New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

I would be a bit worried about them hitting walls at the same time though.

Sometimes a 3-5 week DL stint for something not arm related could actually be a blessing in disguise, and keep an arm fresher in October than the guys who were around and over 200 innings.

Regardless of what happens today I'm pretty much resigned to knowing the Cards are going to be there and they're going to be there to the bitter end with us in this WC chase. The contenders (us, St. Louis) separated themselves from the pretenders (Florida, Pittsburgh)

My sleeper blockbuster trade this offseason would be Pitt unloading McCutchen. That WAR has been plummeting, he's going to be 30. If they can unload that 13 mil and get back 3 good prospects they're doing it.

Edited by '7'

Just now, '7' said:

Sometimes a 3-5 week DL stint for something not arm related could actually be a blessing in disguise, and keep an arm fresher in October than the guys who were around and over 200 innings.

As long as you're lucky enough to get guys to fill in solidly in their absence.  We've gotten SO lucky with Lugo...even if there's some smoke and mirrors to his performances. 

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You never hear them constantly complain about mechanics or the weather being too hot or anything else.  They just go out and do their thing.  With our guys it sometimes feels like they won't be at their best unless everything's absolutely perfect. 

On another note, it will be kind of cool to know exactly where the Mets will stand before bedtime for a change. 

And on yet another note...if the Cubs hang on, their magic number to clinch their division will be down to one...they'll have essentially clinched a tie.  Next Cubs win or Cards loss wraps up the division for the Cubs.  It's been a foregone conclusion for a while that the Cubs would clinch early this season...but can't help but wonder just a little if they'll lose their edge.  They'll basically have little to play for several games...Washington is too far back to be able to make any kind of real run for home field throughout in the NL. 

I remember last year the Mets DID lose their edge and sort of puttered around after clinching in Cincinnati. They were so out of it that they sleepwalked through a Scherzer no hitter which created this bizarre scene where the disgraced Nationals who just had the Mets steamroller them for the divison...celebrate at Citi Field.

Edited by '7'

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Regardless of what happens today I'm pretty much resigned to knowing the Cards are going to be there and they're going to be there to the bitter end with us in this WC chase. The contenders (us, St. Louis) separated themselves from the pretenders (Florida, Pittsburgh)

My sleeper blockbuster trade this offseason would be Pitt unloading McCutchen. That WAR has been plummeting, he's going to be 30. If they can unload that 13 mil and get back 3 good prospects they're doing it.

McCutchen is intriguing...if his 2018 option isn't picked up ($1 million buyout), he's basically due $15 million ($14 million in 2017 + the 2018 buyout).  Pirates might be better off keeping him...his value as a 2017 rental will be a lot higher if he has a bounceback year.  If I'm a GM I can't help but wonder if McCutchen is on a quick decline. 

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

I remember last year the Mets DID lose their edge and sort of puttered around after clinching in Cincinnati. They were so out of it that they sleepwalked through a Scherzer no hitter which created this bizarre scene where the disgraced Nationals who just had the Mets steamroller them for the divison...celebrate at Citi Field.

Yeah, I remember that too.  I think they did a mental victory dance for about a week.

Padres already leading the Giants 1-0 after one.  The Giants are the team that really needs to start worrying...they been playing what amounts to bad baseball for a full third of a season now...at least the Cards haven't completely fallen to pieces (it's just them and the Mets that haven't, when you come right down to it). The Giants' 20-34 post-ASB record extrapolates to a 60-102 full season record.  Of course the 2016 Giants would never play that poorly over 162 games...but just another reminder of how poorly they've played for a long time. 

Lester goes 8 scoreless and needs just 104 pitches (13 pitches per inning) to do it.  Nice work. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I remember that too.  I think they did a mental victory dance for about a week.

Padres already leading the Giants 1-0 after one.  The Giants are the team that really needs to start worrying...they been playing what amounts to bad baseball for a full third of a season now...at least the Cards haven't completely fallen to pieces (it's just them and the Mets that haven't, when you come right down to it). The Giants' 20-34 post-ASB record extrapolates to a 60-102 full season record.  Of course the 2016 Giants would never play that poorly over 162 games...but just another reminder of how poorly they've played for a long time. 

It's actually closing in on historically bad in terms of where they were at the ASB. Kind of reminds me of the 1991 Mets.

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's actually closing in on historically bad in terms of where they were at the ASB. Kind of reminds me of the 1991 Mets.

Yeah, that team just feel to pieces so quickly.  They were 53-38, then it was just this insane crash and burn...they went 4-23 seemingly out of nowhere, and from 4 games out to 12.5 games out.  They kind of stabilized and went 20-23 to close the season (they finished 77-84), but I remember thinking "WTF is HAPPENING?!" 

