New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's old news, but the Rafael Montero Reclamation Project continues.  In seven starts with AA, he's put up the following numbers:  40.2 IP, 28 H, 9 ER, 3 HR, 17 BB, 32 K, 1.99 ERA.  It will be interesting to see if they keep him down there for the rest of the season, or trying to bring him back up to AAA...or even back up to the majors when rosters expand (should the Mets be out of it).  I'm not sure how heavily he still fits into the Mets' plans...obviously with the young arms being so damned fragile, as bad as the past couple of years have been for Montero (they really couldn't have been any worse), the Mets are going to need some depth, and they just don't have any.  Sadly it's hard not the think that the Lugos, Gsellmans, and Monteros won't have some impact on the club in 2017.  It's impossible to believe that any rotation the Mets put together for 2017 (with most of the current crew) will make it through a full season intact.  Time to find out if Montero is just the latest arm to get killed in the PCL but might be decent in the majors, or if it's simply time to move on. 

He has been such a forgotten man (and he's not a young prospect anymore, just sort of talent gone astray...) but those numbers look encouraging. 

I would forget AAA and throw him into the MLB fire in September. I dont think it serves his confidence well going into joke Vegas and giving up cheapies left and right in 14-13 video game slugfests

I just think the Mets have created such a poisonous environment in AAA when it comes to evaluating pitchers and hitters that you really cant trust most of the stats you see are compiled there. Sometimes I look at our Vegas roster and stats and just mentall subtract 25 pts from everybodys batting average thinking "yea this is probably what they would be in a real baseball environment" then subtract another 25 pts and that's pretty much what they are in the bigs.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If anything last night proves that Lugo deserves a chance to ride out a few starts in the rotation (which might be the rest of the season at this point).

Oh absolutely, he showed efficiency not seen in months by Mets pitchers. And Terry of course who does not have his finger on the pulse of this team yanked him too early. 

Backman supposedly is known to be a good pen manager. That alone is worth bringing him in...I think the Wilpons know he is a good manager so they want to keep him in the org but are still too skittish and too focused on family friendly to let him manage the big club

And yes it is kind of curious no other team has really even sniffed around on Backman. I remember when we hired Willie Randolph...I was always so perplexed why people kept hyping him, he kept getting interviews, and he was never hired. And after he was fired he has yet to be hired again as a skipper. Does Backman even get interviews?

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

And yes it is kind of curious no other team has really even sniffed around on Backman. I remember when we hired Willie Randolph...I was always so perplexed why people kept hyping him, he kept getting interviews, and he was never hired. And after he was fired he has yet to be hired again as a skipper. Does Backman even get interviews?

I actually wonder why nobody's hired Willie since his tenure too.  He had his faults but he's generally a good baseball man and not going to embarass your organization, and it's not like his overall record was terribad - he kind of deserved another chance somewhere else.  I mean you could say the 2007 collapse was a major stain but Francona had a similar collapse at the end of his Boston tenure and got hired again right away (though he had two WS in the bank too).  And look at Terry's record before we grabbed him off the retread pile a few years back and some of the other managers that have been recycled.

Edited by NJDevs4978

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I actually wonder why nobody's hired Willie.  He had his faults but he's generally a good baseball man and not going to embarass your organization, he kind of deserved another chance.  I mean you could say the 2007 collapse was a stain but Francona had a similar collapse at the end of his Boston tenure and got hired again right away (though he had two WS in the bank too).

Yea 2004 and 2007 definitely helped regarding Francona, Willie hadnt had enough success when 2007 happened, and the whole no facial hair "Yankee Way" stuff rubbed me the wrong way. How can we be a buttoned up professional team when we were trotting out 97 different uniform combos during Willie's tenure as well as over the top celebrations

Though that clubhouse I imagine wasnt the easiest to manage. A young Reyes, Wright (who Francesa has mentioned used to be a party guy with Loduca back in 2006 and had the Mets worrying) Delgado, Pedro. It was an eclectic mix.

