New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

So true Has.  This is such an annoying team.  

Reyes coming through in that spot...yeah right.

lol I can't really blame Terry for trying to get blood out of a stone after yesterday's Niese fiasco wore down the pen.  Plus tomorrow could be another long bullpen game with Lugo though he'll probably wind up having the best start of the three :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol I can't really blame Terry for trying to get blood out of a stone after yesterday's Niese fiasco wore down the pen.  Plus tomorrow could be another long bullpen game with Lugo though he'll probably wind up having the best start of the three :P

That's fair, but at the same time when it's THAT obvious that the guy just doesn't have it...but yeah, rough spot for Terry to be in for sure. 

Someone might have to be a sacrificial lamb today, if Lugo has a short outing...I'd let Robles take the beating if need be. 

---------------------------------------

Dominic Smith with 11 BB and just 3 K in his last 10 games.  OB% currently at .368.  Hard not to like that.  Would be great if Nimmo (who's been very good at getting on in the minors) and Smith could do that up here, but that's a huge if.  As much as we can hope, doesn't look like Nimmo has the skills to be an everyday player. 

---------------------------------------

Former 2013 8th round pick Ricky Knapp (drafted out of college, currently 24 years old) having an interesting season...he's pitched for A+ St Lucie, AA Binghamton, and AAA Las Vegas in his last 10 starts (he's currently at Binghamton).  His numbers don't really excite, in that he's not a hit-suppressor and he doesn't usually strike out a ton of guys (though he's suddenly K'd 29 in his last 26.1 IP in his last four Binghamton starts), but for a franchise desperate for starting pitching depth, it's nice to have another name in the mix...especially since he's thrown 151 innings this season without breaking down.  He's having his best overall season as a pro.  He's also only allowed 20 HR in 418 minor league innings.  Of course, he's only made two PCL starts to date...I'm guessing that as long as he continues to pitch well for Binghamton and is still with the Met organization, he should start 2017 with Vegas. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

deGrom looks so terrible that I wonder if he's tipping his pitches. I mean it was literally a light switch from Cy Young candidate to utter crap. 

I think Nimmo will be a borderline 3/4th outfielder who on his good stretches might look like someone who can start everyday but really can't. What's really annoying is that you expect so much more value in that slot. Jose Fernandez chose right after him. CJ Cron went not too long after either. And Jackie Bradley a bit further down.

13 minutes ago, '7' said:

deGrom looks so terrible that I wonder if he's tipping his pitches. I mean it was literally a light switch from Cy Young candidate to utter crap. 

I think Nimmo will be a borderline 3/4th outfielder who on his good stretches might look like someone who can start everyday but really can't. What's really annoying is that you expect so much more value in that slot. Jose Fernandez chose right after him. CJ Cron went not too long after either. And Jackie Bradley a bit further down.

Of course, the Vegas crap makes Nimmo's current production impossible to read.  We won't know what he is until he actually gets up here.  His fielding was more disappointing than anything else...he looked clumsy out there.  Agree, if he turns out to be a decent part-timer, not a great pick...but there's plenty of guys picked in the first round who never even make it to the majors.  It's a bit of a crapshoot.  And it's not like he was a Top Fiver...he went 13th overall. 

As for deGrom...he basically said his pitches are just all finding the middle of the plate, and that he feels fine physically.  I think it's become very clear this season that we have to dial down the expectations we have of these young cheap arms.  Yeah, they should be pretty good, and plenty of teams would kill to have them.  But this is not going to be this lights-out dynamo that only needs a passable offense to succeed.  Sandy has to be aggressive this offseason (for once) and find a way to add a legit bat or two to this lineup, even if it costs him an arm...not another fvcking bargain signing or a "throw it against the wall and hope it sticks" move like Jay Bruce.  Not another occasional power guy who makes too many outs. 

Of course, I think what will actually happen will be Bruce's option will get picked up, Doofus will be re-signed, Cespedes will walk, and Sandy will say "Between Wright coming back 'healthy', Duda and Bruce, we'll make up for Cespedes' lost production that way."  I have a feeling this offseason is going to be infuriating. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm convinced that Terry is only here because it's the Wilpons who hired him and it's the Wilpons who won't fire him. There is no way that Sandy would ever have such a low baseball IQ no analytics guy as our skipper. The Wilpons love those folksy good guy types (that's why they loved John Franco so much and have him as a sort of Patron Saint of the Mets)

Cespedes is a goner. I'm sure some teams will be a little worries about his age (and the fact that a lot of guys from Cuba fudge their birth year, maybe he's 33, who knows) and the constant lingering injuries. But the production is there. And he will easily get more per year from some team not named the Mets, and more years. It's a shame because he just made a statement about wanting to be a Met for the rest of his career. 

