New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, '7' said:

So god damn sick of Retardnaud. Every single or walk is a double for him. EVERY ONE

Yeah he blows.  But he'll be the catcher again next season.  That how it works around here.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah he blows.  But he'll be the catcher again next season.  That how it works around here.  

At this point, Rivera is better in every way, at the plate, calling games, blocking pitches...d'Arnaud is one of the biggest net negatives on this team.

Thanks Lugo. Thanks offense. Thanks bases loaded failures, thanks 3-1 swinging and popping out at ball 4. Thanks Neil Walker hacking at an an eye high pitch at 3-1 2 out with the bases loaded. 

Dumbfvck idiots. All of them. Idiotic approach at everything

This game is turning into an even bigger troll job than the deadline itself :P

Just now, '7' said:

Thanks Lugo. Thanks offense. Thanks bases loaded failures, thanks 3-1 swinging and popping out at ball 4. Thanks Neil Walker hacking at an an eye high pitch at 3-1 2 out with the bases loaded. 

Dumbfvck idiots. All of them. Idiotic approach at everything

And for the coup de grace, Rivera going for broke and yelling third when they had next to no chance to get the speed of Gardner.

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This game is turning into an even bigger troll job than the deadline itself :P

And for the coup de grace, Rivera going for broke and yelling third when they had next to no chance to get the speed of Gardner.

I know. How stupid. Honestly they had an easier play at 2nd.

God I hate this unclutch group of morons. They will fold so easily in the 9th too. Betances should aim at the backstop screen...we'll hack at it, because our hitters are braindead

Edited by '7'

And of course Granderson's still a pumpkin.  The 2015 version comes through in this spot, the 2016 version sucks.  Of course if we were two runs down and bases empty Granderson hits a useless HR :P

Terry got what he deserved starting the eighth inning with Blevins instead of just letting Reed start a clean inning with an already short bullpen, then playing for a tie in the tenth when we had what, maybe one or two more innings of Lugo.

Edited by NJDevs4978

When you look at the other forces at play here, the luck, the injuries, the brain dead approach to situational hitting...I'm ready to undo this Bruce trade. How many signs do we need to get this year to tell us this is not our year? Does god need to hit us over the head with a cinder block already? 

This was such a garbage loss. Terry was absolute crap. Betances strikes out a ton of guys, we have no pitcher. The fvck are you giving them a free out you old coot? You idiot. Let Reynolds try to hit the damn ball there...you know he did hit a HR earlier.

And of course Granderson. Time to put him out to pasture. He's not finding it again. It's August. He recovered 2 years ago, but this is a different Granderson. That AB was a forfeit.

And the bad luck. Such a BS excuse me blooper by Gregorious to left. After he just barely fouled off like 8 pitches. And for some reason Terry needed to try and be cute and smart by starting the inning with Blevins instead of giving the whole 8th to Reed like the routine had been. If Familia gets the whole 9th up by 2...I think he closes it down.

Awful awful. Worse than the Cardinals loss. Worse than the Rockies loss when we took 1-0 into the 9th and Terry trotted out a fried Familia when Robles was throwing well. This is a sh!t wounded mailing it in Yankee team that you handed the game too and then froze up and choked and died.

We can't overcome this idiot at manager anymore. We really can't. His stupidity is costing us multiple games by now. He makes 0 right moves. He has no clue or feel about anything.

I still don't get Walker. Up 5-3, bottom 6th. He's done well recently. It's a 3-1 count. Can you not hack at an up and in pitch? Can you at least make him throw strike 2? These pitchers literally WANT to walk in runs against us with the bases loaded. We don't let them. They look like they're throwing the game sometimes with how idiotic their at bats are.

What other team in baseball have lost 3 games like this in a mere WEEK (Rockies, Yankees, Cards)? No other team. This kind of heartache is for the Mets and the Mets only.

Edited by '7'

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Honestly...we need Wheeler in there at this point. Hopefully no bumps in the road of his recovery, neither Niese or Verrett fill me with confidence. Both wild cards.

The positive with Verrett over his last four starts is that he's pitched well enough to keep his team in games.  Either 2 or 3 ER allowed in each of his last four starts. 

The overall numbers:  23.1 IP, 21 H, 10 ER, 2 HR, 8 BB, 16 K, 3.86 ERA

The problem there is that this is probably the best we can expect from him, and he probably can't sustain that for too long.  But I do think he deserves some credit for not being a complete disaster over these four starts...especially since I don't think we would've been all that surprised if he had been. 

