New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

4 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Marlins traded for Colin Rea and Andrew Cashner. There's a bit of upside with Cashner, and they needed the rotation help with Chen going to the DL, but by and large I can't see this moving the needle much for them. They gave up their 2nd best prospect (who also ranked #100 overall in Baseball America's midseason update) plus at least one player from their big league roster and maybe some additional parts. Seems like quite a steep price for two pitchers who have been close to replacement level this year.

What exactly is there fascination with Rea? Isn't he pretty much a walks machine

Cashner went through a stretch where he literally couldn't strike anybody out for like 2 months (was also hurt), but he's starting to K guys again. Overall he hasn't been good in about a 1 1/2. He's not exactly a kid either. 3 of his last 5 starts have been promising so maybe they're banking on him reverting back to 2013/2014 form. He's still a wild card. I don't think the Fish made themselves any better here.

Jay Bruce is legit. If we can land him we land him and they can have Rosario and more. 

If we can ever field a lineup this year that has Bruce-Cespedes-Duda. That can get very scary if some guys get on base ahead of them.

I'm starting to get my hopes up again. I'd better see Lucroy or Bruce in a Mets uniform soon :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

They were hot on Jay Bruce last year too. 

5tcmrdbaddfsxq7pt6uq_bigger.pngBuster Olney 

@Buster_ESPN

Among the teams that have expressed interest in Jay Bruce: The New York Mets. Offense needed now, and '17 coverage if Cespedes opts out.

Sandy should take a good look at Bruce's 2014 and 2015 seasons: 

2014:  .217/.281/.373

2015:  .226/.294/.434

And that was "accomplished" with a lot of games being played in Great American Bandbox.

But low average, very high-K guys with some power (and remember where Bruce plays his home games) seem to be Sandy's cup of tea. 

To be fair, Bruce IS having a career-year, for whatever that's worth (.895 OB+SLG this season, .791 OB+SLG for his career), and he's only signed through next season if his option is picked up, so it's not like he's on a terrible or expensive deal.  And he'll be playing for a contract in 2017 if the Mets keep him. 

It all depends on the asking price.  I really don't want Rosario to be a part of this deal.  Big difference between Great American and CitiField.  I guess you can pray Bruce can be Cespedes 2.0...a guy who suddenly kicks it into a higher level as a Met.  But this is the kind of player the Mets will look into...like Lucroy, he's not expensive and not signed long-term.

34 minutes ago, '7' said:

Jay Bruce is legit. If we can land him we land him and they can have Rosario and more. 

If we can ever field a lineup this year that has Bruce-Cespedes-Duda. That can get very scary if some guys get on base ahead of them.

I'm starting to get my hopes up again. I'd better see Lucroy or Bruce in a Mets uniform soon :rolleyes:

Bleech on Duda.  Not saying Loney is perfect, but I'll take his bat and overall skillset over Doofus'.  I don't need to see better arms make Duda look like an overwhelmed rookie.  Which is exactly what will happen.  I'm so done with him and his random (usually garbage-time or against bad pitching) HRs. 

One thing is for sure:  if Sandy actually cleaned out the farm and wound up with both Lucroy AND Bruce (and they both continued their 2016 form), and managed to keep Cespedes...that's a hell of a team for the rest of 2016 and 2017 (provided that the injury bee that can't wait to sting the Mets at seemingly every opportunity doesn't show up).  But unless this team drafts some ready-made college talent, it could really get ugly in 2018 and beyond.  I can't see Sandy wanting the window to be THAT small.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sandy should take a good look at Bruce's 2014 and 2015 seasons: 

2014:  .217/.281/.373

2015:  .226/.294/.434

And that was "accomplished" with a lot of games being played in Great American Bandbox.

But low average, very high-K guys with some power (and remember where Bruce plays his home games) seem to be Sandy's cup of tea. 

To be fair, Bruce IS having a career-year, for whatever that's worth (.895 OB+SLG this season, .791 OB+SLG for his career), and he's only signed through next season if his option is picked up, so it's not like he's on a terrible or expensive deal.  And he'll be playing for a contract in 2017 if the Mets keep him. 