Wright I think may be calling it quits. The fact that it takes him twice as long to get ready for games, all the time missed, ans just the general pain and discomfort and the how it may affect him later in life. Honestly I think it's 50/50. But I'm actually leaning towards Wright probably being our bench coach in a year or 2.

Edited by '7'

I've gotta think Sandy has the power to hire and fire a manager.  We've brought up Bud Black before, but Sandy did think very highly of him many years ago.  I just don't know how Terry survives this season if the Mets don't make the playoffs.  Also not sure that Black would be that much of an improvement...but I'll admit it, I'd probably be happy with that move mostly because he's Not-Terry.  Backman seems destined not to get a chance anywhere at the major league level, from anybody, no matter what. 

Yeah, Yoenis does seem to love it here.  And he's played his best ball as a Met.  And what's great for him is he's by so far and away the best bat on the team, that fans are clearly happy to look the other way when it comes to some of his baggage...and until Bruce starts hitting, he's going to be the main whipping boy before much longer. 

I'll believe it when I see it, re: Yo! opting in... but with as much sh!t luck we've had this year, we deserve something bat sh!t crazy like that to happen. Would make me feel so much better entering 2017 knowing we can plug in Yo! in the heart of the lineup...

Just now, nmigliore said:

I'll believe it when I see it, re: Yo! opting in... but with as much sh!t luck we've had this year, we deserve something bat sh!t crazy like that to happen. Would make me feel so much better entering 2017 knowing we can plug in Yo! in the heart of the lineup...

I think he's gone myself.  He can get 4+ years at significant coin, and he has no assurances that Sandy will do whatever it takes to put the Mets over the top.  I think the issues are twofold:  1)  We STILL don't really know what the Wilpons' financial situation is, and 2)  Sandy is just not creative or aggressive enough to take this team to the next level via FA and trade avenues.  He could get away with that if the Mets had some bodies coming up through the system, but there aren't that many of them. 

Cespedes will be in LF for the Yankees next year. Don't think for a second that they won't relish the chance to blow him out of the water with a ridiculous contract and rub our faces into the dirt. He gets to stay in NY, he gets to DH at times. Honestly it would be a perfect fit.

The Nats will be in play again driving up his price. But I don't think he'll end up there.

I mean if George was still there I could definitely see that, but I'm not sure the Steinbrenner sons get off on tweaking the Mets quite to the extent dad did, plus they still have two expensive OF'ers they can't trade, Judge and their other super prospect that they just got in the Miller trade (Frazier) who's also in AAA.  Until they trade McCann DH isn't open either though they probably will wind up trading him this offseason.

Plus it seems like Cashman's running the organization more than the owner for the first time in the last few generations of Yankee history and he wants to roll with the youth - until Bryce Harper becomes available.  They probably need to spend their budget (yes they actually have one now though it's still infinitely higher than ours) on pitching for the next little while anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

lol and just when the Mets are getting a rousing win now frigging Lugo's walking off with the trainer.  And this after Terry said he'd consider giving deGrom extra rest before his next start.  I'm telling ya the ONLY guy left standing in this rotation's gonna be the old jolly fat guy at this rate.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 hours ago, capo said:

Ron Darling just called today's pitchers pussies.

Good for Ronnie...he's right, they are, but the organizations are a big part of the problem, with the babying that goes on at the minor-league levels, the limits on innings and pitch counts...NONE of which have been proven to make ANY difference at all.  Then they're asked to throw 200+ IP upon reaching the majors...maybe it's time to let some of these kids actually WORK in the minors?  The way pitchers are handled today is a joke.  All of these "experts" with nothing to back up their "proper" handling of young arms...it's fvcking ridiculous. 

And like '7' said some time ago...fire the strength and conditioning team.  It's friggin' comical how fragile this team is.  Won't be much longer before someone gets hurt striding up to the plate or jogging out to the mound.

----------------------------------------------

As much as I'm down on the Mets, they did do what I asked of them:  took 2 out of 3 from St. Louis.  They need to do the same against the Phils, minimum, then 3 out of 4 against the Marlins...they lose two to the Phils, then they need to sweep Miami.  They get swept by the Phillies, then I'm done with any delusions that this team can contend for a WC berth.  At that point, let Lugo and Gsellman take regular turns, get Matz his surgery now, and monitor Syndergaard and deGrom. 

8 hours ago, capo said:

Granderson is really a sh!tty batter. 

