New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

A nice surprise roster expansion callup would be Dom Smith because Loney has been just awful for a very long time. We got what we could out of him but he just doesn't give us the power we need from that position...or the OBP. His entire game at this point is just meaningless singles. He hasn't drawn a walk for all of August, and has a meager 5 rbi's during the entire month as well. 

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

A nice surprise roster expansion callup would be Dom Smith because Loney has been just awful for a very long time. We got what we could out of him but he just doesn't give us the power we need from that position...or the OBP. His entire game at this point is just meaningless singles. He hasn't drawn a walk for all of August, and has a meager 5 rbi's during the entire month as well. 

Yeah...Loney really needs to be hitting at least .290+ to justify being in the lineup every day...probably even higher than that if he's not drawing any walks (which he isn't).  I'd take his career slash, but he's pretty well below that now, and yeah, the Mets have probably squeezed all that they can out of him (I don't think they ever thought they'd have to go this long with him either...he was supposed to hold the fort until Duda could come back and strike out a ton and hit a lot of meaningless HRs).  We're definitely finding out why he's going to have a tough time being anything more than a desperate team's Plan C or D, despite the fact that he can make contact and is only 32 years old.

As much as I'd kind of like to see Smith come up, he's probably not ready yet.  He's still very young, and being in a wild card race in the majors is a big jump from AA (where his team is already an also-ran).  That's a lot to throw him into. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Same old Montero.  Guess they swing at that crap in AA.

No one can tell me that was an encouraging game for Montero...6 BB in 5 IP?!  100 pitches?  Lots of luck tonight.  He got damned near every bounce.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well that's game over. Some guy I've never heard of named scruggs wins it with an 8th inning double with 2 outs.

I thought they'd get blown out today, we had out chances...Montero labored but did go 5 scoreless. We got 0 off Fernandez as everybody thought we would. No offense to speak of as they go down meekly

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Oh wow. Didnt even see the injury. What happened?

He took an elbow to the neck from the pitcher trying to cover the plate.  Hopefully he isn't leaving leaving the game since the Mets just sent down their only healthy middle infielder :P

And yeah he is going back out to SS in the 9th...sparing us of having to see Rene Rivera playing there :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

I hope the fans thought enough to chant sign him Fred after that HR :lol:

Good god they really stole one...no excuse now not to take three of four.  Of course they're still 2.5 back and probably will be stuck in mud for a while in regards to the race but they need to keep winning somehow and eventually the dam'll break.

Edited by NJDevs4978

As we know, Mets have won seven out of nine...which would have felt a lot better if they had managed more than seven wins in their prior 23 games.  They pretty much HAD to do what they've done as of late just to keep their season alive. 

Yeah, the Mets are really to the point where they can't really worry about the standings, and just have to keep on finding ways to win.  The record is 67-64, 31 games left.  I say they have to go 21-10 the rest of the way to take it for sure.  A quick glance at their competition for WC Slot #2 shows that no one is lighting it up, really:  Cards are 13-14 in their last 27 games, Marlins are 10-16 in their last 26, and the Pirates are 15-14 in their last 29 (the Mets are 14-18 in their last 32).  Of course, the feeling is that one of these teams is going to pick it up and go on some kind of tear eventually...but none of them have shown the ability to do it for long YET.  I still think it's going to take 88 wins to take that second WC slot. 

At least Montero didn't blow up last night, somehow...but it remains a shame that a former control artist has completely lost the ability to throw strikes consistently.  He can fatten up in AA all he wants, but he's got "project" written all over him, as far as his future goes.  He should get some more work here in September (probably in long relief/mop-up games).

---------------------------------

Just 6 K for Dominic Smith in his last 22 games.  He's walked 14 times and K'd just 5 times in his last 15 games...his BB-to-K ratio on the season is a very respectable (in 2016) 49-to-73 (just 73 K in 125 GP...imagine a Met hitter not being uber K-prone), and has only gotten better as the season has gone on.  Seems like the kind of guy that Sandy can't wait to trade for an overrated zilch like Jay Bruce. 

Speaking of Bruce...don't even pick up his option Sandy.  He sucks.  You chose to ignore that data that showed it when you made that desperation deal, but now you're seeing it firsthand.  Yeah, it sucks that you gave up Herrera for him, but that's water under the bridge now.  But now it's imperative that you bring back Cespedes and Walker (despite their warts), and knowing the Met finances, Bruce's option will hinder you from doing at least one, if not both.  And it's about fvcking time that when a guy does nothing here, that he doesn't get yet another chance to do nothing.  Maybe Bruce actually does something down the stretch...if he does, great, you got something out of him.  But no Bruce in 2017.  No no no.

If Cespedes isn't a Met next season the amount of vitriol directed at the Wilpons will put them in witness protection. It's gotten to that point already. Though one thing I wish they would stop is the over the top celebrations. This was the crap that existed between 2005 - 2008 which got us universally reviled and really amped teams up to play us and wreck our season down the stretch all the while those same teams just couldn't be bothered to try when playing the Phillies. I don't want to see bat flips into the upper deck or Jose Reyes wearing bubble gum buckets as helmets.

