New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah Henderson's done nothing after April.  Thing is the rest of this bullpen is almost as awful.  Robles has been lit up like a pinball machine for a month but he had two good innings tonight so he'll probably be back pitching big innings again because they literally can't do anything else but try to play the hot hand when anyone shows the faintest hint of a pulse.

Hate how we had to burn Familia in that game. But good for Terry not messing around. Usually he waits until it becomes a full blown crisis.

Not sure what they'll do with Henderson. He's really had such a small sample since returning but the results are not good. 

11 hours ago, capo said:

Freaking horrible right there, Teufel.

He's another in a list of guys who's been terrible for a while but just seems like he's destined to be a Mets lifer because the Wilpons must love him. Much like Jay Horwitz, Ray Ramirez...

Terry Collins said it was unclear if Walker would be available for Wednesday’s game. He declined to comment further on Walker’s condition. While publicly the Mets have said they believe Walker has a condition that simply needs to be managed day-to-day, at least one source within the organization expressed real worry about the second baseman, saying he was concerned it might affect him the rest of his career.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/neil-walker-injury-worse-mets-source-article-1.2772130

Hmmm. Rest of his career? Is this another stenosis type thing?

Makes the Herrera-for-Stiff trade look that much worse.  A lot harder to commit to Walker long-term now...though other teams will obviously be similarly cautious. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Makes the Herrera-for-Stiff trade look that much worse.  A lot harder to commit to Walker long-term now...though other teams will obviously be similarly cautious. 

I was just thinking if this back thing with Walker has hit the fan a month earlier would Dilson have been off limits then? Only the Mets would trade their 2B of the future then watch the 2B of the present come up lame weeks later.

As nutty as it sounds if this is something that really limits Walker in the future then plan C may be Reyes to 2b

Then we can go sign Justin Turner to play 3rd!

While we're all weeping over Murph, Turner is quietly about to put up 30hr, 95rbi. 

Still can't believe we let this guy walk. I know his playing time was limited but he could play any position...and any time he got an opportunity he proved that at the very least he can make solid, consistent contact.

Edited by '7'

Infield is definitely muddy for 2017.  Who knows who's playing the corners and catching (though in the land of 1000000 chances, it will be d'Arnaud I'm sure)?  But yeah, whether it's at 2nd or 3rd, I'm guessing unless he falls apart, Reyes will be part of the mix along with Cabrera.  Flores too...much as I don't love him, his offense has improved every season, and is bordering on pretty good this year (.783 OB+SLG).  He's been a solid hitter the last three months.  Just a question of where do you stick him and his shaky glove?  He's a bad fielder no matter where you put him.   

I like that Flores has made me alter my stance on him this year, but he has a pretty massive platoon split:

vs RHP: .228/.286/.339

vs LHP: .344/.390/.699

You're not talking huge samples with the above, but his career splits bare out a similar picture, so it's hard for me to get behind him as anything more than a short-side platoon player somewhere on the infield. He's a better fit a super-utility infielder who gives Starter X, Y, or Z a breather on day-after-night/Sunday games and serves as your top PH off the bench vs LHP.

Edited by nmigliore

39 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I like that Flores has made me alter my stance on him this year, but he has a pretty massive platoon split:

vs RHP: .228/.286/.339

vs LHP: .344/.390/.699

You're not talking huge samples with the above, but his career splits bare out a similar picture, so it's hard for me to get behind him as anything more than a short-side platoon player somewhere on the infield. He's a better fit a super-utility infielder who gives Starter X, Y, or Z a breather on day-after-night/Sunday games and serves as your top PH off the bench vs LHP.

I'm definitely not saying he should be a 150+ game everyday guy, but his bat is turning out to be better than I thought overall (I'm getting to the point where I can deal with him sticking around as the kind of player you describe)...that IS a pretty harsh split though.  I had no idea it was THAT pronounced.  That's almost nothing against righties. 

Troublesome game with all the missed opportunities and bad luck. The Marlins were lucky to get that crap pitcher out of there only giving up 2 runs.

Colon has gotten some fluke hits this year but I'm sorry with bases loaded he cannot swing the bat. Anything in the ground is a double play.

Funny '7', I was thinking they should not let Colon swing in that last AB.  

Damn, HR for Yelich.

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As usual bad news is just around the corner after good news.  Wonder if they even QO him at this point, either way he's probably only getting a one year deal this offseason.

That's a tough call. QO was almost 17 mil last year.  I don't want Walker on that kind of deal. I wouldn't do it anyway. Definitely not coming off an injury.  Not sure what the MLB rules are for  FAs in this type of situation. 

Marlins are in rough shape right now. Not much of a pulse, cratering at the wrong time. If we sweep them today they then are staring down the barrel of Cleveland. They may continue sinking like a stone. And to be honest I don't have much sympathy for them after 07/08 and with their injuries this year. No Bour no Stanton...yea well been their done that and we've scratched and clawed back into this thing.

The Walker thing disappoints me because this is not a thing that you can't play through while receiving treatment. He doesn't have a broken back...here's a chance to get into the playoffs and he's pretty much tapping out in September.