That teams main problem was, of course choking and an inability to be scrappy or battle back. They were a bully offense. They could win 12-1 but in late and close games they often fell short.

Though Willies pen management was far better than Terry's. 

Willie honestly needed to start his managerial career in a low pressure environment. Learning on the fly with the 2005 to 2008 Mets is rough

Also I remember some comments Willie made regarding his race and the criticism he faces in contrast to other managers. That put a lot of people off. 

Though his firing was totally bungled. I mean it was after a win, and it was still fairly early in the season and they were .500

Edited by '7'

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

Also I remember some comments Willie made regarding his race and the criticism he faces in contrast to other managers. That put a lot of people off. 

Though his firing was totally bungled. I mean it was after a win, and it was still fairly early in the season and they were .500

True, he was always extremely hypersensitve - that's why it probably didn't help he got his first (and only) job IN New York.  He would have been better off starting in Cinci or Milwaukee like you said.  Omar was pretty much the same way in a more self-congratulatory mode vis-a-vis race too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, '7' said:

He has been such a forgotten man (and he's not a young prospect anymore, just sort of talent gone astray...) but those numbers look encouraging. 

I would forget AAA and throw him into the MLB fire in September. I dont think it serves his confidence well going into joke Vegas and giving up cheapies left and right in 14-13 video game slugfests

I just think the Mets have created such a poisonous environment in AAA when it comes to evaluating pitchers and hitters that you really cant trust most of the stats you see are compiled there. Sometimes I look at our Vegas roster and stats and just mentall subtract 25 pts from everybodys batting average thinking "yea this is probably what they would be in a real baseball environment" then subtract another 25 pts and that's pretty much what they are in the bigs.

What's not encouraging about Montero's numbers is that he's completely lost his greatest strength:  his ability to throw an insane amount of strikes.  Look at his BB per 9 IP for much of his minor league career (just before AAA) and you'll see how great he was.  His control was still respectable up in AAA prior until this season, but he had control issues in the majors when called up, and really struggled in AAA this season...what's a bit discouraging about that is that Montero had previously pitched pretty well in prior Vegas jaunts.  But I agree, I think come September you try to find out what he's got.  Mets are going to have to make some depth moves for 2017...at this point, they almost have to bring back Colon, crazy as that sounds. 

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

True, he was always extremely hypersensitve - that's why it probably didn't help he got his first (and only) job IN New York.  He would have been better off starting in Cinci or Milwaukee like you said.  Omar was pretty much the same way in a more self-congratulatory mode vis-a-vis race too.

Both Willie and Omar were always racially oversensitive, and Omar was a borderline racist...if course, people hear "racist" and assume that that means you're a bigot, or constantly making derogatory comments and observations about various ethnicities, cultures, creeds, etc.  Omar wasn't racist that way...but he was definitely too obsessed with being a Latino GM and what he thought that meant to his legacy, and being some kind of crusader for Latinos.  I think race definitely entered into some of his decision-making, which is absolutely a form of racism.  And yeah, Omar NEVER shied away from patting himself on the back (I'll never forget after Collapse #1, how he seemed way too happy about being in first place for the most of the season).  Omar could rub people the wrong way too...and towards the end of his tenure almost sounded as befuddled as Terry and Sandy often do, which is hard to do.  And as we saw, more and more Omar was building his team on a ton of IFs.  But he did have a pretty strong eye for talent.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could've sworn Willie got a couple of interviews after the Mets let him go. 

BTW anyone notice how quickly Robles is fading?  It's a shame, because I actually was starting to think that he could become a useful guy to have in the 'pen.  The talent is there, the head isn't.  No way I trust that guy in a big game.  Send him to a non-contender and he'll probably turn in a "WOW!" year.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Just look at Seth Lugo's PCL numbers this year...it would look like the guy doesn't even belong in AA ball with splits like those in AAA.  But he's actually (so far) looked somewhat competent here, and had a decent minor league career before this season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

His eye for talent is very good. You can still see the results of it. He's a better talent evaluator than Sandy that's for sure.