It all depends on the asking price.  I really don't want Rosario to be a part of this deal.  Big difference between Great American and CitiField.  I guess you can pray Bruce can be Cespedes 2.0...a guy who suddenly kicks it into a higher level as a Met.  But this is the kind of player the Mets will look into...like Lucroy, he's not expensive and not signed long-term.

While I share your skepticism on Bruce on balance, his power I think does translate.  Some guys have their power numbers artificially inflated and some guys can hit it out of Yellowstone, Bruce comes off as the latter.  My bigger problem is getting ANOTHER corner OF'er doesn't solve what we do with Conforto/Cespedes/Granderson.  You have to replace one to bring in Bruce AND play one of them in CF cause Bruce sure ain't doing that.

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bleech on Duda.  Not saying Loney is perfect, but I'll take his bat and overall skillset over Doofus'.  I don't need to see better arms make Duda look like an overwhelmed rookie.  Which is exactly what will happen.  I'm so done with him and his random (usually garbage-time or against bad pitching) HRs. 

One thing is for sure:  if Sandy actually cleaned out the farm and wound up with both Lucroy AND Bruce (and they both continued their 2016 form), and managed to keep Cespedes...that's a hell of a team for the rest of 2016 and 2017 (provided that the injury bee that can't wait to sting the Mets at seemingly every opportunity doesn't show up).  But unless this team drafts some ready-made college talent, it could really get ugly in 2018 and beyond.  I can't see Sandy wanting the window to be THAT small.     

I don't disagree but let's bear in mind Sandy himself is 68 (and his current manager's 67), it wouldn't shock me if Sandy didn't care about 2018.  But it also wouldn't shock me if he did the prudent thing and didn't completely go all-in again.  Last year when they went all-in it was with expendable pieces.  To do it this year means getting rid of non-expendable pieces like Conforto and Rosario, maybe Wheeler.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

While I share your skepticism on Bruce on balance, his power I think does translate.  Some guys have their power numbers artificially inflated and some guys can hit it out of Yellowstone, Bruce comes off as the latter.  My bigger problem is getting ANOTHER corner OF'er doesn't solve what we do with Conforto/Cespedes/Granderson.  You have to replace one to bring in Bruce AND play one of them in CF cause Bruce sure ain't doing that.

I'm guessing Conforto might be part of a deal for Bruce.  That one could obviously hurt if Conforto bounces back and becomes a good player for years to come, but he ain't helping in 2016.  He's just a mess this season.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't disagree but let's bear in mind Sandy himself is 68 (and his current manager's 67), it wouldn't shock me if Sandy didn't care about 2018.  But it also wouldn't shock me if he did the prudent thing and didn't completely go all-in again.  Last year when they went all-in it was with expendable pieces.  To do it this year means getting rid of non-expendable pieces like Conforto and Rosario, maybe Wheeler.

Hard to say with Sandy...what makes these two players interesting is that they're just what the doctor ordered, as far as financial implications go...they could both be off the payroll by the start of the 2018 season...really THE one factor that makes both of them a remote possibly, as opposed to a "No way, will never ever happen" scenario.  It would be truly mind-blowing if he actually blew out the farm to bring in two players who should improve the team immediately...I just think that goes against his sensibilities just enough where it wouldn't feel "right" to him.  I don't truly believe he'll go that far...I think he gets just one of those guys, if any.  Even if he doesn't care much about 2018 (and in ways I don't blame him if he doesn't...after the World Series appearance last season, I think he knows that, even if he IS prudent, a lot of Met fans are going to get pissed off if a big move that helps the team right now isn't made...after all of the 70-79 win seasons, patience is thin...a lot of fans don't care about 2018, especially with none of these arms to be guaranteed to still be what they are right now). 

Bruce's WAR is basically 0 (aka replacement level) over the last three seasons combined. In two of those seasons he sucked at hitting and in all three he's been a horrendous defender. The projection systems also aren't really buying the sudden bounceback at the plate - they forecast him to be only slightly above average at the plate ROS. The Mets can probably get that kind of offense (or better) out of Conforto with much better defense.