I have no idea how Montero didn't crumble. He held his own, didn't give us the length we needed but also didn't give up a run. Overall it was a good step he took and hopefully he's able to gain a better grasp of his command in the future. The fact that we won a Montero vs Fernandez start is an absolute gift. Maybe just maybe with all the awful injury luck we've had this year with our pitchers, both nagging and serious, the Montero the forgotten man can be a nice late bloomer contributor down the line.

I have no clue how Bruce even has 86 rbi on the season. He looks like he's never swung a bat before. I know he can't possibly be this bad, but I guess perhaps being thrust from the ultimate meh city in Cinci with zero pressure right into a NY wild card chase (and add in some nagging injuries) may have thrown in for a loop. He's getting hittable pitches...he's missing them. He's pressing.

Edited by '7'

My goodness, where would this team be without Cespedes the last year+? 

Great start to a critical series - definitely was expecting a loss with the Montero/Fernandez matchup. Now let's take advantage of stealing that one and win at least 2 of the next 3.

And btw, I have an irrational dislike for Jose Fernandez. Not only that we should've drafted him but he has that punchable long Mark Teixeira type face and is always hooting and hollering on the mound. Just seems like a cocky jerk

And while he did dominate us last night, his home/away splits are obscenely pronounced. Cy Young at home, Steve Trachsel on the road.

Cespedes has now played nearly a full season as a Met. 160 regular season games

This ranks with some of the greatest offensive single seasons in Mets history. 44 home runs. Heck he's even walked a very respectable 54 times

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

This ranks with some of the greatest offensive single seasons in Mets history. 44 home runs. Heck he's even walked a very respectable 54 times

Been over it before, but yeah, he's simply been a better player as a Met than anywhere else.  It's scary how good he's been.  .294/.358/.589 slash (I remember when we were concerned about his lack of walks and relatively low OB%).  Like you say, 44 HR when that many over 160 or so is a big deal again.  I never thought he'd have a year like this, but he was a .942 OB+SLG guy last season, and he's been at .949 this season. 

Yeah, there's things about him that annoy.  And yeah, there's a part of you that wishes he didn't have to mean so much to this franchise...but he DOES.  They really need him. 

The ONLY pass the Mets will get from me on not re-signing Cespedes is if Sandy does every last thing to bring him back (and by that I mean making a real offer and one of their half-assed "See we tried, we really did" bullsh!t offers), and Cespedes simply decides he wants to go somewhere else. 

Unfortunately I see the half-assed scenario being an all-too-possible reality.  And if that happens, it's like we've all said...sorry Freddy and Jeffy and Sandy, you're not serious about winning or keeping this thing going.  Nothing you say will change our minds if Cespedes walks with minimal fight.  There will be NO goodwill after that.  You will all be dead to us.  And no, don't even think that re-signing Walker and picking up Bruce's option will bamboozle all of us.    

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Has any Met ever had a 40 HR season other than Mike? I think he had one of his 40-120 year for us. Darryl iirc got to 39 HR's once or twice. 

Now that I think of it Todd Hundley had a 41 HR season before he enjoyed the nightlife too much :lol:

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Has any Met ever had a 40 HR season other than Mike? I think he had one of his 40-120 year for us. Darryl iirc got to 39 HR's once or twice. 

Now that I think of it Todd Hundley had a 41 HR season before he enjoyed the nightlife too much :lol:

heh I think one of the main issues was Bobby V was agitated by his smoking or something.

Also Beltran had 41 in 140 games in 2006. Seems like forever ago but that's a monster year even in the steroid era. 

Delgado had 38 in 144 games that year as well. 

Kingman would've easily done it back to back years in 1975 and 1976 had he not missed chunks of both seasons

Edited by '7'

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You guys named 'em...Carlos Beltran (that 2006 Met offense was pretty sick), Mike Piazza, and Todd Hundley.  Hundley found his way onto the Mitchell Report...this link pretty much tells it all:

https://goodmenproject.com/sports/all-steroids-team-todd-hundley/

The one guy who has no absolutely no steroid suspicion looming over him at all is obviously Beltran. 

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mets renew the AAA lease in Las Vegas for two more years to the delight of nobody except the minor league starting lineup.

Wonder if they even explored other options (or if any were available).  But yeah, that sucks...not like they're the only franchise with a team stuck in the PCL, but I can't think of too many places that make less sense than Vegas. 

Matz to miss another start, shoulder still an issue. And Walker will miss todays game as well even though he is feeling a bit better according to Terry. But the back issue is serious enough that he will need lots of time off the rest of the way.

Damn...Reyes has really found his stroke.  Gotta give him kudos.  Just hope he doesn't fall off a cliff.

Go fvck yourself Ozuna...not Lugo's fault that you don't know how to get out of the way of a pitch...and that body armor crap is bullsh!t anyway.