Omar was the one who dreamed up Los Mets, and I remember he tried to use it as a selling point in courting Delgado for the first time and there was some blowback over it.

Shame I can't really enjoy this run of Cespedes since he's only got like 40 games left as a Met and they'll need an unbelievable run just to get back in the playoff picture.  Him raking like this - again - is just making me madder they have no intention of keeping him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And on another more depressing note apparently the whispers about Doc after the 30-30 appearance with Darryl were true and he's back in the spiral of drugs.  I was actually inclined not to believe the headline of the story since Darryl has his own issues with how he's treated Doc but reading the story there seems to be ample other evidence he's back on drugs unfortunately.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/darryl-strawberry-leading-fight-doc-gooden-save-life-article-1.2760189

I just got through reading Doc's book too, now it feels a bit like fiction or at least sadly outdated.  Who would have thought of the two of them Darryl would finally be the one that appears more straightened out?

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's a shame. You know for a lot of these guys it is literally a lifetime of on and off drug use. They're clean for a year, then on for a year. Clean for 5, on for 2...and on and on it goes. A lifetime battle. Some can quit for life but most have frequent lapses

Huge win today. Syndergaard was a true ace, kept his pitch count at an effective level, and was dominant. No qualms about going to Familia in the 9th. Would've have been bothered if Syndergaard was at least allowed to start the inning and pulled should anybody get on base either.

Also just goes to show how much Cespedes means to this team. You first caught a glimpse of it during that Home Run Derby competition. Ces and the Mets are an absolute perfect fit. Sometimes a guy just belongs on a team. Paul O'Neill on the Yankees, Ortiz on the Red Sox..they may not start there but it doesn't seem like they belong in any other uniform

I just want to see a stretch of 10-12 games where Cespedes and Bruce are both raking and the rest of the team doesn't seem so clueless at the plate.

Edited by '7'

And good for Thor, he felt tired, he said something, and the right decision was made. Again, if he felt fine starting him the 9th was no problem, but I'm glad he didn't try to be a hero

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

Noah Syndergaard told Terry Collins it's too late in the season to be a hero and he felt tired and needed to come out after eight innings. Collins planned to let him pitch the ninth

Edited by '7'

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And on another more depressing note apparently the whispers about Doc after the 30-30 appearance with Darryl were true and he's back in the spiral of drugs.  I was actually inclined not to believe the headline of the story since Darryl has his own issues with how he's treated Doc but reading the story there seems to be ample other evidence he's back on drugs unfortunately.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/darryl-strawberry-leading-fight-doc-gooden-save-life-article-1.2760189

I just got through reading Doc's book too, now it feels a bit like fiction or at least sadly outdated.  Who would have thought of the two of them Darryl would finally be the one that appears more straightened out?

I do think he had it under control by the end of the book...but for him (and by his own admission), I think it's always going to be a real struggle.   

Though Darryl is clearly in a different and better place, I think he's still got a little of the "attention whore" in him...I think he still likes seeing himself making headlines, and I don't he minds making them at Doc's expense.  I can't say that I'm 100% convinced that Doc has gone off the rails again, but yeah, there's a lot of evidence to suggest something is seriously wrong with him, and that his old haunts might again be the culprit.  And like I've said, the way he looked in 30-30 was pretty jarring...it's not hard to come away from watching that and not think "Is he back on coke?"   

Sadly, the truth is going to come out fairly soon on this one.  The various quotes, coupled with that letter from his ex, are pretty rough. 

---------------------------------------

Good for Syndergaard to finally put together a strong, non-laborious start.  The only way the Mets have even a remote shot at this thing is for Syndergaard AND deGrom to both pitch like aces almost every time out (Mets have to win almost all of their remaining starts, really)...but of course with this team's "offense", even that probably won't be enough.  And does any really think Matz won't be heading to the DL, or that his situation won't be completely bungled by the Mets?  Like you say, Step 1 is always "Let's wish it away and hope for the best" when it comes to injured players in Metland. 

