New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

With a 3-2 count and Chatwood throwing wildly with 1 out in the 7th, he throws a fastball a foot outside which Assdribble Cabrera promptly flails and misses at

Cabrera needs to be cut. Just flat out cut he's so terrible. Off the team. Off this earth. Batting average means nothing with him. I've never seen a lighter .258 in my life. He is literally a hockey player who scores 15 goals in a year with 13 of them into an empty net. 

He has 13 RBI in his last 52 games 

Tonights loss and the last two games are just the perfect storm of stupidity and general unclutchness. 

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't want to engage in hyperbole but I'm trying really hard to fight off the notion we should be sellers at this point :P

2.5 out of the wild card. Honestly...we probably should. The division is long long gone

The unclutch hitting is getting to Devils shootout failure level, in that the numbers fanatics just can't explain it away with their fancypants math anymore. When the Devils were like...0-6, 0-7...the people who were actually watching the games were saying, change it up, Henrique and Zajac can not score in a shootout etc. nope, they soldiered on with the guys who can't score in a shootout. We were told..."nah it's impossible. The Devils just by sheer numbers will win a shootout even if they stink in it...they'll never lose like 13 or 14 in a row, that's like practically statistically impossible in such a chance driven sport"

It happened and it was very well predicted. What were the odds that the Devils at one point would have like 3 shootout goals in FORTY attempts? 1 in 100000000? It happened

Right now with the Mets it's a combination of it being psychologically frail players who are pressing, plus perhaps we've assembled an assortment of players who just cannot play under the bright lights of NY. This is not Pittsburgh Neil Walker...this is not Tampa Bay Asdrubel Cabrera, this is not arrive by the 4th, leave by the 7th Dodger fans James Loney. We care.

Asdrubel Cabrera btw...Mets down 5-1 in the 7th with two outs, LINE DRIVE BASE HIT. That's the only way he keeps his average in the .250's. Getting hits when it doesn't matter.

How else can you explain it? I understood this when Mike Nickeas, Ronny Cedeno, Ruben Tejada, and Rick Ankiel populated our lineup. This lineup while not murders row, is comprised top to bottom of guys who have had long long stretches of very solid, sometimes very good, sometimes ALL STAR baseball. They're playing like garbage, but their talent level is quite proven to not be garbage. So it must be something else. Is it the approach (how much influence does Long have?) is it ALL a collective slump? The Mets are 5-51 with RISP in their past 5 games. That is .098. But SURELY the Math says it will turn around? NO. It won't

The numbers say they're due to bust out, it's bad luck, something must break our way etc etc etc.

It ain't happening. They're already psychologically broken and destroyed much like the Devils were in that year they lost 75 shootouts. The lineup needs to be changed. Completely shaken up. Too much of these failures are already in their heads. 

Also, Ruben Rivera is all around a better catcher than d'Arnaud. He's a better hitter, he's a better caller of games, he's a better receiver, he's better in the clutch. Travis d'Arnaud is an injury prone, noodle armed, double play machine BUST. End of story. Done with him. If we don't trade him, I want to see his ass nailed to the bench the rest of the season. Ruben Rivera is now our full time starter

Edited by '7'

I don't know what historically the single worst RISP team was in modern baseball history but...just going through the numbers no team has finished a season with a cumulative team RISP as low as the Mets in the past 15 years. Mets are at .204 right now, 16 points behind the 2nd worst RISP team, the Yankees

Got $8? You can be in the building for the Piazza jersey retirement tomorrow! Ugh, why do I get the picture he's going to get his number retired (only the 2nd player in Mets history! This event it like no hitter type rare!) in front of 18,000 poncho wearing fans and 24,000 empty seats (and a gigantic line at Shake Shack that will be casually watching on the big screen) And then the game will be start/stop or postponed

In a season where EVERYTHING has gone wrong, I expect this to go wrong too. Would be nice to get some sunshine for Piazza, since we were sadly unable to seal the deal with him here. Not his fault.

rubin_adam_m.jpg

T.J. Rivera has been pulled from Triple-A Las Vegas' game. I don't know yet if it's related, but Terry Collins dropped postgame that Jose Reyes may be headed to the DL.

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
13m

No, no DL. Cut him. Don't have time for Reyes brittle bones anymore. 

7 hours ago, '7' said:

Got $8? You can be in the building for the Piazza jersey retirement tomorrow! Ugh, why do I get the picture he's going to get his number retired (only the 2nd player in Mets history! This event it like no hitter type rare!) in front of 18,000 poncho wearing fans and 24,000 empty seats (and a gigantic line at Shake Shack that will be casually watching on the big screen) And then the game will be start/stop or postponed

In a season where EVERYTHING has gone wrong, I expect this to go wrong too. Would be nice to get some sunshine for Piazza, since we were sadly unable to seal the deal with him here. Not his fault.

I actually saw this last night too out of curiosity and was amazed.  I get a bad weather forecast dropping prices for 99% of games but still, it's not like the Mets are gonna retire a jersey every year.  And you have to figure the ceremony's going to happen at some point this weekend anyway, they're not gonna rain out the whole weekend barring something hurricane-like.

I'll be there praying I'm not hiding in the Promenade club or under the overhangs :P

Sources: #Mets made three-player offer to #Brewers for Lucroy, headed by d’Arnaud. Second piece believed to be Nimmo or comparable player.

I'd be fine with trading Nimmo at this point, he seems like a fine slap hitter but doesn't have plus plus speed or plus power, you usually need at least one to be a big everyday contributor in the outfield.

