New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Colon with six shutout innings today.  Amazing how that guy can look like he'll be finished any day, but will then turn in a start like that.  Still has me nervous.

Rough one for Harvey.  BTW Harvey, deGrom, and Familia were on the cover of SI for this week's baseball preview issue (different covers for different regions).  Hope the cover jinx doesn't come into play...

As for the issue itself...they predict that the pitching staff might be the first to K 1000 batters.  They missed the boat on some things:  they think Lucas Duda is dangerous, and they actually wrote that David Wright gets big hits when he has to (clearly they don't watch this team on anywhere near a daily basis to come up with THAT).  

They have the Mets winning 95 games and winning the NL East, but losing to the Dodgers in an NL Division Series.  They predict Houston winning the World Series at the Cubs' expense.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:57 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rough one for Harvey.  BTW Harvey, deGrom, and Familia were on the cover of SI for this week's baseball preview issue (different covers for different regions).  Hope the cover jinx doesn't come into play...

As for the issue itself...they predict that the pitching staff might be the first to K 1000 batters.  They missed the boat on some things:  they think Lucas Duda is dangerous, and they actually wrote that David Wright gets big hits when he has to (clearly they don't watch this team on anywhere near a daily basis to come up with THAT).  

They have the Mets winning 95 games and winning the NL East, but losing to the Dodgers in an NL Division Series.  They predict Houston winning the World Series at the Cubs' expense.  

Harvey also had another primadonna comment the other day ("Haters are just jealous of my life") or something like that. Didn't really make much waves with it since it's March and all but whenever I have hope he's growing up something like this slips out.

Any issue that says David Wright gets big hits is immediate birdcage liner for me...though I personally am sick of MY OWN :P criticism of Wright. He's been through and stomached a lot as a Met. Now the back issue. We know what he's about, we know his failings. I'll try to bite my tongue when he comes up in big spots.

I was more criticizing SI than anything else...what becomes obvious in some of these preview editions is that the writers don't really watch many of the games of the teams they're detailing.  They probably just saw Duda's solid HR totals of the past two seasons and Wright's respectable BA and OB% in limited duty last season and drew their conclusions based in those numbers.  It just becomes very obvious very quickly that we probably could've done a better job writing up a preview article on the Mets than they did.   

Mets now 0-7-2 in their last nine spring training games.  Really hard to make a big deal out of spring won-lost results, but Harvey and Matz have been a little concerning to this point.  Matz is still unproven (but gets treated like he is) and Harvey's walks are uncharacteristic.  Mets need this rotation to live up to its billing...their offense isn't going to be good enough to cover for them.

Mets tie Nats, third straight tie, 0-7-3 in their last 10 games.  Actually going to the game tomorrow (Roger Dean Stadium) vs. the Cards...never been to a spring training game before, just wish I could've seen someone other than Colon.  

Matz with a mixed-bag kind of outing...only one hit allowed in 5.2 IP, but four walks as well.  Everything continues to point to Matz experiencing growing pains in his first full season in the majors.

Wright with a HR today.  Wow.  

Nice ballpark here at Roger Dean.  Colon with a Colon-like outing...lots of hittable strikes.  Cards with a lot of good cuts.  Very hot initially but has somewhat cooled down.  Place is packed, definitely a nice amount of Met fans here.  Food service is as slow as it gets.  

Mets continuing not to hit much.  A bit concerning.

Have to admit...a losing streak of this length, even in spring training has me a little bit worried. Sure none of this sh!t counts but if you had a football team that lost all 4 pre season games it's hard not to be a little worried

FWIW Braves released Nick Swisher.

lol even NYFS is making comments like that, I didn't think they were allowed to speculate on a guy's private life over there :P

It wouldn't surprise me if it was mono or whatever either.

"He had a symptom. It was investigated, so we're still in that process." Alderson on Harvey

Edited by NJDevs4978

God this guy is such a drama king.  sh!t just has a way of finding him.  Can never be simple with him.

Anyway, first prediction of 2016:  Terry Collins won't make it through the season.  I get the feeling this team is going to start slow, and though I'm not a big TC guy, he'll be made the scapegoat, under not-completely-fair circumstances.  I have no idea who replaces him. 

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If Collins wasn't fired last year with the team at .500 after the great start I can't really see a scenario where he gets canned this year, barring some issue with a key member of the team (Harvey/Cespedes).

I thought about that too Has, but I think Sandy feels that Terry has the horses now.  I don't think he'll have the same patience, and we know Sandy's not a big TC fan to begin with.

Let's face it, if the Mets don't at least make the playoffs again, it's going to be a disaster.  These pitchers are only going to be cheap for so long.  