Wow, Cubs now up by a touchdown.  Cards about to be 33-41 at home.  Weird.

You just KNOW Bruceless Useless will ground into a DP or K here.

Yep, a K.  Awesome trade Sandy.  Thanks again.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Jay Bruce and Jason Bay have more in common than initials at this point :argh:

At least with Bay, there were some reason to think he'd be better than he turned out to be.  It was SUCH a different story with Bruce. 

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

I find it unfathomable that this guy was the NL LEADER in RBI's before coming here.  Now he's like 25 behind Nolan Arenado.

He feasted on the bandbox.  His home park was absurd.  A pure launching pad if there ever was one. 

The main positive is that with each successive failure, hopefully Passive is realizing that this guy is NOT insurance in the slightest for Cespedes leaving.  Don't even pick up the option.  Yeah, it sucks, it cost the Mets Herrera, but no reason to compound the mistake by keeping him around. 

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He feasted on the bandbox.  His home park was absurd.  A pure launching pad if there ever was one. 

The main positive is that with each successive failure, hopefully Passive is realizing that this guy is NOT insurance in the slightest for Cespedes leaving.  Don't even pick up the option.  Yeah, it sucks, it cost the Mets Herrera, but no reason to compound the mistake by keeping him around. 

It's not even really that so much.  He had 25 HR's and 80 RBI's in 370 AB's with Cinci, 14 HR's and 43 of the RBI's came in 186 AB's at Great American ballpark.  His home/road splits are actually fairly even for the season though that includes his Met tenure too.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/28954/jay-bruce

He's just one of those guys that likes playing in the small town with no pressure on him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think playing in that bandbox/low pressure environment sort of made Bruce comfortable. I don't know how many meaningless up 10-1 or down 1-10 HR's he's hit in his career but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a lot.

It's amazing when you think last year...Gomez, and this year Bruce. If we didn't fall ass backwards into Cespedes Sandy would be getting a ton more heat right now. Essentially he would've acquired two players who would've put on Mets uniforms and appeared to be IMMEDIATELY finished.

If there was any doubt, there can't be anymore.  Rene Rivera has to be the starting catcher for this team.

30 minutes ago, '7' said:

I think playing in that bandbox/low pressure environment sort of made Bruce comfortable. I don't know how many meaningless up 10-1 or down 1-10 HR's he's hit in his career but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a lot.

It's amazing when you think last year...Gomez, and this year Bruce. If we didn't fall ass backwards into Cespedes Sandy would be getting a ton more heat right now. Essentially he would've acquired two players who would've put on Mets uniforms and appeared to be IMMEDIATELY finished.

Only thing is if we didn't get/have Cespedes they wouldn't have even been IN the race this year enough to bother trading for Bruce.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as it sucks I agree.  However,  you know that's not likely. That would be admitting a mistake and that's not something Sandy Alderson does. 

d'Arnaud is at a major career crossroads. Not a prospect anymore. Going to be 28 next season. Can't stay healthy. Very poor catcher with no sign of improvement. Spotty...mostly poor and unreliable hitter.

If you are a catcher who can hit and not field...you get moved

If you are a catcher who can't hit but can call a good game and play your position you can play in the majors forever seemingly.

If you're d'Arnaud, you're going to be out of an MLB job very soon. Honestly he should just forget catching, learn the corner outfield positions and try 3B as well...make yourself versatile, and hope that keeps you healthy enough. Maybe the nagging injuries and constant in and out of the lineup has contributed to his bad hitting. He has had some stretches where he's shown power, as well as an ability to draw walks. I mean a .340obp in 240 at bats is pretty nice...even if he's only done it once.

Edited by '7'

hmm. Not watching but they pulled Gsellman at 77 pitches. 2 outs and Murphy was up. Yes it's a dangerous spot but...77 pitches? 

I'm just not a fan of emptying the pen out today. We still have a stretch to go. Not like we were ahead or anything either.

Edited by '7'

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

hmm. Not watching but they pulled Gsellman at 77 pitches. 2 outs and Murphy was up. Yes it's a dangerous spot but...77 pitches? 

I'm just not a fan of emptying the pen out today. We still have a stretch to go. Not like we were ahead or anything either.

It DID look like Gsellman was tiring a little, the last out was a deep screamer by Werth that Cespedes caught on the warning track over his head.  That plus the lefties coming up in a scoring situation spot made it a pull situation.  He also crapped out at about 80 pitches in the last game too.  The odd part was if you're going to walk Murphy you might as well let Gsellman do it.

And of course freaking Wilson Ramos burns us.  If it isn't Murphy it's him :P

Edited by NJDevs4978