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Shame I can't really enjoy this run of Cespedes since he's only got like 40 games left as a Met and they'll need an unbelievable run just to get back in the playoff picture.  Him raking like this - again - is just making me madder they have no intention of keeping him.

I gotta admit...Cespedes on a high-priced, long-term contract will always make me a little nervous.  But I think it's a chance the Mets have to take at this point.  Sorry Sandy, if you just go back into full-on Passive mode and try to sell us on Jay-Bay Bruce being some kind of passable replacement for Cespedes, then you've lost every last ounce of credibility with me.  You've been awful at finding cost-effective bargain performers (for the most part), so don't pick up Jay-Bay's option, then try to pick up the slack with more of your crappy signings that rarely seem to pay dividends...Jay-Bay + your scrap-heap signings aren't going to get it done.  Cespedes isn't the ideal guy to build around, but the Mets NEED him.  The guy produces.  And if the Mets don't sign him, they'll just be stuck trying to find someone like him.  And with Fulmer looking like he's going to be a solid major-leaguer, it will feel a lot worse to lose Cespedes.  For once Freddy, Jeffy, and Sandy, don't think small...just sign this guy with the realization that the Mets just friggin' need him...and I think Cespedes kinda needs the Mets too. 

------------------------------------------

Nice to win a couple of games against a struggling Giants team (I guess), but before I can even entertain the idea of the Mets waking up long enough to get back in this thing, they need to go into St. Louis and win at least two games.  Then take at least two more against Philly.  Then take 3 out of 4 against the Marlins.  Yep...go (at minimum) 7-3 in the next 10 games, and then maybe I'll start to think that they might be able to make themselves relevant again before the season's out.  But I don't think they have the stones to do it.  And TC will get in the way at various points, because, well, that's what the Village Idiot does.  Not having a real manager sucks. 

-------------------------------------------

Rosario is in a pretty deep slump at AA...now just 4-for-his-last-34, with just two walks against 10 K.  Just a reminder that he's probably not going to be a huge bat at the major league level (I think the Mets would settle for adequate).  He is well underage for a AA player (won't turn 21 until November).  Even if he spends two more full seasons in the minors (barring setbacks, I'm guessing we see him for the first time in 2018, though that would probably be temporary), he'll only be 23 by the start of the 2019 season.  Of course, he'll probably do what most hitters do once he reaches the PCL:  rake to the point of silliness.  Brandon Nimmo now has a .345/.420/.539 slash with Vegas, and Michael Conforto is up to .427/.486/.720.  The TEAM is slashing .288/.363/.451.  Impossible to make ANY sense of that sh!t, as we all know. 

Doc denying the drug allegations:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/08/22/dwight-doc-gooden-health-family-darryl-strawberry/89091016/

Sounded pretty furious with Darryl (and the funny/sad thing is that Darryl does have a history of this kind of behavior with Dwight):

Gooden ripped Strawberry on Piscopo's show.

"The Darryl thing hurt me a lot," Gooden said. "I reestablished aI relationship with him. I gave him a lot of stuff. I never went to the press. I never said anything (negative) about him. I need to make better choices in picking friends."

The well-being of Gooden, who was forced to sit out the entire 1996 MLB season due to cocaine abuse and has been arrested multiple times on drug-related charges, has been a topic of conversation since the he failed to appear on a New York radio show on Thursday.

Golden said “some things happened” that caused him to miss Thursday’s radio show and another event on Saturday.

“It definitely had nothing to do with drugs," Gooden said. "I’m fine.”

Hard to know who to believe, really...but Dwight would be better off either by simply showing up to these events when he's supposed to be there, or give a concrete reason why he couldn't make it.  Given his history, of course a lot of people are going to assume the worst, and not be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

17 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I've yet to see that 30-for-30 piece, unfortunately - are you guys talking about his physical appearance? The way he speaks? Just curious.

