New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Part of me wants to see Ynoa get a start (especially with Montero being not impressive with all of the BBs), but yeah, hasn't really impressed in the chances he's gotten so far

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Robles was never anywhere near as dominant as Benitez was.  Check out Armando's 1999 and 2000 seasons.  Even with the occasional big-game implosions, Benitez could really be tough on hitters. 

True. I guess I should've mentioned that his makeup, stuff, and behavior reminds me of Benitez. He's sort of like Benitez before he was a well known dominant commodity. Armando was in his mid to late 20's when he really rounded into form.

I guarantee you someone is sitting out there thinking Robles can be their closer. He still has some refining to do but overall he's going to have a long, maddening career. And other teams will relish at beating him just because he comes across as cocky.

Edited by '7'

I think Robles can put up some "Wow, who's this guy?"-kind of closer numbers on a 75ish win team...and will promptly falter when asked to close for a true contender.  I just think that guy couldn't be more of a frontrunner...I think he'll be a complete disaster in constant high-pressure situations...the true anti-Rivera. 

Yes that is a good description of him. Really for him to succeed he needs to add a tick or two to his velocity and refine his secondary pitch

He will excel as a 7th inning guy, or a guy who you just need to bring in and hope he blows someone away with high heat. 

What I DO like about him is that guys generally don't seem comfy at the plate against him. Doesn't mean they don't hit him...

I just wish him and Familia never messed with that quick pitch. Last year in Philly it almost started a fight and our little rule bending got thrown back in our face in game 1 of the World Series.

Edited by '7'

Mets need to go 16-6 to match last season's win total.  Not saying that they'll get there...but it's pretty amazing how that possibility doesn't seem nearly as outlandish as it did a few weeks ago. 

14-8 to get to 88 wins. 

Familia now with 47 saves and will likely end up in the top 5 save season in MLB history. He'll easily reach 53 and possibly above that, though Francisco Rodriguez 62 is safe...he may reach 55. 

Curious what kind of pitcher he'll be next season.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets need to go 16-6 to match last season's win total.  Not saying that they'll get there...but it's pretty amazing how that possibility doesn't seem nearly as outlandish as it did a few weeks ago. 

14-8 to get to 88 wins. 

I thought 88 wins was outlandish a few weeks ago

22 games left...gun to my head I'd probably say 12-10. 86-76. They'll slip up soon...things have gone too well of late. They probably fall a game short in my projections. 87-75 I think probably earns them a Postseason game.

Cards have 6 with the Cubs left (boy wouldn't they like to finish 'em off) and 4 with the Giants so it's not an easy road for them. 

7 with the Phillies, 6 with Atlanta, 3 with Minnesota.11-5 in that stretch has to happen. Then you can go ahead and split the remaining 6 games with the Marlins and Nats.

Edited by '7'

That has to be a troll job. Sandy has been known to troll before. Signing Tebow is a bush league move done by bush league teams who are craving relevancy and headlines. That's why the Braves are in on him

The Mets should be above this kind of chicanery by now. I mean with their precarious financial situation...they're going to throw money at Tebow?

2 hours ago, '7' said:

22 games left...gun to my head I'd probably say 12-10. 86-76. They'll slip up soon...things have gone too well of late. They probably fall a game short in my projections. 87-75 I think probably earns them a Postseason game.

Cards have 6 with the Cubs left (boy wouldn't they like to finish 'em off) and 4 with the Giants so it's not an easy road for them. 

7 with the Phillies, 6 with Atlanta, 3 with Minnesota.11-5 in that stretch has to happen. Then you can go ahead and split the remaining 6 games with the Marlins and Nats.

I detailed the Cards' schedule in a previous post...it's pretty rough.  Also helps the Mets a lot that the Cards and Giants have to play each other four times. 

The Mets really have to worry about their own business.  They win 14 out of their final 22 games (finishing the season on a 28-12 run), they will very likely get in.  But it just reiterates that going 14-4 in their last 18 games doesn't mean that they can level off (especially with the level of competition they'll be facing).  All they've done is get themselves fully back into the race.  Gotta keep winning to stay there. 

30 minutes ago, '7' said:

That has to be a troll job. Sandy has been known to troll before. Signing Tebow is a bush league move done by bush league teams who are craving relevancy and headlines. That's why the Braves are in on him

The Mets should be above this kind of chicanery by now. I mean with their precarious financial situation...they're going to throw money at Tebow?

