New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

lol at Terry using Rivera at DH with Travis at catcher.  That might be the most...odd decision yet this year and that's saying something.  And the explanation's even more hilarious

Who goes into a game wanting to pinch-hit for their DH?  With it being the backup catcher no less?  Terry's lost his mind :rolleyes:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Didn't watch this game. And I'm glad I didn't

Logan Verrett is a long reliever. Maybe he'll be a good one at that. But he should not under any circumstances start any other game for the Mets.

I don't know how many more signs can we get from the baseball gods telling us that this isn't our year. Tonight is another. It ain't happening this year. In any way

Edited by '7'

In fairness to Verrett, he'd been decent up until last night's start since going back into the rotation.  But the leash on a guy like him obviously has to be pretty short.  I'd give him one more start (because the alternative is Niese), but if he's not competitive in that one, then he's gotta be taken out.

Yeah, every possible thing that could've gone against the Mets this year, pretty much did.  It's almost comical now.  And what sucks about that is that I think too many of the same faces will be back next season.  But at the VERY least, Sandy has to see, hopefully once and for all, that the manager he doesn't even think much of to begin with can't be a part of the Mets' plans in 2017.  He has had a dreadful season in every possible way.  The team can't keep overcoming his overwhelming stupidity.  And his coaches need to go with him.  These guys are getting the absolute minimum out of what they have.  

Anyway, party's almost over...the standings don't matter anymore.  This team is just about done.  

What I'd like to see come September:  

Syndergaard and Matz shut down, with their bone spur issues taken care of.  Gabriel Ynoa getting a call up and getting a couple of starts...it doesn't look like there's anything there, but might as well find out if he can get anyone out at the major league level.  Also wouldn't mind seeing if Cecchini is as bad of a fielder as his error total suggests.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I would go as far as to shut down deGrom on Sept 1 as well. No use wasting these bullets either.

Anybody else that has any other aches and pains or needs a surgery that they are holding off should get it.

Edited by '7'

17 hours ago, '7' said:

I would go as far as to shut down deGrom on Sept 1 as well. No use wasting these bullets either.

Anybody else that has any other aches and pains or needs a surgery that they are holding off should get it.

Nah, as long as deGrom is healthy and not having any issues, he should continue to pitch.  Can't treat everyone as though they're made of bubblewrap and Teflon.  Guy has really been on a roll for a while now, but his year has been lost in all of the suckage.  He should have at least 10 wins easily. 

In a season full of "last straws" for one endlessly befuddled Terry Collins, his response as to why he didn't pinch-run Brandon Nimmo for Jay Bruce in Saturday's game should really be THE last straw, combined with him not even asking for a replay for the game-ending play at the plate (regardless of the outcome)...that combo should finish him, as far as 2017 goes...he's clearly going to get the rest of 2016, so no use bitching about that.  If he is still the manager next year, then I can only draw one conclusion from that:  the Mets are simply not serious about winning. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Gsellman with his 4th straight QS for Vegas.  His numbers in those four games:  26.2 IP, 24 H, 9 ER, 4 BB, 25 K.  Gotta love the fact that he's not walking guys after a rough intro to the PCL.  It's been such a rough year for so many Met prospects...I'd be nice to see Gsellman finish up strong. 

Rosario picked up where he left off prior to his injury, going 4-for-10. 

Dominic Smith is hot again...his slash is back up to .294/.351/.450. 

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nah, as long as deGrom is healthy and not having any issues, he should continue to pitch.  Can't treat everyone as though they're made of bubblewrap and Teflon.  Guy has really been on a roll for a while now, but his year has been lost in all of the suckage.  He should have at least 10 wins easily. 

In a season full of "last straws" for one endlessly befuddled Terry Collins, his response as to why he didn't pinch-run Brandon Nimmo for Jay Bruce in Saturday's game should really be THE last straw, combined with him not even asking for a replay for the game-ending play at the plate (regardless of the outcome)...that combo should finish him, as far as 2017 goes...he's clearly going to get the rest of 2016, so no use bitching about that.  If he is still the manager next year, then I can only draw one conclusion from that:  the Mets are simply not serious about winning. 