Sure sounds like the evidence is pointing against Doc right now, though.

His speech was OK, but he looks to be at least 20 pounds underweight.  You can't believe how gaunt he's become.  You'd almost think he had some form of cancer and was undergoing chemo. 

What's sad is the personal statement Doc issued just shows that he's still in denial. Honestly it's gotten to the point where he has to be taken to rehab against his own will. Law enforcement needs to get involved. Something needs to happen so this guy doesn't waste away.

Sad. I can still see that gigantic mural of him on the side of the NY building. 

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, '7' said:

What's sad is the personal statement Doc issued just shows that he's still in denial. Honestly it's gotten to the point where he has to be taken to rehab against his own will. Law enforcement needs to get involved. Something needs to happen so this guy doesn't waste away.

Sad. I can still see that gigantic mural of him on the side of the NY building. 

I still see it as a tough call, as to whether or not he's really using again (though it definitely doesn't look good).  I gotta admit, I don't find Darryl to be the most reliable source...even with him getting his sh!t together, he's not St. Darryl, and has plenty of skeletons in his own closet. 

But yeah, Doc is making it very easy for everyone to speculate that he's off the rails.  Though I still think it's up in the air, I also understand why people would be convinced that he's slipped.  Hopefully it turns out that this is a lot of misunderstandings, and that Doc is guilty only of some odd behavior, and not cocaine use. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do think he had it under control by the end of the book...but for him (and by his own admission), I think it's always going to be a real struggle.   

Though Darryl is clearly in a different and better place, I think he's still got a little of the "attention whore" in him...I think he still likes seeing himself making headlines, and I don't he minds making them at Doc's expense.  I can't say that I'm 100% convinced that Doc has gone off the rails again, but yeah, there's a lot of evidence to suggest something is seriously wrong with him, and that his old haunts might again be the culprit.  And like I've said, the way he looked in 30-30 was pretty jarring...it's not hard to come away from watching that and not think "Is he back on coke?"   

Sadly, the truth is going to come out fairly soon on this one.  The various quotes, coupled with that letter from his ex, are pretty rough. 

---------------------------------------

Good for Syndergaard to finally put together a strong, non-laborious start.  The only way the Mets have even a remote shot at this thing is for Syndergaard AND deGrom to both pitch like aces almost every time out (Mets have to win almost all of their remaining starts, really)...but of course with this team's "offense", even that probably won't be enough.  And does any really think Matz won't be heading to the DL, or that his situation won't be completely bungled by the Mets?  Like you say, Step 1 is always "Let's wish it away and hope for the best" when it comes to injured players in Metland. 

I gotta admit...Cespedes on a high-priced, long-term contract will always make me a little nervous.  But I think it's a chance the Mets have to take at this point.  Sorry Sandy, if you just go back into full-on Passive mode and try to sell us on Jay-Bay Bruce being some kind of passable replacement for Cespedes, then you've lost every last ounce of credibility with me.  You've been awful at finding cost-effective bargain performers (for the most part), so don't pick up Jay-Bay's option, then try to pick up the slack with more of your crappy signings that rarely seem to pay dividends...Jay-Bay + your scrap-heap signings aren't going to get it done.  Cespedes isn't the ideal guy to build around, but the Mets NEED him.  The guy produces.  And if the Mets don't sign him, they'll just be stuck trying to find someone like him.  And with Fulmer looking like he's going to be a solid major-leaguer, it will feel a lot worse to lose Cespedes.  For once Freddy, Jeffy, and Sandy, don't think small...just sign this guy with the realization that the Mets just friggin' need him...and I think Cespedes kinda needs the Mets too. 