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice ballpark here at Roger Dean.  Colon with a Colon-like outing...lots of hittable strikes.  Cards with a lot of good cuts.  Very hot initially but has somewhat cooled down.  Place is packed, definitely a nice amount of Met fans here.  Food service is as slow as it gets.  

Mets continuing not to hit much.  A bit concerning.

Part of me wants to go to a ST game but part of me thinks I'd just be bored after a couple innings though I understand in ST sometimes the players stay around and mingle with the fans after they come out or in the postgame since they're such small venues.  I did go to a Cyclones game once, I think Beltran was even playing a rehab game at the time.  The only other player I remember was Jordany Valdespin, mainly cause he had such a cooky name I couldn't forget it :lol:

I am going to Opening Day this year, ironically the first time I've gone to Citi since the Flores game against the Nats last year.  Finally decided to take off for an Opening Day, especially with it being a Friday, deGrom pitching and the anticipation for this season.  I'll probably wind up going to at least 10-12 games this year since I bought one of the 20-game plans and a lot of the games have some promo/matchup I do want to go to.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Has, re:  spring training games...I'd say it's kind of fun to do once or twice, for novelty reasons.  The intimacy of the much smaller spring training parks makes for an entirely different experience obviously, and yeah, if you stick around (or get there very early), you could have more interaction with the players than you ever would otherwise.  

We left after the Mets' turn at bat in the 7th...my wife and daughter were pretty bored (it was definitely not a terribly exciting game), but mostly I could tell that the post-game traffic was going to be a nightmare and then some.  They have $6 parking that means you have to trek somewhat to get to the stadium, and then $10 preferred parking that gets you very close to the stadium...there's a standard lot and a 4-level parking garage.  The standard lot was full by the time we got there, and we wound up having to go to the third level of the garage to find a spot. If we had stayed for the whole game, judging by the volume of cars and the roads leading out, we would've been stuck near the stadium for 90 mins to two hours easily.  

So, Has, I would say don't feel like you're missing much if you decide never to attend a spring training game.  I want to see one at the Mets facility for the hell of it (probably next year), and then unless my daughter shows a lot of interest, I likely won't go to another one.  

7 hours ago, '7' said:

Pepsi Porch was replaced by the Coke Corner

CeV9i-yWQAAX32B.jpg

If this doesn't work out, what's next?  The RC Retreat?  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Has, re:  spring training games...I'd say it's kind of fun to do once or twice, for novelty reasons.  The intimacy of the much smaller spring training parks makes for an entirely different experience obviously, and yeah, if you stick around (or get there very early), you could have more interaction with the players than you ever would otherwise.  

We left after the Mets' turn at bat in the 7th...my wife and daughter were pretty bored (it was definitely not a terribly exciting game), but mostly I could tell that the post-game traffic was going to be a nightmare and then some.  They have $6 parking that means you have to trek somewhat to get to the stadium, and then $10 preferred parking that gets you very close to the stadium...there's a standard lot and a 4-level parking garage.  The standard lot was full by the time we got there, and we wound up having to go to the third level of the garage to find a spot. If we had stayed for the whole game, judging by the volume of cars and the roads leading out, we would've been stuck near the stadium for 90 mins to two hours easily.  

So, Has, I would say don't feel like you're missing much if you decide never to attend a spring training game.  I want to see one at the Mets facility for the hell of it (probably next year), and then unless my daughter shows a lot of interest, I likely won't go to another one.  

Hah I had no idea how hard it is to get in and out.  I might complain about needing two hours to get from Morristown to Citi Field but at least it's a (mostly) direct route with the train and no chance of traffic or having to search half an hour for a parking spot.  Are there any hotels within walking distance of the field or do you really need to live in the immediate vicinity there to escape the traffic?

Keep in mind that I wasn't in Port St. Lucie...I was at the Cardinals/Marlins field (Jupiter).  The stadium is actually part of a golf club and small college.  There really wasn't much around the campus, but the club and campus themselves were quite nice...almost had a Williamsburg-vibe to them.  It's only about a mile or so off I-95, but it's getting to the road that takes you to 95 that is the real obstacle.  Didn't see any hotels nearby.

I don't know anything about Port St. Lucie, but supposedly it's a pretty dead area.  

18 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently Harvey's issue was actually blood clot(s) in his bladder but supposedly he's fine and ready for Opening Day, crisis averted.

Get the feeling the symptoms might have mimicked some possible STDs (painful/burning urination), so that was the scare part of this whole thing.  Of course with the Mets, with their very long history of amateurism, situations like this are always going to make them look untrustworthy, and with Harvey...well, he may be very very good, but he's also very very unlikable.  Something about him makes it very easy to get sick of him.  If he doesn't produce, fans are going to be all over him much more so than they would be the other young arms.

The A&W Awning

The Nehi Nook