Mets are lucky they actually got one good year out of him...2014 and 2016 were really about what we should've expected when he signed here.  And though he's has some good stretches, man when he's going bad...he's going BAD. 

-----------------------------------------------

Dominic Smith keeps on rakin'...3 for 5 last night, 9 for his last 15, slash now .306/.370/.470.  Also has some nice glamour numbers:  14 HR, 88 RBI in 121 GP.  It wasn't so long ago that Kevin Plawecki was shredding it in AA (smaller sample)...but to Smith's credit, he progressed a lot this season, and he's still very young. 

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean if George was still there I could definitely see that, but I'm not sure the Steinbrenner sons get off on tweaking the Mets quite to the extent dad did, plus they still have two expensive OF'ers they can't trade, Judge and their other super prospect that they just got in the Miller trade (Frazier) who's also in AAA.  Until they trade McCann DH isn't open either though they probably will wind up trading him this offseason.

Plus it seems like Cashman's running the organization more than the owner for the first time in the last few generations of Yankee history and he wants to roll with the youth - until Bryce Harper becomes available.  They probably need to spend their budget (yes they actually have one now though it's still infinitely higher than ours) on pitching for the next little while anyway.

You do make a lot of good points there regarding maybe a tempering of the Mets hatred/tweaking and the direction the Yankees are heading in. It makes me feel a lot better about the nightmare of Ces in the Bronx. I still wouldn't completely count them out, the Yankees are definitely a "go the extra mile and then some" type team. They did load up with Andrew Miller AND Chapman even after they had Betances.

I think they will work something out with Atlanta eventually and trade McCann back home

While his salary is too heavy for us I would actually be interested in McCann if they could pick up some of his salary. He will be 33 in the offseason but still has power, still draws walks. .330 obp for a catcher is good. His contract expires after 2018 so we won't have to deal with him in his late 30's

Edited by '7'

11 hours ago, capo said:

Ron Darling just called today's pitchers pussies.

I like Ron, and his analysis is really top notch (you can definitely tell he's an Ivy league guy) he picks up little nuances well...who's tipping their pitches, when somebody looks like they've altered their delivery a tad etc. Really he's what a true ex-player commentator/analyst should be. But one thing that irritates me is when the so called "old guard" (and 80's isn't old to me) start dumping on the current players for fundamentals or not toughing things out. 

Darlings 80's generation were a hot mess in every which way. And he himself spit the bit in his 1986 NLCS and his 1988 NLCS starts.

Not that we would've gotten to Hershiser anyway but it doesn't help being down 6-0 in the 2nd on the road either. Total implosion.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol and just when the Mets are getting a rousing win now frigging Lugo's walking off with the trainer.  And this after Terry said he'd consider giving deGrom extra rest before his next start.  I'm telling ya the ONLY guy left standing in this rotation's gonna be the old jolly fat guy at this rate.

Only a cramp thank goodness. But yea it's like how much more of this can be heaped upon us.

Keith can be VERY guilty of the holier-than-thou criticisms...he lays it on a little thick.  But you've got a lot of pitchers these days who can't battle or won't fight when they don't have everything working, and a lot of hitters who don't seem to be capable of making adjustments or modifying their approach.  There seems to be a lot less thinking and general intelligence in the game today.

No excuses here. We have to sweep the Phillies. Morgan is terrible and Velasquez has been awful of late though he has ability and shut us down very early in the season.

The Phillies are not a pushover as we suspected they would be but this is still a well below average team that we need to handle for 3 straight.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Keith can be VERY guilty of the holier-than-thou criticisms...he lays it on a little thick.  But you've got a lot of pitchers these days who can't battle or won't fight when they don't have everything working, and a lot of hitters who don't seem to be capable of making adjustments or modifying their approach.  There seems to be a lot less thinking and general intelligence in the game today.

Players just aren't as good as they used to be. There are some..  but a lot of these guys are cookie cutters who learned the same approach from various camps growing up.  Very few are cerebral self-made players. That's not to say that they don't work hard but everything is very procedural nowadays and that's why we get what we get. I

5 minutes ago, capo said:

Players just aren't as good as they used to be. There are some..  but a lot of these guys are cookie cutters who learned the same approach from various camps growing up.  Very few are cerebral self-made players. That's not to say that they don't work hard but everything is very procedural nowadays and that's why we get what we get. I

True. That's also a byproduct of living in such a connected world. Same is true in hockey where you have heavily coached cookie cutter players. They free wheeling creativity of pond hockey back in the 50's and 60's shaped a lot of the incredible players that went into the hall