I'm a bit of a scalded dog regarding the 2016 Mets, that's the reason behind my approach with deGrom. Get him off the field before the powers that be take him out too! You're completely right but watching this ever lengthening DL list has me depressed

Terry's gaffe's this year are unforgivable. And while I'm certain he's a good clubhouse guy (to his credit this team has never been a locker room cesspool under his watch like we've seen some other teams disintegrate into...especially when the going gets tough) he is so inept when it comes to in game management that I can't possibly see Sandy sticking with him after this year (and Terry may just quietly bolt on his own) Whoever our next manager is, it has to be a cerebral guy. Not someone who throws Blevins out there when everyone on the universe knows Kinsler is coming off the bench.

6 hours ago, '7' said:

Yea curious to know who they are. Doubt any big names

The Cards trailed the reds 4-0 in the 9th. Had a man on 1st with 2 outs. Reds blew the game

San Fran and Florida locked in a Marathon. 14th inning tied 7-7.

One of the claims was for a reliever.  No names as of yet though. 

Yeah, in that St. Louis game, the Cards had the bases loaded, trailing 4-3 (it was 4-0 with 2 outs), then the Reds walked in the tying run, THEN hit the next batter to force in the winning run.  Insanity.  The kind of loss the Mets would suffer.

San Fran pulled their game out at least.  Not sure why I keep thinking that the Mets hanging around means they still have a shot.  They can't even win two friggin' games in a row right now.

13 hours ago, '7' said:

Terry's gaffe's this year are unforgivable. And while I'm certain he's a good clubhouse guy (to his credit this team has never been a locker room cesspool under his watch like we've seen some other teams disintegrate into...especially when the going gets tough) he is so inept when it comes to in game management that I can't possibly see Sandy sticking with him after this year (and Terry may just quietly bolt on his own) Whoever our next manager is, it has to be a cerebral guy. Not someone who throws Blevins out there when everyone on the universe knows Kinsler is coming off the bench.

Here's what's scary...as much as I don't think the Mets will ever pull it together enough in 2016 to nab that second wild card spot...there is that chance they can do it (especially since the teams in the race for the 2nd spot keep letting the Mets hang around).  And if they do, and win that wild card game and make a little noise in the playoffs (say, reach the NLCS and make it a series), then one of the league's dumbest managers will have somehow reached the playoffs two seasons in a row, with his team doing some damage.  And what will be sad about that is that the narrative will become "Wow, what Terry managed to do with a injury-depleted team was amazing!  Saw what you want about him, but the man finds a way to get results!"     

And then the mentality often becomes "Well, how can we fire a manager when he's reached the playoffs two seasons in a row?"  The problem is that Met fans know that Terry doesn't have much to do with that...it's often been very much the opposite, and this season has illustrated that fact better than ever.  When the ONLY positive that people can come up with is "Well, the locker room seems to be peaceful (which can have more to do with the personalities than the manager), and his guys like him (maybe because he doesn't put his foot down often enough).", then it's time for a change.  As long as there is a new manager in place by 2017, I'll live with TC's general incompetence this season. 

Neil Walker may not be a goner next season:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2016/8/8/12404194/mets-rumors-mets-are-considering-re-signing-neil-walker-after-this-season

The guess here is that some of Cespedes' money (when he opts out and signs elsewhere, which seems pretty much guaranteed) would go towards keeping Walker, with much of the rest going towards funding Bruce's option.  So based on that alone, the 2017 Mets would be worse than the 2016 Mets...but of course, we have to see what other moves would be made.  I get the feeling this team is going the bargain route again...that would be fine if Sandy was actually good at finding those, but he hasn't been as the Met GM. 