------------------------------------------

Nice to win a couple of games against a struggling Giants team (I guess), but before I can even entertain the idea of the Mets waking up long enough to get back in this thing, they need to go into St. Louis and win at least two games.  Then take at least two more against Philly.  Then take 3 out of 4 against the Marlins.  Yep...go (at minimum) 7-3 in the next 10 games, and then maybe I'll start to think that they might be able to make themselves relevant again before the season's out.  But I don't think they have the stones to do it.  And TC will get in the way at various points, because, well, that's what the Village Idiot does.  Not having a real manager sucks. 

-------------------------------------------

Rosario is in a pretty deep slump at AA...now just 4-for-his-last-34, with just two walks against 10 K.  Just a reminder that he's probably not going to be a huge bat at the major league level (I think the Mets would settle for adequate).  He is well underage for a AA player (won't turn 21 until November).  Even if he spends two more full seasons in the minors (barring setbacks, I'm guessing we see him for the first time in 2018, though that would probably be temporary), he'll only be 23 by the start of the 2019 season.  Of course, he'll probably do what most hitters do once he reaches the PCL:  rake to the point of silliness.  Brandon Nimmo now has a .345/.420/.539 slash with Vegas, and Michael Conforto is up to .427/.486/.720.  The TEAM is slashing .288/.363/.451.  Impossible to make ANY sense of that sh!t, as we all know. 

Thor and deGrom won't even be enough. Matz has to be healthy and pitch like an ace himself, and the bullpen has to overcome its recent sputters (Blevins now has a forearm issue, wonderful) I like how they had Matz play catch BEFORE seeing the doctor. Because we don't know what the hell is going on in there, but let's have you throw and potentially exasperate it before you see a professional.

It's gotten to the point where Ces has to be signed and it doesn't matter how outlandish it is, he has to be here. He's 30, still in his prime, he's built like an NFL linebacker. He's a post steroid era guy. Bay I sort of wondered about since his drop off was right around the time roids were being eradicated from the game. And most importantly he's proven himself in NY. He relishes this. He's played something like 154 games as a Met and hit over 40 home runs. That's spectacular. You just cannot let him walk.

Bruce on the other hand, I just hope he plays well enough down the stretch to where we can move him in the offseason. His value is dropping. I know we won't get a Herrera level prospect for him but I just don't want him around and would like to recoup something. I just want him gone. Bad fit.

47 minutes ago, '7' said:

Thor and deGrom won't even be enough. Matz has to be healthy and pitch like an ace himself, and the bullpen has to overcome its recent sputters (Blevins now has a forearm issue, wonderful) I like how they had Matz play catch BEFORE seeing the doctor. Because we don't know what the hell is going on in there, but let's have you throw and potentially exasperate it before you see a professional.

It's gotten to the point where Ces has to be signed and it doesn't matter how outlandish it is, he has to be here. He's 30, still in his prime, he's built like an NFL linebacker. He's a post steroid era guy. Bay I sort of wondered about since his drop off was right around the time roids were being eradicated from the game. And most importantly he's proven himself in NY. He relishes this. He's played something like 154 games as a Met and hit over 40 home runs. That's spectacular. You just cannot let him walk.

Bruce on the other hand, I just hope he plays well enough down the stretch to where we can move him in the offseason. His value is dropping. I know we won't get a Herrera level prospect for him but I just don't want him around and would like to recoup something. I just want him gone. Bad fit.

I hated the Bruce deal from the minute it was made...at first it was because I didn't like giving up Herrera, but more and more I realize what a disappointing year he's had in AAA this season.  And something is up with him physically...he's had one AB in each of his last five games played.  Maybe he bounces back (I would've taken a chance on that), but for him to suddenly become movable in Sandy's eyes says a lot...or maybe he really was that desperate. 

