New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

And also, Bartolo has to be a Met in 2017. I don't care, keep signing him until he hits a wall. Of all the young guns that have been hampered by injuries, all Colon has done is gone out there and given us 89 starts in 3 years. He'll probably finish with 31 starts this year as well just like last and the year before. I don't want to hear "Well maybe Lugo can step in and mirror his production for cheaper" "Maybe we'll have Harvey/Wheeler/Matz/Degrom/Thor next year and we have no room for Bartolo"

No...something will happen. We need him. Bring him back

2 hours ago, '7' said:

And also, Bartolo has to be a Met in 2017. I don't care, keep signing him until he hits a wall. Of all the young guns that have been hampered by injuries, all Colon has done is gone out there and given us 89 starts in 3 years. He'll probably finish with 31 starts this year as well just like last and the year before. I don't want to hear "Well maybe Lugo can step in and mirror his production for cheaper" "Maybe we'll have Harvey/Wheeler/Matz/Degrom/Thor next year and we have no room for Bartolo"

No...something will happen. We need him. Bring him back

Crazy as it sounds, I agree...like we've discussed many times, about 75-80% of the time the guy gives you a chance to win...and this year he's really kept the implosion outings down...a big reason his ERA isn't around 4.00 this season. 

And the fact is that I don't trust any one of the young arms anymore.  I'm not talking about pure performance...they're a product of their environment...they've all been babied to death and now 200 innings pitched in a season and remaining healthy is apparently a major achievement for these guys.  You are 100% right, chances are there will be a spot open for Colon next season.  Sad that a 43-year-old chubster is a better bet to stay healthy than the other starters, but man he sure seems to be.  

Nice that there's a little depth in the organization...of course we have no idea what Gsellman, Lugo, or Montero have (and I have no confidence in Montero), but at least they haven't come up and gotten rocked right off the bat.  I just wonder how those guys stay sane in Vegas.  Does Viola just constantly reassure them and try to get them not to look at the numbers? 

Jay fvcking Bruce.  Thank you Sandy.

re:  deGrom, feels like he's getting squeezed on some pitches.  But yeah, still not right.

And that call at first base by Tim Timmons...how in fvck did he miss that?!  That guy was safe by a country mile!  Sorry, a guy who blows a call that badly can't ump in the majors.

So... the Mets only brought up 3 guys? F-ing stupid...  they had 2 freaking healthy guys on the bench yesterday. Today they can max out their roster and they bring up 3 guys and one of them sucks at hitting...

Edited by capo

43 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And Rivera playing first lol...you're right, bringing up so few guys is stupid but typical of this team's laissez faire roster mangement.  The kicker is Vegas is playing out the string for a few more days and that's it.

It just goes to show that this teams problems stem from the top. Just retardedness.  

I dont care if Conforto hits .950 in Vegas, he's been a disaster in the bigs for a long time now and it's ridiculous to think he'd just appear on the scene once again and suddenly "get it"

3 of 4 is what we all wanted so can't complain too much, but deGrom running out of gas and exiting, and the unclutch antics late just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

If Cespedes isnt starting this team is just horrible.

Disappointing loss with deGrom on the hill. Looked like they had a great chance to get back into it late but that Conforto DP was a backbreaker. In the glass-half-full view, they did come away with 3-of-4 at least and sit just 2 back of STL with no team in front of them (albeit PIT and MIA are breathing right down their necks). Some of that good may come undone this weekend though with Washington in town and the Cards facing the terrible Reds.

Edited by nmigliore

The Mets just look like they ran the tank empty last night. That Conforto DP pretty much ended the season. And folks were so excited to bring him back up here. Bruce, Conforto, and Granderson are just not MLB players right now. Even guys who thought Bruce was stink (and they're all right) probably didnt think he'd be THIS bad.

It would be a miracle if we win a game vs. Washington.

Edited by '7'

8 hours ago, '7' said:

Reyes can be 4-4 but in a big late inning spot with ducks on the pond it's pretty much always going to be an out.

Reyes has done more than I expected so far, but yeah, once a loser, always a loser...I have no faith that he's going to come through in the big spot.

It's quite scary that Reyes and Wright could actually both in the Met infield next season.  If Sandy wants to continue the unclutchness that seems to define the Mets, reuniting the Losers of Yesteryear is a great way to do it.

The Mets just seem destined to stay in this thing because the other teams involved in the chase appear to be completely incapable of putting anything together. 

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They're sure getting their revenge on us for last year...finished us off for the division at the All-Star break and might well finish us off for the playoffs now.

There's something so aggravating in that.  To me, it feels like we're forever the poor family who gets to enjoy one big fancy night out on very rare occasions, but then after the sun rises the next morning, we're quickly reminded of our place and our true reality.  No, of course the Mets couldn't win another division title.  No, of course the Mets probably don't make the playoffs (and even if they get in as a WC, does anyone actually believe that they'll win that game?).  Did we really think this franchise could sustain prosperity?

And what is going to drive me just as batty will be this offseason.  As much as I want to believe otherwise, I think the 2017 Mets will look very much look like the 2016 Mets, minus Cespedes, with the narrative from Sandy being "If everyone stays healthy..."  And the topper:  the Village Idiot gets to stick around for 2017, partly because he's still under contract...but mostly because THAT narrative will be "Terry did an amazing job dealing with all the injuries, keeping his team in the race, blah blah blah..."