Yes I would give that the green light. But I'm curious if the 3rd player is still Rosario (or Dom Smith)

Nimmo, d'Arnaud, Rosario is the max I'd do.

Mets seem to be really hot on Lucroy.  He would be a real difference maker in the heart of this lineup. If we can ever bunch a healthy Cespedes-Duda-Lucroy together in the lineup, that's pretty formidable. 

Edited by '7'

Eh I wouldn't give them Rosario or Dom when they're already getting a younger catcher they still believe has some potential and Nimmo.  Unless the second piece isn't Nimmo but rather Dom - a 'comparable' player.  Cecchini's the highest third piece I'd involve (though that tweet gives the impression the third piece is more a mid-level or under-the-radar guy), I don't really think of him as being anything more than a utility guy who can't field and doesn't have a plus tool other than BA.

This is kind of approaching they'd better do this if at all practicable territory though, especially with the team dying on the vine.  It'll be interesting to see whether Mets-Brewers deadline v2.0 turns out better than 1.0 :P 

Edited by NJDevs4978

28 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh I wouldn't give them Rosario or Dom when they're already getting a younger catcher they still believe has some potential and Nimmo.  Unless the second piece isn't Nimmo but rather Dom - a 'comparable' player.  Cecchini's the highest third piece I'd involve (though that tweet gives the impression the third piece is more a mid-level or under-the-radar guy), I don't really think of him as being anything more than a utility guy who can't field and doesn't have a plus tool other than BA.

This is kind of approaching they'd better do this if at all practicable territory though, especially with the team dying on the vine.  It'll be interesting to see whether Mets-Brewers deadline v2.0 turns out better than 1.0 :P 

It wouldn't shock me to see the Brewers try to turn the screws to the Mets late in the game and ask for more. Honestly I don't see what they want out of d'Arnaud. I mean yea you're giving up a catcher so getting a catcher back makes perfect sense, but I sense they really haven't seen all that much of d'Arnaud. And when they get him, man are they going to be disappointing. If I were Milwaukee I would absolutely try to worm Rosario, Nimmo AND d'Arnaud out of it, and if the Mets don't blink then just accept 2 of the 3. Absolutely make the Mets sweat it out.

Just a quick check on their system...yea outside of Lucroy their catching situation is a hot mess. Nothing of note in the pipeline either. And Martin Maldonado can't hit worth a lick.

also fwiw Garin Cecchini is in the Brewers system

With things getting so dark now, this really should've been a 12pm ceremony...1pm start. Could've gotten the game in and the presentation.

Edited by '7'

Nats get Mark Melancon for Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn (minor league pitcher) 

Great trade for the Nationals. Melancon has been about as lockdown as it comes the past 4 years, and they get him for very little. Taylor Hearn is not even a top 20 prospect for them. Rivero was good last year...but not this year. And he's 25, so certainly not a kid prospect.

We could've gotten this trade done. Where were we on this?

Edited by '7'

Now that Familia's blown a couple of saves, suddenly the Mets need a closer?  Seems a little rash.  Not to mention Melancon is a rental who's already making $9.65 million this year.  Unless you now believe that Familia is going to fall off a cliff, Sandy couldn't deal from his limited prospect pool to duplicate a position that really hasn't been much of a problem in 2016 (Reed has closing experience as well).  Mets have bigger needs to fill. 

That being said, this is a terrific rental for the Nats.  Curious to see if they re-sign him.  He should get (for a closer) some big money. 

50 minutes ago, '7' said:

With things getting so dark now, this really should've been a 12pm ceremony...1pm start. Could've gotten the game in and the presentation.

Ugh don't remind me...its been pouring the whole ride up to the train station without much of a hint of light. I guess that's better than sitting at home in the dark though considering power went out in like all of Morristown just as I was leaving :P

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

Nats get Mark Melancon for Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn (minor league pitcher) 

Great trade for the Nationals. Melancon has been about as lockdown as it comes the past 4 years, and they get him for very little. Taylor Hearn is not even a top 20 prospect for them. Rivero was good last year...but not this year. And he's 25, so certainly not a kid prospect.

We could've gotten this trade done. Where were we on this?

I would have given them Robles and some random throw-in...but boy Familia's next blown save and the catcalls would have started lol. Plus we kind of need to keep controllable pen arms given how god awful Sandy's been at bringing in FA's.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now that Familia's blown a couple of saves, suddenly the Mets need a closer?  Seems a little rash.  Not to mention Melancon is a rental who's already making $9.65 million this year.  Unless you now believe that Familia is going to fall off a cliff, Sandy couldn't deal from his limited prospect pool to duplicate a position that really hasn't been much of a problem in 2016 (Reed has closing experience as well).  Mets have bigger needs to fill. 

That being said, this is a terrific rental for the Nats.  Curious to see if they re-sign him.  He should get (for a closer) some big money. 

oh no I definitely didn't mean I wanted Melancon to displace Familia, but when the price is this low (and Familia has been shaky this year, but I have faith in him) I would've still been in on Melancon just to shore up the pen. Melancon-Reed-Familia with all throwing well could be as lockdown as Betances-Miller-Chapman were for the Yankees.

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Ugh don't remind me...its been pouring the whole ride up to the train station without much of a hint of light. I guess that's better than sitting at home in the dark though considering power went out in like all of Morristown just as I was leaving :P

The Mets need to make an announcement on this game and they need to make it soon.

TDA IS playing. So is Justin Ruggiano who was signed off the street an hour ago to play CF with Reyes going on the DL :P

Of course there probably won't be a game at this point anyway, it's pouring on 69th street and the forecast looks horrid other than maybe a slight window from 8-10

Edited by NJDevs4978