So yeah, agree that both Niese and Verrett are wild cards.  Unfortunately, so is Wheeler, who wasn't really that great when he was healthy...obviously has higher upside than Niese and Verrett, but we know how prone he was to high-labor outings and loss of concentration.  That's where I thought him losing all of this time really hurt.  He's far from polished.

10 hours ago, '7' said:

So god damn sick of Retardnaud. Every single or walk is a double for him. EVERY ONE. The staff hates throwing to him. He has totally regressed as a catcher in every way.

He cant block anything, he can't throw. Such a lucky bs excuse me single too. Such lucky crap

I really hope, for once, that the thinking around the Mets isn't "But he's cheap, under team control, blah blah blah"

Because I am now 100% convinced that d'Arnaud is absolutely not the catcher of the future for the Mets (I was still hoping, but I can't do it anymore).  I still think that he'll be a solid major-league bat (even if he never finds his power this season), but solid isn't enough to offset all of the things that he doesn't do well.  It's scary that he was better defensively WHEN HE FIRST CAME UP.  And I think he's reached that age where he is what he is.  I don't think his behind-the-plate skills will ever improve much beyond what they are now...he'll be entering his age 28 season next year, and I just don't see that instructor who's somehow going to squeeze something out of Travis that he doesn't have.  And of course, there's the constant injuries... 

Anyway, at some point, it can't always come down to friggin' money with the Mets...I get that it's beyond ideal to have as many young "under control" players in the fold as possible, but eventually, a player's chances have to run out.  Travis needed to build off 2015, or at least approximate that season AND stay healthy.  He hasn't.  And like you say, he's only gotten worse defensively.  This pitching staff needs a guy who can block a damned pitch or throw out a friggin' runner. 

I don't want to hear about "Well if Travis can stay healthy in 2017..."  That's how it always is around here.  Opportunity after opportunity, mostly based on paycheck.  I'm tired of it.

And on that "opportunity" note, even though I'm not a fan of his, find a spot for Flores, and play him everyday through the end of the season.  Even though it doesn't seem like it, he actually has pretty good numbers with runners on and with RISP, his seasonal OB+SLG has improved in four straight seasons, and his OB% and SLG% will be career-highs if he can maintain them.  He's hit .295 since 6/2 (with 9 HR), and slugged .623 for July.  I can't pretend that he hasn't done enough to get one last true extended look, regardless of what I think of him.   

Flores has flubbed opportunities before, so it wouldn't surprise me if that happened again...but this is more about "Find out once and for all if Flores has any real future as a Met" than anything else, because these kinds of questions seem to linger forever here, from one season to the next, and that has to end.  Play the guy damned near everyday and see if he really has improved as a hitter (and if he can be a passable glove somewhere) and if he really has a spot here.  Find out if that bat can ever be good enough to offset his defensive shortcomings.  But find out NOW.  Enough with the parade of questions that never seem to get answered, and come up the following season...and the next season...  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And there lies the real reason they're suddenly so gung-ho on Reyes being the 2B next year and why they were gung-ho on Dilson in the preseason.

I don't mind Reyes being on the ROSTER next year, but being gifted a starting spot is something else, then again it's kind of par for the course with this organization.

Re:  Herrera...after giving it some thought, I think Sandy was down on him just enough that suddenly he was movable.  I think if Herrera had approximated last year's AAA season, Sandy wouldn't have blinked.  But he's had a disappointing year with Vegas...his slash is way down from last season (though he was showing signs of picking it up at one point...his numbers on June 11 were getting close, but he tailed off pretty sharply), and it's easy to look at Nimmo's hitting numbers (as well as several other PCL players) and wonder what the hell was going on with Dilson...his numbers simply weren't very good for the PCL (the TEAM is slashing .288/.366/.452).  Though he hadn't done much in the majors, his sample sizes there (coupled with his age) weren't enough to say anything definitive about his future...I'm guessing that didn't factor in.   

I still don't like giving him up...it could be that he simply wasn't having one of his better years, and he was only 22.  And the idea of a declining/fragile Reyes (he has yet to show anyone that he's capable of doing what the Mets are asking of him) playing second next season for a team that's supposed to be thinking "World Series" is really scary.  

How the Bruce trade will understandably be perceived unless he does something big here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/72797/trade-deadline-winners-and-losers-3

Loser: New York Mets -- Jay Bruce has nice old-school numbers -- home runs and RBIs -- but his defensive metrics aren't good, and who is going to play center field? The Mets can still make the playoffs, but they need other players to start hitting (2.9 runs per game since the All-Star break, worst in the majors).

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How the Bruce trade will understandably be perceived unless he does something big here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/72797/trade-deadline-winners-and-losers-3

Loser: New York Mets -- Jay Bruce has nice old-school numbers -- home runs and RBIs -- but his defensive metrics aren't good, and who is going to play center field? The Mets can still make the playoffs, but they need other players to start hitting (2.9 runs per game since the All-Star break, worst in the majors).

