New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Gotta give Sandy credit that two years in a row he managed to fortify the pen in August with under the radar acquisitions (Reed then, Salas now).

Very true...no arguments there.

So if S. Louis loses tonight, doesn't that pretty much guarantee us a Wild Card game, either home or on the road. That would mean worst case scenario for us would be a 3 way tie.

I have no idea how 3 way tiebreakers even work with the 1 game WC playoff.

Thankfully it probably won't be an issue cause three way tiebreakers are stupid. It's basically a three game format.  The teams are ranked based on head to head, division record, whatever and each of them gets to choose a slot.

Iirc team A gets to play a game at home against team B, winner advances to the WC game, loser goes on the road against team C (the least desired designation cause they only get one shot to go to the WC game) in a second chance game. The loser of that game is out, the winner is the second team in the WC game. Not entirely sure how home field is applied.

But you're right, we can't be eliminated before Monday if the Cards lose one more game or we win one more.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And the Mets, despite playing .676 ball over their last 37 games overall, did leave the door open just a crack for a couple of weeks there...they did go 5-6 from 9/10 to 9/21 (the only time in their whole 37-game run that they really faltered, mostly due to the Braves sweep)...the Cards "responded" by going just 6-6, and the Giants went 5-7. 

I'm like most Mets fans deep-down...waiting for the shoe to drop, the bubble to burst, the worst-case scenario to force its way into those rare good moments...but I just think they've pretty much got this...I'm actually not thinking "Watch the Phillies sweep the Mets while the Cards and Giants suddenly wake up long enough to run the table".  The Cards and Giants both had their chances, and they've literally done nothing for weeks now.  Hell, even just the September records:  16-10 Mets, 12-14 Cards, 11-15 Giants

I guess I just can't get over the fact that, when we were all saying "It's only a matter of time before one of these teams gets hot...", that it would ever be the Mets. 

This team deserves a lot of credit for where they are. I know some folks haven't performed up to expectations, but considering all of the injuries, they've done a heck of a job to sit where they're at. Obviously they never hung with Washington, but we all knew before the season that the division winner would be decided by who was hit less with injuries... kudos to this team and what they've been able to do this year. 

Edited by nmigliore

16 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

This team deserves a lot of credit for where they are. I know some folks haven't performed up to expectations, but considering all of the injuries, they've done a heck of a job to sit where they're at. At the outlook of the season, the Mets looked liked they would be neck-and-neck with Washington, but that was before everyone realized Murphy was legit and that the Mets would be completely SLAMMED by injuries.

I've said it before, but the (semi-) unsung heroes have been Lugo and Gsellman.  If those guys come up and promptly do nothing, or perform like this year's Verrett or Montero, then we're talking about how all of the injuries killed the Mets. 

Reyes isn't the Reyes of young, but he's been both a sparkplug and occasionally timely.  And Loney was at least at the bottom end of passable.  Mets could have easily gotten next to nothing from both players.

Hell, they DID survive getting LITERALLY nothing from Jay Bruce for several weeks.  And friggin' d'Arnaud with an OPS+ of 70 and 15 RBI...they've clearly had some overachievers (like Cabrera), but for everyone one of him, it feels like there's a De Aza and d'Arnaud. 

My only beef is that TC is going to get way too much credit for this. 

re:  Washington, interesting in that they're not going into the playoffs with the team that took the field for most of the season.  Murph is supposed to be ready for the NLDS, but it sounds like he won't play until then.  Long layoff.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh well, Mets could only expect to get so much outside help (and they've gotten a LOT of it).  Like Has says, they really just need to worry about winning the series against the Phillies, and they'll be hosting the WC game.  Simple as that. 

And there's really no excuse for the Mets to not find a way to win two out of three...Phillies are 14-26 in their last 40 games and have been dreadful on the mound.  They also have the worst run differential in the league, at -183 (only the Twins at -172 are even in their neighborhood). 

Watch out for the Braves in 2017.  They've been up-and-down since that awful 18-46 start, but with this 10-1 surge that they're on, they're 48-46 in their last 94 games...and we saw them make life tough on the Mets more than once.  They could flirt with a winning record next season. 

Phillies have Asher on the mound tonight. That's what worries me...he's been decent for them (albeit in a tiny sample) among all the sh!t they've thrown out on the mound otherwise.

Our offense has at least over the past several weeks not looked awful. Even though they're still a bottom five offense they sure haven't played like a bottom five offense of late.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh well, Mets could only expect to get so much outside help (and they've gotten a LOT of it).  Like Has says, they really just need to worry about winning the series against the Phillies, and they'll be hosting the WC game.  Simple as that. 

And there's really no excuse for the Mets to not find a way to win two out of three...Phillies are 14-26 in their last 40 games and have been dreadful on the mound.  They also have the worst run differential in the league, at -183 (only the Twins at -172 are even in their neighborhood). 

Watch out for the Braves in 2017.  They've been up-and-down since that awful 18-46 start, but with this 10-1 surge that they're on, they're 48-46 in their last 94 games...and we saw them make life tough on the Mets more than once.  They could flirt with a winning record next season. 

Yea the Braves have turned this around and quickly, however you also have to take into consideration the Nats who will continue to be good (though next year I guarantee they won't be this lucky with injuries and over-performance) and the Mets with a healthy staff (and if they return Ces) are going to be extremely formidable. The Braves still have a lot of questions regarding staff and pen, but upper 70's in wins for 2017 is not out of the question for them.

