets.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

29 minutes ago, capo said:

It's time to go all freaking in! There's no point in saving any prospect  on this team including Conforto. Make a big deal and get Lucroy and Braun. Whatever it takes save Syndergaard and deGrom. I'd even trade deGrom if I got an equal pitcher. If the Mets don't go big now they miss their window.  The window is now. 

Trading Conforto's too reckless, they wouldn't have a single starting OF'er on the roster after next year (Lagares really isn't a starter and I'm not a huge believer in Nimmo or anyone else in the system).  How are you going to get an equal pitcher for deGrom?  Trading him for Chris Sale just adds $10 million to the payroll needlessly for a guy that's a bit of a loose cannon, and what other big pitcher's on the market?

The big debate to me is Rosario.  You can argue trading any prospect in the system plus Wheeler, Rosario's the only one I'd hold my breath a little giving up.  I've cooled on Dilson a little but I don't see them giving him up the year after he was the reason they didn't sign Murphy.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well it was bound to happen eventually, and it happened. Familia has been walking the tightrope for MONTHS seemingly. This would've been such a nice win too.

You still cannot walk Jedd Gyorko on 4 pitches. Familia loses the strike zone far too often and out of nowhere.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Trading Conforto's too reckless, they wouldn't have a single starting OF'er on the roster after next year (Lagares really isn't a starter and I'm not a huge believer in Nimmo or anyone else in the system).  How are you going to get an equal pitcher for deGrom?  Trading him for Chris Sale just adds $10 million to the payroll needlessly for a guy that's a bit of a loose cannon, and what other big pitcher's on the market?

The big debate to me is Rosario.  You can argue trading any prospect in the system plus Wheeler, Rosario's the only one I'd hold my breath a little giving up.

capo usually doesn't think this stuff through.  Sometimes sounds like a WFAN caller with some of these ideas.

Agree, Rosario is the big "Should we or shouldn't we?" piece.  If he goes in any deal for Lucroy, it suddenly feels like a very small window, unless the Mets radically change the way they do business (translation:  stop thinking like a smaller-market franchise).  I don't see it.

I don't think anybody thought the Mets would take 2 of 3 from St. Louis, but today was crushing. No escape act to be had.

Rockies are up next, they're not very good, but they've been playing quite well of late. We still need to take 3 of 4 heading into the Yankees series, and hopefully get the bats going (and maybe acquire one while we're at it)

This team desperately needs some sort of spark in their lineup. It's not even a bad lineup talent wise when you look up and down it, trouble is EVERYONE aside from Cespedes is under-performing and are showing no signs of ever being capable of reaching their career averages.

Edited by '7'

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

capo usually doesn't think this stuff through.  Sometimes sounds like a WFAN caller with some of these ideas.

Agree, Rosario is the big "Should we or shouldn't we?" piece.  If he goes in any deal for Lucroy, it suddenly feels like a very small window, unless the Mets radically change the way they do business (translation:  stop thinking like a smaller-market franchise).  I don't see it.

It's probably a small window anyway with Cespedes gone after this year, this offense is bad enough with him.  And who knows how long the pitchers hold up.

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Well it was bound to happen eventually, and it happened. Familia has been walking the tightrope for MONTHS seemingly. This would've been such a nice win too.

You still cannot walk Jedd Gyorko on 4 pitches. Familia loses the strike zone far too often and out of nowhere.

The funny thing is, now that he finally blew a save, don't be surprised if some fans start championing Reed and Familia to switch roles.  You know that will come up.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Familia muff a few now...not in a row, but I think things are going to even out a little.  Sucks mostly because this team has so little margin for error.  And can't keep spinning its wheels the way they do.  This loss stings.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing is, now that he finally blew a save, don't be surprised if some fans start championing Reed and Familia to switch roles.  You know that will come up.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Familia muff a few now...not in a row, but I think things are going to even out a little.  Sucks mostly because this team has so little margin for error.  And can't keep spinning its wheels the way they do.  This loss stings.

Familia usually does have a bad week or two during the season where it falls apart a la right before the trade deadline last year (ironically enough).  The weekend against the Dodgers earlier this year was one even though he didn't get a 'blown save' in either game, this is probably going to be another.

'7' is right about Familia's walks...this is becoming disconcerting.  They've got to get that under control, literally.  Lack of blown saves aside, he is clearly not as effective as he was last season.  

You really wouldn't trade Conforto to add legitimacy to this lineup right now? I'm not usually a sell the farm type bit this team doesn't have anyone that is a can't miss. Just to get an idea to way I look at an evaluate my teams is by what they can give me today and in the future. For instance,  with the  Devils I was on the sell high on Schneider because I thought the Devils were a lot further away than they seem to be now with the big move last year and now with the Hall deal. They're a well coached team and their new window is around  the corner. With the trades Shero has made I wonder is it Schneider's team or Blackwood's.  With the Mets it's a completely different story, all of the pitchers have graduated. Injuries and fatigue have slown them down but in a short series I take my chances with arms. So, we need some sticks to get us over the top. I think we've gotten a good look at Conforto. I don't see the huge difference maker there. I know he's young and has a lot more time but he's not a superstar player. Does help the team as player in this window or a chIP to bring in a player? I'm  not sure, but because I think we have a very small window given our lack of depth in the system I'd definitely move TdA and Conforto for Braun and Lucroy.  And if sending  deGrom in a package somewhere gets a steal for something say an Archer and Longoria I'd do that too.

As far as Conforto and d'Arnaud go for Braun and Lucroy...if the Mets were willing to up their payroll by $20 million or so, yeah, they'd do that.  But why does that make any sense for the Brewers?  d'Arnaud is a poor defensive catcher who's been an inconsistent hitter so far and a constant injury risk, and Conforto has regressed significantly.  The Mets would probably have to also give them Rosario and possibly someone else (maybe Verrett).  And even that might not get it done.