It might be the spur making things difficult, but man does Matz rack up the pitch counts and rack them up quickly. Lots of nibbling, lots or fouls. Can I really complain with 5 innings 1 run thus far...no. But right around 100 pitches is trouble

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Neil Walker may not be a goner next season:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2016/8/8/12404194/mets-rumors-mets-are-considering-re-signing-neil-walker-after-this-season

The guess here is that some of Cespedes' money (when he opts out and signs elsewhere, which seems pretty much guaranteed) would go towards keeping Walker, with much of the rest going towards funding Bruce's option.  So based on that alone, the 2017 Mets would be worse than the 2016 Mets...but of course, we have to see what other moves would be made.  I get the feeling this team is going the bargain route again...that would be fine if Sandy was actually good at finding those, but he hasn't been as the Met GM. 

We really don't have a reason to be optimistic with Sandy.  I would be open to a walker return but not if his money blocked the ability to bring in a stud. Walker is a good player. Very streaky. Our only hope is that Cespedes doesn't opt out.  Or else our offense will definitely be worse than this year.  How abysmal...

43 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOLbles does it again.

Terry showing that Travis is officially in the doghouse pinch-hitting a career minor leaguer for him against the immortal Jake Barrett.

And I'm fine with it. I mean Terry is an idiot and has no future with the Mets but neither does d'Arnaud at this point. He simply cannot play his position in any respect or hit with any sort of consistency or stay on the field with any consistency.

It's just weird cause you'd figure the ONE thing Travis might be able to do is crush one to tie the game.  Of course his power stats haven't lived up to his rep this year with 3 HR's (8 XBH total) in 155 AB's but still you'd figure he has more of a chance to tie the game with two out than a punch-and-judy hitter.

Heck if anything I'd rather they have taken him out BEFORE we got stolen blind again tonight with 5 SB's against.  I'm almost surprised pitchers haven't started trying to steal on us yet.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOLbles does it again.

Terry showing that Travis is officially in the doghouse pinch-hitting a career minor leaguer for him against the immortal Jake Barrett.

Robles has been very good at times this year...but I'm done with him.  Let him go flourish on a team that is a perrenial also-ran.  This guy will be a disaster in playoff races and series.  Some guys are just born to wilt in big spots...and they seemed destined to play for the Mets.  

Same old sh!t last night...now apparently the norm for Met starting pitchers is to be around 110 pitches through six IP.  It's really getting old fast.  

Mets are really stuck between a rock and a hard place with d'Arnaud...the guy's trade value has to be sh!t at this point.  What team is going to see him as their possible catcher of the future, if he's no longer good enough to be that here?  He is just awful.  The bat will get better, but I doubt his defense ever will.  And that is not passable defense for an everyday catcher.  But he'll get all of 2017 to prove otherwise.  Because that's how it is in Metland.

11 hours ago, capo said:

We really don't have a reason to be optimistic with Sandy.  I would be open to a walker return but not if his money blocked the ability to bring in a stud. Walker is a good player. Very streaky. Our only hope is that Cespedes doesn't opt out.  Or else our offense will definitely be worse than this year.  How abysmal...

Meek lil' Sandy is not going after any studs (even one that would make perfect sense).  The only "big" move that he'll possibly make is to re-sign Walker to a 3-5 year deal, as long as the bidding doesn't get too crazy.  At least he's a pretty consistent vet who will do what he does, and could potentially be a 3rd base option when Wright is either unavailable or being an unwatchable trainwreck in 2017.  Reyes could man second under those circumstances...or Walker could just stay at 2nd while Reyes plays 3rd.

BTW I'm not suggesting that I'd be thrilled with the above...I'm ok with more Walker (by the end of the season he'll usually have his typical "pretty good" numbers), but no one is selling me on Wright and Reyes being a significant part of the 2017 Mets being a positive.  Been there, done that, they had their chance and failed repeatedly when they were needed, and now they're just a pair of diminished losers.  I'd prefer never to see either one of them suit up for the Mets ever again.  

Mets sent down Nimmo and are bringing up TJ Rivera.

Rivera is a great story - local kid from the Bronx who went undrafted after attending Troy University in Alabama, was signed by the Mets in 2011, never a prospect but has grinded out 6 years in the minors and hit his way up the big leagues. Forget whatever comes next, the fact he's made it this far is an amazing success story, so good for him.

Edited by nmigliore