Well the Mets' last game will not be on Sunday.  They just need one more win to not only lock up the WC but home field as well.

The interesting thing is Gsellman's really complicated the Bring Back Bart debate, he's earned the right to at least compete for the fifth spot in the rotation (likely beating out Wheeler and Lugo) next year.  Assuming the other four actually start the season healthy they theoretically wouldn't have room for Colon though we've gone through this before, a need always arises at SOME point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well the Mets' last game will not be on Sunday.  They just need one more win to not only lock up the WC but home field as well.

The interesting thing is Gsellman's really complicated the Bring Back Bart debate, he's earned the right to at least compete for the fifth spot in the rotation (likely beating out Wheeler and Lugo) next year.  Assuming the other four actually start the season healthy they theoretically wouldn't have room for Colon though we've gone through this before, a need always arises at SOME point.

As much as you can never have too much pitching (this team couldn't have proven that more conclusively), wow does next season get complicated...how do you tell Gsellman and Lugo to go back to the PCL in 2017, when both clearly deserve to start next year in the majors?  That would be so deflating for both of them.  I do think Lugo's luck will run out at some point, but still, Mets aren't on the brink of nabbing a WC berth without his contributions.  Hell of a job by a guy who never gets that kind of opportunity without catastrophic circumstances.

Until I see Wheeler actually pitch to live batters effectively, I can't consider him a part of the future anymore.  Two missed seasons is a lot.  

88 wins was the magic number forecast by many circles for quite some time...turns out that it will be 87 at most.  Either number seemed so daunting for the Mets at 60-62...28-12 or 27-13 couldn't have felt more pipe-dreamish, and yet here the Mets are...regardless of what happens from here on out, gotta give them so much credit for having pulled this off.   

And one last fvck you to the baseball gods.  Even you couldn't stop this rickety rag-tag bunch from sticking around.  But damn did you sure try.  

7 hours ago, '7' said:

33-13 in our last 46 at Citizens Bank Park.

I didn't know the Mets had played THAT well there...damn.  Would've been nice to have brought a fraction of that success to Turner.  Like Has said...kinda nice to finish up on the road in two buildings where there's plenty of Met faithful making their presence felt.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn't know the Mets had played THAT well there...damn.  Would've been nice to have brought a fraction of that success to Turner.  Like Has said...kinda nice to finish up on the road in two buildings where there's plenty of Met faithful making their presence felt.

We actually did go 7-2 against the Braves in Turner THIS year (although yeah historically that was not the case), it was freaking Citi where we couldn't buy a win against them in the second half.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as you can never have too much pitching (this team couldn't have proven that more conclusively), wow does next season get complicated...how do you tell Gsellman and Lugo to go back to the PCL in 2017, when both clearly deserve to start next year in the majors?  That would be so deflating for both of them.  I do think Lugo's luck will run out at some point, but still, Mets aren't on the brink of nabbing a WC berth without his contributions.  Hell of a job by a guy who never gets that kind of opportunity without catastrophic circumstances.

Until I see Wheeler actually pitch to live batters effectively, I can't consider him a part of the future anymore.  Two missed seasons is a lot.  

88 wins was the magic number forecast by many circles for quite some time...turns out that it will be 87 at most.  Either number seemed so daunting for the Mets at 60-62...28-12 or 27-13 couldn't have felt more pipe-dreamish, and yet here the Mets are...regardless of what happens from here on out, gotta give them so much credit for having pulled this off.   

And one last fvck you to the baseball gods.  Even you couldn't stop this rickety rag-tag bunch from sticking around.  But damn did you sure try.  

It wouldn't surprise me to see Matz or Gesellman traded. I definitely think their will some pitching moves this off-season.  I like both of these guys and I want to see them stay.  The Mets are going to need bullpen help.  So, do they keep Lugo and Gesellman in that type of role if no pitcher is moved? But you're right, these guys deserve next year,  and hell,  if the miracle redux occurs what then?

The Mets do need more offense...probably an arm or two will go in the offseason.  Would love to see them deal for a catcher, but I don't know who makes sense.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Mets do need more offense...probably an arm or two will go in the offseason.  Would love to see them deal for a catcher, but I don't know who makes sense.

I'm ok with giving Rivera half the games. He can play D, has power, calls a good game...the staff love him and he's got good power. So what if he may only give you like .200-.210 and a ton of K's. He does have legit power that has to be respected even if his k totals will be high

I'm done with d'Arnaud, but sadly I think the Mets will give him another chance. I would trade him. It ain't happening with him. The return won't be anything special but at least it'll be a warm body.

Nick Hundley would be a good ufa to target to split time with Rivera.

Not a fan of what Loney just did there. Hit a 2 run hr in the 6th inning to give your team a 4-2 lead...you dont throw both hands in the air and point to the dugout and flip the bat. That's bit much. If Bowa is still their bench coach he's going to be clammoring for a fastball to Loneys ribs.

Edited by '7'

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

If Bowa is still their bench coach he's going to be clammoring for a fastball to Loneys ribs.

He is, saw him yesterday make the pitching change after the manager got himself ejected.  And yeah not cool although maybe they're just annoyed at the stupid Phanatic doing nonsense earlier.  They seem a little...feisty today.  Even Reyes was jawing at someone on a foul ball a few minutes ago, can't tell whether it was a fan or not.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Great to see them celebrate in front of their fans. They really earned this. I'm not a fan of big blow outs for 1 one game playoff but...they really gutted it out and made an improbable run that nobody saw coming. Just yesterday we were 5.5 out and 2 under