Playoffs? 

36 minutes ago, capo said:

Playoffs? 

It's so weird, because they're only 2.5 games out of the second wild card, but it feels like so many more games than that.  But I freely admit it...I have NO confidence that this team will get the big hit, get the well-pitched shutdown game, or get anything else when they really need it...and both the manager and the GM sound like complete buffoons these days (it feels like Sandy did absolutely no research with the Bruce deal).  TC has continually gotten in the way since the Mets became relevant again, so how I could I possibly expect that to stop now? 

The pitching is good enough to keep them from falling completely out of it for a while (though by and large the starting pitching has only been pretty good and decent), and maybe Bruce does give the lineup a little bit of a jolt.  But 2.5 games never felt like so many.    

Yea it is kind of surprising to see anything over .300 in the obp column under Flores name. Overall he has 27 HR's in his past 690 AB's or so. That's a pretty decent number for a 24 year old. Just maybe, possibly, he's starting to find some permanent sustained success in the bigs. Though his recent nice run here has been largely overshadowed by all the awfulness going on with the Mets. He is a rare bright spot.

They seem like the most unmotivated team ever to walk the planet. There's no reason to believe they can make the playoffs. I wouldn't have faith in them right now if they had the wild-card lead. They seem to have absolutely no pulse. The only way I see them getting a pulse is with Wally and that ain't happening. They need a firecracker!

Edited by capo

33 minutes ago, capo said:

They seem like the most unmotivated team ever to walk the planet. There's no reason to believe they can make the playoffs. I wouldn't have faith in them right now if they had the wild-card lead. They seem to have absolutely no pulse. The only way I see them getting a pulse is with Wally and that ain't happening. They need a firecracker!

I don't know if it's lack of motivation, as it is that they seem to have lost a lot of fight, and it just doesn't feel like any one part of the team ever picks up the other...and then you get a game like last night, where the Mets get a huge home run (from an incredibly unlikely source in Reynolds to boot) to help make up for Verrett's meh-ish kind of outing, and then one of the most reliable guys on the team (Reed) doesn't get it done (similar to Familia, though I blame the second of his blown saves 100% on Collins). 

The one and only bad thing about the Mets getting to the World Series is that it gave Terry more time here...it's almost assumed that a manager that gets his team to the big dance must have done a good job by default, so he gets extended almost automatically.  I know it would've been hard to have let Terry go after a World Series, but most Met fans know that the Mets got there with minimal contributions from TC; if anything, I think they had to overcome him more than anything else...a lot of managers could've gotten to a World Series with the talent he had last season...I've said it before, more than once, but Art Howe is the classic example of how even a complete dolt (though to his credit, Howe did seem like a genuinely nice guy) can have terrific regular seasons (even more than one) with a bevy of top young arms in the rotation.  And I think there are pitching coaches who can get more out these guys than Warthen does...way too much laboring throughout the staff. 

It really feels like the Mets are at a crossroads...it feels like they could be a contender for a while, but now that they're here, the ownership, GM, and coaching staff are all in over their heads.  The ownership embarrasses themselves every time they make a public statement (and even when they don't), the GM acts like he wants to be the first in line at the buffet but forever gets shoved aside by everyone else (and then tries to spin how he really did want those scraps that no one else really bothered with), and the manager...well, this is not the right guy to take this team to a World Series victory.  Yeah, somehow he got there last season.  And some supremely unqualified individuals have served as heads of major corporations or even COUNTRIES.  Mets gotta have a real manager in 2017.  That would be a great start.

Whenever I let myself think about it...it's absolutely stunning that TC has been here for what will be SIX SEASONS!  How?!  Why?!  He was the ultimate warm body signing, a guy no one else wanted anything to do with (mostly because he was pretty awful in two prior stops), and I fully get that in a way, in that you bring in someone better when you actually have some talent...the Mets were starting over in 2011 and it was going to take time before the team would be any good.  Terry was at least cheap, and with the Wilpons having a lot of lint in their pockets, why spend much of anything on a manager when he doesn't have much to manage anyway?  But he was NEVER cut out for this kind of gig, and I'm stunned that Sandy has allowed this to go on for as long as he has.  Like '7' said in a previous post...there are FANS who have a better handle on the state of his team and players than TC does.  I still can't believe he brought Familia into that game (blown save #2)...there literally is a MOUNTAIN of questionable and flat-out boneheaded decisions that he has made through the years.  It's not fair to anyone that he gets to remain here, seemingly untouchable.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976