Won't believe it until I see it. 

Guess maybe the baseball gods are feeling guilty for fvcking with the Mets all these years?  Suddenly damned near everything is going right.  Unless the gods are just setting us up for a final day Lucy-pulling-the-football-away-from-Charlie Brown scenario...

But just like that, the Mets are now right there.  One game back in the loss against the both the Giants (one game in hand on the Mets) and Cardinals (two games in hand on the Mets).  Cards make up one of those games in hand tonight. 

As we know, the Mets have gone 14-4 in their last 18 to pull this off.  For comparison's sake, the Cards have gone 9-9, and the Giants have gone 7-11 (17-32 in the second half of the season).  The Pirates and Marlins fared even worse:  both teams went 6-12 over their last 18. 

Insane if you really think about it:  how often do you see one team pick up 5 to 8 games on FOUR teams (all who were firmly in the WC chase) in such a short period of time?  We all suspected that SOMEONE was going to stop treading water out of this bunch eventually...I just didn't think it would be the Mets. 

Now you just wonder if/when the rest of the bunch (who've combined to go 28-44 while the Mets have been sizzling) start to pick it back up.  The Cards might have a rough time due to their upcoming schedule, but can the Giants, Pirates, and Marlins really continue to be THIS bad?

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I thought 88 wins was outlandish a few weeks ago

Who didn't?  I thought they'd still finish over .500 even when they were 60-62, but it was starting to feel like 83-84 wins, tops.  And no playoffs.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Jesus H Christ.  Guess Sandy wasn't getting enough attention lately. 

Other than being an annoying distraction for a little while, probably not much comes out of this.  Tebow likely struggles in the low minors and that will be that.

The funny part is didn't Sandy more or less poo-poo the possibility before the workout?

I'm just dreading the point where he's a September callup to sell tickets and people start complaining why we don't play him despite his .220 average in A-ball.  My PTSD from his Jet days is starting to kick in now :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

What is the point of signing on this unwanted distraction at this juncture of the season who can not in any way shape or form ever help the franchise? Why are you INVITING this BS into your home? 

This cant be Sandy...he's not this stupid. This was Wilpon driven from the beginning.

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The funny part is didn't Sandy more or less poo-poo the possibility before the workout?

I'm just dreading the point where he's a September callup to sell tickets and people start complaining why we don't play him despite his .220 average in A-ball.  My PTSD from his Jet days is starting to kick in now :lol:

He won't be a September callup this season.  They don't need him...for one, who even knows what position he'd play?  For another, where do you even call him up from?  Arizona Fall League doesn't even get underway until October 11. 

He's clearly a project (not a worthwhile one).  I think this actually flames out pretty quickly.  And it won't be a distraction to the players this season at least...but it will definitely be annoying come 2017 spring training. 

The response is exactly what you'd expect on twitter.

The Wilpons will always find new and creative reasons to make us hate them...that I'll give them. 

This is just beyond frustrating. I mean maybe MAYBE I could stomach this if we had 55 wins and just wanted a desperate hail mary at relevancy but you know what...this team had shed its laughingstock label. No more shirtless Bernazards or K-Rods beating up elderly father in laws or dropped Castillo pop ups.

Will this blow over? Yea sure it might, but does Mark Reynolds really need some wise cracking reporter asking if he'll give up his #15? I'm already hearing guys cracking he will "pray the injuries away"

Things were running very smoothly, why deliberately introduce something to the equation that can only do bad. There is no good that can come from Tebow anywhere in this organization.

If the Patriots can't make Tim Tebow happen, NOBODY can make Tim Tebow happen.

And by the way...Tebow is 6'3, 245 and an absolute load to bring down in the open field, he would be a player somewhere in the NFL right now if he wasn't so stubborn in thinking he is exclusively a QB.

16 hours ago, '7' said:

Hey you guys are gonna beat out the Yanks on the back page for another week. That's what it's all about!

You didn't read your first paragraph back to yourself and realize Queens was the only place he was going? One winning season and the Mets are the class of baseball?

42 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Hey you guys are gonna beat out the Yanks on the back page for another week. That's what it's all about!

You didn't read your first paragraph back to yourself and realize Queens was the only place he was going? One winning season and the Mets are the class of baseball?

So basically another week + the past 12 calendar months? And what happens after that week?

Two winning seasons. I think it's safe to say this will be a winning season despite some very tough adversity.