I've already said it, but that was such a "WWGSD?" (What Would Glen Sather Do?) kind of move.  No thought to how he'll fit in here.  No research done with regards to his recent track record, or recognition of the fact that he plays half of his games in a fvcking bandbox; for his career, he's slashed .253/.327/.497 at home (obviously just about all of his home games were played with the Reds), and .243/.309/.438 everywhere else.  He's only played in 28 games at Citi (7 as a Met), so I don't want to make too much out of a small sample, but he's slashed .167/.257/.354 at Citi.  There were two obvious facts that Sandy chose to completely ignore: 

1) That overall in his career, Bruce is not getting any better, despite have some better glamour numbers this season.  The OB%s of the last four seasons say it all:  this guy makes a lot of outs.  On a team full of guys who already make too many outs, that's a classic recipe for disaster. 

2) That there was definitely the potential for this trade to not only not work out, but to be the complete trainwreck that it's been to date.  All of Bruce's numbers pointed to it...the only way he was going to be a true help would be to perform well ABOVE his norms, and if anything, he was due for some regression.  Jay Bruce simply isn't very good, and Sandy just basically said "Oh, here's a guy with some power and RBI, so I'll just throw him against the wall and hope that he sticks."  This was a classic bad GM move if there ever was one.  I don't think too many Mets fans are all that surprised by how little he's done at all.  Yeah, he won't be THIS bad as a Met the rest of the season.  But he won't be leaps and bounds better either.   

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hated the Bruce deal from the minute it was made...at first it was because I didn't like giving up Herrera, but more and more I realize what a disappointing year he's had in AAA this season.  And something is up with him physically...he's had one AB in each of his last five games played.  Maybe he bounces back (I would've taken a chance on that), but for him to suddenly become movable in Sandy's eyes says a lot...or maybe he really was that desperate. 

I've already said it, but that was such a "WWGSD?" (What Would Glen Sather Do?) kind of move.  No thought to how he'll fit in here.  No research done with regards to his recent track record, or recognition of the fact that he plays half of his games in a fvcking bandbox; for his career, he's slashed .253/.327/.497 at home (obviously just about all of his home games were played with the Reds), and .243/.309/.438 everywhere else.  He's only played in 28 games at Citi (7 as a Met), so I don't want to make too much out of a small sample, but he's slashed .167/.257/.354 at Citi.  There were two obvious facts that Sandy chose to completely ignore: 

1) That overall in his career, Bruce is not getting any better, despite have some better glamour numbers this season.  The OB%s of the last four seasons say it all:  this guy makes a lot of outs.  On a team full of guys who already make too many outs, that's a classic recipe for disaster. 

2) That there was definitely the potential for this trade to not only not work out, but to be the complete trainwreck that it's been to date.  All of Bruce's numbers pointed to it...the only way he was going to be a true help would be to perform well ABOVE his norms, and if anything, he was due for some regression.  Jay Bruce simply isn't very good, and Sandy just basically said "Oh, here's a guy with some power and RBI, so I'll just throw him against the wall and hope that he sticks."  This was a classic bad GM move if there ever was one.  I don't think too many Mets fans are all that surprised by how little he's done at all.  Yeah, he won't be THIS bad as a Met the rest of the season.  But he won't be leaps and bounds better either.   

Well it came out Dilson's had a sore shoulder for the better part of two years, maybe that's been affecting his numbers this year.

re: Bruce I'd be okay with him if they moved on from Duda (could non-tender him if his back's really bad) and just put him at first base next year.  Otherwise you have the same problem next year you have this - too many corner outfielders and a slap-hitting CF that can't stay healthy.  Plus you need some RH power in the lineup especially if/when Ces walks.  Duda/Bruce/Grandy/Conforto is too much left-handedness and the big RH bat without Ces is who...Walker if he re-signs?  Flores?  Yikes.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The media needs to butt out of this and stop stoking the flames of a Doc/Darryl feud. Doc needs help, stop going to him for comment

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

Things are turning even uglier between Dwight Gooden and Darry Strawberry. Not only did Gooden refute Strawberry's comments that he's a junkie, Doc told the Post about Strawberry: "He's trying to take the heat off himself. … He's cheating on his wife. He's having an affair with people. … I call him Lucifer. … [Going public] was a weak shot, and he did it to make himself look better, because he is running a drug rehab."