Depends on where Milwaukee thinks their window is and if saving money and bringing in mlb level prospects is what they want. If the Mets aren't willing to spend the money than this all for not anyway and we should all just give up. Because as we've seen time and again if you don't score you don't win and runs cost dollars. 

The problem is we still have no idea how much money they've really got.  I'm no fan of the Wilpons (I definitely haven't made that a secret), but I think even they know putting a little more money into the on-field product will likely pay off.  But do they have it? 

You know (or should know) how it works with cost-conscious teams...you need to develop your own players and keep them coming through your system, so replacements are available as guys become too expensive (at which time they're allowed to walk or moved for replenishment prospects).  You also have to hit on your bargain/non-sexy signings.  We know the drill:  Sandy's farm isn't producing hitters (part of the reason too many players seems to get absurdly long leashes here), and his bargain signings have often been disasters.  So yeah, you can then make the argument that the payroll needs to accommodate a costly guy who should at least be almost guaranteed to produce...but that goes back to the original point:  is the money actually there?

I've detailed it in several posts throughout this season, but this has not been a good season for several Met prospects and young players, which really hurts.  Montero is basically now at Ground Zero and and starting over.  Conforto's sophomore season couldn't be going worse.  Herrera has not been as good in 2016 in AAA as he was last season, and for the PCL, he has not been terribly good this year.  Same old sh!t with d'Arnaud, who should be a pretty good bat when he's on, but has never gotten better behind the plate and remains injury-prone.  Wilmer is Wilmer...just hard to believe in long-term, and not a good fielder no matter where he plays.  And even with Nimmo raking in the PCL, no one seems to think he'll be anything more than a fringe starter/4th outfielder, so there's only so much a package centered around him will bring back.

This all being said, I'm not sure the Mets have anything the Brewers really want, unless Sandy was somehow willing to overwhelm them with a lot of bodies (say 4+ players), and even then, the Brew probably say "Great, but all talks start and end with Rosario."  The Mets just don't have enough prospects and young talented position players to make big splashes without giving up the few players they actually covet.  Look, you can make the argument that Rosario helps the 2018 Mets at the earliest, and that the 2016 Mets need to think about right now...especially with the starting pitching that the team is built around being both a bit fragile AND a little overrated.  Even though they're young, their window is not the several years many project.  

I would really try to hang on to Rosario myself...but like Fulmer last season, Sandy is going to have to give to get.  Would've been nice if a lot more Mets prospects were having big years, but they didn't.  Get the feeling Sandy's not going to do much at this deadline.  

Familia was bound to blow one, especially with how frequently he's walked batters over the past couple of months. I'm not too worried since June-July only represents a 23 inning sample and Familia is still striking hitters out a high rate (26.7 K% since May) and has been elite with keeping the ball on the ground and in the yard (62.2 GB% and 0 HR allowed in 2016).

The only problems I have with adding Lucroy are a) you're certainly giving up Rosario in any deal and b) the Mets' best hope for 2016 is very likely the wild card game, where they'll probably draw Clayton Kershaw or Jose Fernandez, and which they currently sit 1.5 GB.

I'm also probably higher on d'Arnaud than most. This is what the projection systems see for d'Arnaud and Lucroy ROS:

Lucroy ZiPS: 107 wRC+, +1.2 WAR

d'Arnaud ZiPS: 99 wRC+, +0.6 WAR 

Lucroy Steamer: 103 wRC+, +1.2 WAR

d'Arnaud Steamer: 105 wRC+, +0.8 WAR

I'd take the over on those Lucroy projections frankly, but I'm still a believer in d'Arnaud. To me, the biggest selling point of Lucroy is that he's under contract for 2017, so if things go south this year, you can always gear up for next year or, if things go south in 2017 too, recoup some kind of value via a deadline trade or a qualifying offer.

If the Mets were blessed with better health this year and were in the Nats' current position in the standings, I bet Sandy would be pretty aggressive in going after Lucroy.

Edited by nmigliore

The hell are they starting this series with an afternoon game? Huh. And the lineup is sh!t, no Cespedes, quad flared up again. De Aza in.

I'm not too keen on this team doing anything except sitting around and waiting for Duda, Wheeler, and maybe Henderson. We are too far out of the division and don't score enough runs. The Wild Card is definitely in play but I still have very little faith in this team doing anything except puttering around at .500 ball for the rest of the season. So gun to my head...I stand pat this deadline. If we sh!t the bed vs. the Rockies then I'll be inclined to sell.

The trouble with d'Arnaud is his propensity for getting injured. I don't think he'll ever be healthy enough to give us a solid 125 games behind the plate in any year. I don't like his throwing, I don't think he calls a good game, and I don't thing he gets when he has to go out and settle a pitcher down and such. 

Lucroy would have the best OBP on the club next to Cespedes. He's a legit .300 hitter. We really can't underestimate what a shot in the arm it would be to the middle of our lineup to have Lucroy in their instead of d'Arnaud.

I'm going to get on my Yunel Escobar bandwagon again. As a pure hitter is is very underrated. TRADE FOR THIS GUY. Stick him at 3b, and relegate Reyes to super-sub. Reyes is .239 with a .278 obp. He's not the answer...he's not the guy you want to roll with at 3rd through August and September if you want to make a run at things.

Edited by '7'

Terry Collins is not confident Jose Reyes will be able to return to the lineup on Friday, which had been the... http://es.pn/2ah7YBo 

Terry Collins says the day off for Yoenis Cespedes is more than a prudent day off. The balky right quadriceps muscle has flared up. "My leg's pretty sore tonight," Cespedes told Collins late Wednesday. Collins said it's possible Cespedes' absence could last beyond one day