I know folks may not believe much in the defense metrics, but really, the last thing this team needs is another plodding outfielder to slot in somewhere between Granderson and Cespedes.

With Gordon coming back I like the Cashner deal for the Fish. I think Archer could be a guy that helps a playoff contender in a big way, too.  After the last two tough losses the Mets look done. But, this was also the case at this time last year.  Except the pitching was healthier a year ago. I'm not high on Bruce for what it would cost in players to get another Granderson type even though he's been good this year. The Marlins are looking like they got a real shot at this thing by scrapping it out and then having Stanton (whos heating up) with the big bop. They actually scare me now and I don't think they are done making moves.

I don't know WHAT the Marlins have left to make moves with.  They traded their supposed top prospect and a young fireballing reliever (Capps) coming off TJ in this deal for two middling SP's, and traded another highly regarded A ball guy for Rodney, their system wasn't highly rated to begin with.  I do think they're pretty good offensively, at the top of their rotation and decent enough in the back end of the pen to get through the regular season though.

d'Arnaud is garbage at this point. He hits into a double play every other at bat. Just like clockwork. Grandy with a nice walk to lead off the first, and d'Arnaud promptly murders the inning.

Down 1-0 already. Not what this team needs after the past two games which probably killed any last drop of will and drive they had. 

Can we just fast forward to the 6th inning when the Mets are still down 1-0, have 1 hit, and Tyler Chatwood is sitting at 38 total pitches? You know, the EVERY GAME script.

Edited by '7'

Mets load em up with 2 outs in the 2nd...3-0 to Granderson, takes strike 1, then gets an absolute hittable knee high fastball that he promptly pops out to 2b.

More clutch hitting mastery. By all means keep trotting these choking losers out there day after day.

Curtis Granderson can every so often hit a meaningless solo home run. And draw a walk at times. HE IS THOROUGHLY INCAPABLE OF DOING ANYTHING ELSE AT THE PLATE. Man on base? He will not get a hit. 

Edited by '7'

Of course Curtis gets to just keep playing every single day in the Land of No Accountability.  

And re:  these Met starters...they give up too many hits and throw too many pitches.  Colon's hittable, but at least he's efficient.  He'd probably make a better pitching coach than Do-Nothing Warthen.

Here comes a 3-run shot...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Travis is just a brittle loser and a choker. He's a goner. Granderson finally had the bottom drop out where he can't recover. I mean he has the most AB's on the club with RISP and has 29 rbi. He's about done as a major leaguer. If you're the worst player in the majors with RISP, then you shouldn't be in the majors.

Granderson can also be a dolt. Yesterday on a 3-2 bouncing inside ball four with the bases loaded he swings like he's never had a major league AB before. Today it's 3-1, bases loaded...pops it up. I mean can somebody in the dugout just recognize these guys are horrible and start putting take signs on? 

Edited by '7'

Matz has been walking a tightrope all night. Leadoff hit every inning seemingly. Pitch count is very high in the 6th, Reynolds up with a man on 1st. Matz will not make it through this inning.

Lots of heavy lifting and jams he's had to work through

Turn out the lights the party is over. Rockies with an insurmountable lead.

This team is filled with unclutch losers. You can't pick this up in WAR or anything, you just have to watch the games. Neil Walker is a loser, Cabrera is a loser, d'Arnaud is a loser, Granderson wasn't a loser, he's just finished now and incapable of hitting at a major league level other than a solo home run every 10 days. Conforto is still finding himself, Flores is a tease, Cespedes is hurt.

Again with the god damn double plays STOP IT

Neil Walker has come around of late a bit. But in the bottom of the 6th with 1 out and Loney at 1st and Chatwood's pitch count coming up...the unclutch loser within surfaces and he d'Arnaud's into one. How about a double in the gap once? Maybe a shot down the line? Nope. You can get all the base hits you want. Never one when it counts.

This is what we miss from Murphy. Murphy was like our best clutch hitter from 2009 to 2015

Edited by '7'